Autopsy Port Adelaide this Friday - Now post match discussion (for gluttons)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Port Adelaide this Friday

Some decent knowledge in this thread, good luck to you guys this weekend.

We have looked alright so far this year, and this will be the first week where we look like pretty much a full squad.

Still missing a couple; Hartlett, Banner, Phillips, Moore, Pittard and Brett Ebert.

But we are almost full squad. We have minimal injuries at the moment so there are a lot of players who are only out due to form (Banner, Moore.)

Our strengths so far this year have been our rucking department (lead by youngster Redden) who is 205cm, and a big unit. His second efforts are some of the best we have seen for a youngster, and has played pretty well down around the ground aswell. Solid hands.

Our forwards are an interesting story with Butcher starting well this year following on from last year, but we have several more options up forward and this is the first week where we will see them all play at once. Schulz has started the season well, but the standout has been Daniel Stewart. He has marked strongly, kicked goals, and done some brilliant things around the ground. With Westhoff coming back in this week, our forward line is quiet tall - will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Another one to watch is Wingard - kid is a jet and I think you guys will be impressed by him.

Our defense has been solidish this year, but probably our weakest link. Trengove has impressed, but we are yet to see a perfect Chaplin and Carlile combination. This week will be the first week where they are both lining up.

Anyway, wish I knew more about the Dee's to be able to comment on match ups, will have to do my research before Friday and will post up my thoughts.

Really looking forward to seeing Jimmy play for you guys, where has been playing?

Some decent knowledge in this thread, good luck to you guys this weekend.

We have looked alright so far this year, and this will be the first week where we look like pretty much a full squad.

Still missing a couple; Hartlett, Banner, Phillips, Moore, Pittard and Brett Ebert.

But we are almost full squad. We have minimal injuries at the moment so there are a lot of players who are only out due to form (Banner, Moore.)

Our strengths so far this year have been our rucking department (lead by youngster Redden) who is 205cm, and a big unit. His second efforts are some of the best we have seen for a youngster, and has played pretty well down around the ground aswell. Solid hands.

Our forwards are an interesting story with Butcher starting well this year following on from last year, but we have several more options up forward and this is the first week where we will see them all play at once. Schulz has started the season well, but the standout has been Daniel Stewart. He has marked strongly, kicked goals, and done some brilliant things around the ground. With Westhoff coming back in this week, our forward line is quiet tall - will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Another one to watch is Wingard - kid is a jet and I think you guys will be impressed by him.

Our defense has been solidish this year, but probably our weakest link. Trengove has impressed, but we are yet to see a perfect Chaplin and Carlile combination. This week will be the first week where they are both lining up.

Anyway, wish I knew more about the Dee's to be able to comment on match ups, will have to do my research before Friday and will post up my thoughts.

Really looking forward to seeing Jimmy play for you guys, where has been playing?

I really want to see Wingard, but I don't think this game is televised...

Sellar? Half-back, been OK, made some poor decisions and his skills have let him down. Does the same job as Rivers does, so it will be interesting this year.

Well that's my take on Sellar anyway, doesn't help I have been pissed watching every NAB cup match thus far as I don't have Foxtel.

The 4 from our top 22 I think are missing are Magner (MID, already), Jurrah, Grimes and Tapscott, but that's just my 2c

We have a solid backline lining up, just need to not get killed out of the centre!

Sellar is just a replacment for Warnock, but better lol

Is this a statement by Neeld? I dont think he was impressed with Watts efforts last week despite the media saying he 'backs him'. I know i wasnt impressed.

At least I know ill get 100% efforts out of Petterd, Green, Howe, & Dunn.

It could very well be that or it could simply be an opportunity for Watts to get some confidence back and set himself up for Round One.

Having said that I don't think he is a certainty to play against the Lions and I don't mind Neeld taking that stance either. Set the example early that poor performances won't be tolerated.

Port have been interdependently filming every game we play and posting the full game online for our supporters.

Recently we have put one of our media guys on to commentate as well, and for a video by the club its pretty damn good. Guy has a great knowledge of both our team, as well as the opposition.

So if its not on Telly, we should be able to post something up for you on Saturday.

Utter bollocks from Neeld IMO. Already given him two sprays, why drop him after not doing anything wrong?

Utter bollocks from Neeld IMO. Already given him two sprays, why drop him after not doing anything wrong?

The level of criticism he cops is largely unrelated to his actual performance now IMO. Perception has become reality. I can't understand the thinking behind the 'Watts Dropped' headline on the mfc website. It's already on radio, and could well turn in to another watts bashing exercise. If they want to give him a kick up the arse publicly, surely this has already been achieved in the last month. Others may disagree but I'm not sure this is the best way to get the most of of him.

I think we will have a much better idea of what watts can really be at the end of this year.

Poor choice by Neeld.

We get slaughtered and you drop the media's favorite punching bag; who happened to play deep forward in a 80 point loss!!

This is where I was slightly surprised at Fitzpatrick being omitted from the lineup, would be Redden's equal in that area, showed a little bit against Collingwood in the ruck.

Our defence was torn to shreds last week, with Franklin kicking five and Hale six. But IIRC Frawley was subbed out at half time, and we kept Davis on Hale to teach him a lesson. I think our team is closer to a round one team than last week, even with Watts dropped.

Saw a bit of him in the first round of the NAB Cup, he's very good.

Definitely be wary of Howe and Clark, both of them presented really well last week despite limited opportunity (remember we only kicked six goals) ;)

Howe is one of the more talented medium sized forwards we've had for a while, someone who has cemented a spot in the best 22 unlike players such as Maric, Hughes etc.

Think carefully about our potential forward line set up and look at form and effort during the NAB Cup - who would you take out for Watts? Clark and Martin/Jamar are down there with, potentially, Howe, Petterd, Green, Dunn, Sylvia and Trengove with Davey and Blease the crumbers. All of them, as much as I hate to say it, have done more than Watts.

There's no way Watts is in our best 22 on NAB form. It's a fair decision (although I think we should move him up the ground for another 12 months).

I notice with Blease and Davey playing forward, and Bennell in defense - we are looking decidedly slow through the midfield which could cause us problems.

Cheers for all the info tasmanlvr!

May post a Match Up Thread later tonight, depending on how drunk I get. They seem to be more entertaining when I am a little bit/alot wasted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Title of the article has been changed, and it now says watts has the week off http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/130646/default.aspx :confused:

It's not surprising - it was the reporter who used the word dropped, it was never quoted by anyone from the club. The FD would have been pretty pissed off about it to be honest.

I still think he deserves the rest as many others have been performing better but dropped was not the right word.

Would be good to see Neville up forward too don't ya reckon Syl? :p

I want to see a gameplan implemented well. Could care less who wins.

I want a kick in strategy of high efficiency, and not to get smashed in clearances.

Some forward pressure, not the ball just coming straight out of our forward line (Here's looking at you, Davey!)

We still have 4 of our top 22 unavailable (Grimes, Tapscott, Magner, Jurrah), so there's room for fringe players to stand up.

I hope Trenners and Beamer can get some form up before the real stuff, haven't seen much of it yet.

Jones is going to win our BnF this year, prety much a shoe in!

I still think he deserves the rest as many others have been performing better but dropped was not the right word.

I honestly have never thought Watts has shown that he deserved the spot in our side, was there purely because he was the no 1 draft pick and his "potential".
Had hoped Neeld would make him earn his spot (same as Morton) good to see the he will have to.

As for giving him the week off" Neeld has long said that this pre-season game was always going to be the the one with the closest thing you can get to full strength.
It says a lot that both Cale and Watts have been "given the week off" this week.

What?!?

9th in the BnF isn't earning your spot??

Morton will play for Casey I think; returning from injury.

we're going to use BnF votes to determine that?
He's been in the side for 2 seasons, how many games would you say he's beaten his opponent and provided any kind of value to the team? Not to mention that he's meant to be a target forward.
Now fine he's a kid and it (was) early but if he's going to pay his dues, learn the game at the top level etc it should be by coming up through the 2nds etc.
he's had his spot handed to him and been asked to do very little to keep it. It's not what great clubs do.

Article: 'Watts rested not dropped' is the title of the latest article.

Lol they know they messed this one up, Matt Burgan wrote the first from memory.

DANGER: Port's playin damn well

Irrelevant mate... Although its nice to win, it really means squat until the real stuff starts.

Hoping we play some sharp footy and have no injuries.

Might stroll across to AAMI and check it out... Howe becoming one of my favourites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back