Picola & District SE 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing Shepp East have decided to affiliate with AFLGM

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

If true I’m sure AFLvic are relieved as it claws back some of the $80k they have been ripping off us for nothing in return.

This is a stand to retain freedom and a say, if Shepp East choose to go that is their right to do so.
Which is a far cry from the dictatorial behaviour we get from AFLvic and AFLGM.

We know we are up against a corporate giant who can manipulate media reporting to ensure it sounds like the pdfnl boat is sinking. It’s not sinking we are having a major change for the better which I anticipate (I bet AFLvic are afraid of) will prove successful and in time other leagues will realise they too can have a choice if they wish.

i Think the boys club is nervous and desperate to make big issues of things. One club two clubs four clubs the issue is the same for those that stay and that is ownership of our league and retaining a say in how darn much we pay for administrators.

Last edited:
Gleeson is well protected by the boys club as he had done nothing to warrant his job. He has deliberately been a divisive leader and if he didn’t have his “mates” protection he really should be sacked.

Doubters can doubt but they should simply compare pdfnl results with GVFL results to see who knows how to
spin a very good yarn and little else. Hint: GVFL money flying out the door!! If other leagues want to know how we do it then it’s easy join under us. In a collaborative fashion with no one being owned where we jointly decide what services to collaborate on but still owning our soul.

AFLvic and AFLGM have done a great job of scaring people and some do wear rose coloured glasses when they hear AFL but peel back layers and there is nothing tangible they offer.

I’m glad you admit others don’t care for communities and local clubs as that is the crux of the issue and is definately where Gleeson sits and maybe that is where the split will crack those that do care and then the corporate mindset.

Pdfnl is a family league, community and family is what we are about!! This is not about two blokes at all, although I bet AFLGM is trying to argue that. This is about how we want our league to be as it has been for decades OURS and one that does care!!

I am amused how you continue to harp on about the boys club at AFL GM when in the PDFNL - a well known, highly respected and excellent businessman - resigned from his role as Operations manager in 2016 due to differences with the board (cobram courier oct 2016) - the league president at the time -> Shane Railton - and who took over the role -> the same Shane Railton - wow now that's a coincidence??? not,

Ever since the 'fight' with AFL GM has escalated ....... but you continue to insist it isn't 'personal' - well that isn't the way others around the league feel talking to those at grass roots level -
Pretty sure the previous operations manager wouldn't have 'accidentally' not sent a rather important email which quite obviously acted as a trigger point leading to the removal of the opportunity for negotiations.
EVERY other league manages to talk to AFL GM - the MFL have just signed off on their affiliation agreement to roll over unchanged for another year with clear intent not to surrender administration - pretty sure they haven't just rolled over and complied and aren't going to anytime in the foreseeable future - you have to look at the why this league can not get a fair hearing
oh wait - they did, at AFL Vic level and rejected that.
hmm says a lot that - when you negotiate you actually have to give a bit to get something in return - now you get to loose faith of ??how many?? clubs and are due to see a break up of a successful league - sad really.

I am amused how you continue to harp on about the boys club at AFL GM when in the PDFNL - a well known, highly respected and excellent businessman - resigned from his role as Operations manager in 2016 due to differences with the board (cobram courier oct 2016) - the league president at the time -> Shane Railton - and who took over the role -> the same Shane Railton - wow now that's a coincidence??? not,

Ever since the 'fight' with AFL GM has escalated ....... but you continue to insist it isn't 'personal' - well that isn't the way others around the league feel talking to those at grass roots level -
Pretty sure the previous operations manager wouldn't have 'accidentally' not sent a rather important email which quite obviously acted as a trigger point leading to the removal of the opportunity for negotiations.
EVERY other league manages to talk to AFL GM - the MFL have just signed off on their affiliation agreement to roll over unchanged for another year with clear intent not to surrender administration - pretty sure they haven't just rolled over and complied and aren't going to anytime in the foreseeable future - you have to look at the why this league can not get a fair hearing
hmm says a lot that - when you negotiate you actually have to give a bit to get something in return - now you get to loose faith of ??how many?? clubs and are due to see a break up of a successful league - sad really.

Well said Browntown so true once a very good league is going to be dismantled by the look of it

Not enjoying your new job carrying sugar bags around at MON ?

Reaper presented a similar case when explaining why the Picola situation had been handled with a finality other leagues across the state had not experienced.
"You've got regional commissions that are charged with the responsibility of working with their respective leagues , so they're all going to be different, there is no uniformity on it " he told The Weekly Times.
" Each of them work at not only different paces, but in different ways . Some do it with a degree of good will , others haven't been able to achieve that, hence part of the reason why we were there ( Thursday ) night ."

Last edited:

So an operations manager who wouldn’t abide by decisions of the board, a board voted in by the clubs, you know democracy and in effect is his boss is the person I should listen to? Not on your life that would be a man who should and could well be part of said boys club. His choice to resign no respect from me though as it’s obvious he wanted to be in charge without the democratic authority.

So an operations manager who wouldn’t abide by decisions of the board, a board voted in by the clubs, you know democracy and in effect is his boss is the person I should listen to? Not on your life that would be a man who should and could well be part of said boys club. His choice to resign no respect from me though as it’s obvious he wanted to be in charge without the democratic authority.

Just saying 2 weeks from league president to operations manager seems an awfully short turn around...... sounds very jobs for the boys to me, that's my opinion, I don't require you to share it.

also when you talk about how the operations manager has to do what the board and therefore clubs want - I have never seen anyone as humbled and awkward as Railton in interviews last year when the clubs united to have his and the boards defection from AFL GM affiliation reversed. And the clubs thought discussions would continue from that point to resolve the issues and to ensure that situation didn't re-occur - yet here they are, again. Go figure.

Not enjoying your new job carrying sugar bags around at MON ?

Reaper presented a similar case when explaining why the Picola situation had been handed with an finality other leagues across the state had not experienced.
"You've got regional commissions that are charged with the responsibility of working with their respective leagues , so they're all going to be different, there is no uniformity on it " he told The Weekly Times.
" Each of them work at not only different paces, but in different ways . Some do it with a degree of good will , others haven't been able to achieve that, hence part of the reason why we were there ( Thursday ) night ."

As I have had the same job for over twenty five years and it has nothing to do with sugar bags not quite sure what your first comment is referring too???? Weird!!!

Secondly - pretty sure Reaper's comments you have quoted above refers to how different commissions each deal differently with the group of leagues they handle as a whole and not how they deal differently with individual leagues within their area - but twist the meaning to suit yourself.

As I have had the same job for over twenty five years and it has nothing to do with sugar bags not quite sure what your first comment is referring too???? Weird!!!

Secondly - pretty sure Reaper's comments you have quoted above refers to how different commissions each deal differently with the group of leagues they handle as a whole and not how they deal differently with individual leagues within their area - but twist the meaning to suit yourself.
" Why the Picola situation had been handled with a finality other leagues across the state had not experienced. "
When talking about commissions.
"Some do it with a degree of good will , others haven't been able to achieve that, hence part of the reason why we were there "

Last edited:
Just saying 2 weeks from league president to operations manager seems an awfully short turn around...... sounds very jobs for the boys to me, that's my opinion, I don't require you to share it.

also when you talk about how the operations manager has to do what the board and therefore clubs want - I have never seen anyone as humbled and awkward as Railton in interviews last year when the clubs united to have his and the boards defection from AFL GM affiliation reversed. And the clubs thought discussions would continue from that point to resolve the issues and to ensure that situation didn't re-occur - yet here they are, again. Go figure.

Nah let’s not gloss over my comments about the previous operations manager good try though. I’ll be direct again any person who goes to the papers in the manner he did was deliberately trying to undermine his previous employer that’s very appallingly form and he strikes me as very vengeful. Also it was very much look at me look at me. Geez wonder how much trouble he caused whilst in the position??

Another thing we have very good businessmen on the board and you are deliberately trying to make this out to be a one person decision.

Jobs for boys ? Umm I’m pretty sure clubs can send a clear message via voting that they aren’t happy. Do you even understand the difference I’m referring to?

It’s all about choice. Having a choice like now or having no choice at all.

Club presidents meeting tonight. received an extension to allow a decision to made after this meeting

I assume the presidents have to go back to their clubs after the meeting before a decision is made? Don’t understand why the clubs have be given an extension and negotiated with. Wouldn’t it have been better to offer that to the league instead??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah let’s not gloss over my comments about the previous operations manager good try though. I’ll be direct again any person who goes to the papers in the manner he did was deliberately trying to undermine his previous employer that’s very appallingly form and he strikes me as very vengeful. Also it was very much look at me look at me. Geez wonder how much trouble he caused whilst in the position??

Another thing we have very good businessmen on the board and you are deliberately trying to make this out to be a one person decision.

Jobs for boys ? Umm I’m pretty sure clubs can send a clear message via voting that they aren’t happy. Do you even understand the difference I’m referring to?

It’s all about choice. Having a choice like now or having no choice at all.

Just because you say it - doesn't make it so.

The previous operations manager certainly never ran to the media as you have indicated above, he was extremely reluctant to say anything - it was only after repeated requests from the local press (who were acting on behalf of the numerous locals who wanted clarification over the resignation) - that he finally answered their questions, clarified the reason for his 'mutually agreed upon departure' and removed the speculation and muck spreading that had been occurring by 'his previous employer'.
If you are going to get into the business of character assassination - pays to actually get your facts right.

As for your second point about clubs voting to send a message they aren't happy - pretty sure that's what they did last year which made to board have to do a u-turn on the affiliation agreement ??? And as I said - 12 months down the road and here they are meeting again.....

The previous operations manager certainly never ran to the media as you have indicated above, he was extremely reluctant to say anything - it was only after repeated requests from the local press (who were acting on behalf of the numerous locals who wanted clarification over the resignation) - that he finally answered their questions, clarified the reason for his 'mutually agreed upon departure' and removed the speculation and muck spreading that had been occurring by 'his previous employer'.
If you are going to get into the business of character assassination - pays to actually get your facts right.

As for your second point about clubs voting to send a message they aren't happy - pretty sure that's what they did last year which made to board have to do a u-turn on the affiliation agreement ??? And as I said - 12 months down the road and here they are meeting again.....
We can all make unvalidated frivilous accusations.

if someone “answers” the press it’s on them how their character is viewed and in my opinion he was undermining the board as it sounds like he wanted all his way. Just my opinion you don’t have to share it but I am allowed to judge it given you brought him up. Oh and didn’t he stuff up the netball vote count?? Quite embarrassing for the league at a time we are under “attack” Don’t you think?

It’s interesting you lay no blame at aFL
who refused to allow the board in for a combined meeting that may well have clarified things . Afterall it’s our board who are voted in to do the research on such things. To exclude them was typical non inclusive leadership and in fact could be deemed as divide and conquer. I also know they bullied one club rep who did want to try and lead the proceedings which is fair considering clubs called it. No they took control And I believe they still owe clubs information from that meeting according to one club rep I know pretty well.

Scare mongering got the change from clubs they are doing that again going after the kids. I also see they are still being divisive and trying to be good guys to clubs and demonise our board. Again divide and conquer, very stellar behaviour.

Next you are doing good at avoiding this as it doesn’t suit you but clubs actually get to vote our board in so guess what if unhappy with decisions like appointment of operations managers they can voice their opposition then vote accordingly. I think we have had a League AGM since last years affiliation agreement?

Oh and you are insulting some fantastic PDFNL people who are on our board when you continue your campaign claiming it’s just one person at fault.

I’ve known Mick Fleming for years and years. you know he has an accountancy practice in Deni right not just say a dry cleaners? And you know he has been involved in the league for a very long time. In fact he instigated the league split which has proven very successful. He is a fantastic bloke, absolutely loves the league and you inferring people like him arent on top of this is appalling behaviour from you.

You can do the PR spin all you like for AFLvic and AFLGM but the facts are there are many leagues now questioning the RACs and agreements.

It is about the ability to have choice!

if someone “answers” the press it’s on them how their character is viewed and in my opinion he was undermining the board as it sounds like he wanted all his way. Just my opinion you don’t have to share it but I am allowed to judge it given you brought him up. Oh and didn’t he stuff up the netball vote count?? Quite embarrassing for the league at a time we are under “attack” Don’t you think?

who refused to allow the board in for a combined meeting that may well have clarified things . Afterall it’s our board who are voted in to do the research on such things. To exclude them was typical non inclusive leadership and in fact could be deemed as divide and conquer. I also know they bullied one club rep who did want to try and lead the proceedings which is fair considering clubs called it. No they took control And I believe they still owe clubs information from that meeting according to one club rep I know pretty well.

Scare mongering got the change from clubs they are doing that again going after the kids. I also see they are still being divisive and trying to be good guys to clubs and demonise our board. Again divide and conquer, very stellar behaviour.

Next you are doing good at avoiding this as it doesn’t suit you but clubs actually get to vote our board in so guess what if unhappy with decisions like appointment of operations managers they can voice their opposition then vote accordingly. I think we have had a League AGM since last years affiliation agreement?

Oh and you are insulting some fantastic PDFNL people who are on our board when you continue your campaign claiming it’s just one person at fault.

I’ve known Mick Fleming for years and years. you know he has an accountancy practice in Deni right not just say a dry cleaners? And you know he has been involved in the league for a very long time. In fact he instigated the league split which has proven very successful. He is a fantastic bloke, absolutely loves the league and you inferring people like him arent on top of this is appalling behaviour from you.

You can do the PR spin all you like for AFLvic and AFLGM but the facts are there are many leagues now questioning the RACs and agreements.

Interesting you mention the phrase divide and conquer. Exactly how I would explain the boards actions over the past 3 months with no delegate or presidents meetings to discuss affiliation. Just get to clubs individually, tell them one side of a storey and make a decision claiming support of the clubs.

Interesting you mention the phrase divide and conquer. Exactly how I would explain the boards actions over the past 3 months with no delegate or presidents meetings to discuss affiliation. Just get to clubs individually, tell them one side of a storey and make a decision claiming support of the clubs.

So you believe AFLvic acted appropriately last year?? This is the big over arching governing body that we have no say in how they behave and can’t vote them out we are talking about. Isn’t that pretty serious?

Here is a factual story and one i can back up about Gleeson. When the dairy crisis happened I on behalf of Speak Up approached the league asking if they would run a dairy appreciation day to basically support all in dairy. They agreed and thought all leagues in region should be involved. They asked Gleeson who replied saying the dairy industry leaders had said not the right time and he would contact pdfnl if anything changed. Fair enough I thought until within two weeks GVFL was holding a dairy appreciation day hmmmm. Now what this tells me is:

1. no care factor regarding our communities. Isn’t that what pdfnl is about community and families?

2. You can’t trust Gleeson to make fair decisions between leagues. Favoured promoting his GVFL over being inclusive.

3. This is hardly an honest response from Gleeson.

Oh and this was one time he had a chance to unite the region but he was too engulfed in himself to see the opportunity right in front of him. Sound leadership??

This is factual and given how many are involved in dairy in our region a down right insult.

It's actually really simple, is there any reason the board wouldn't be doing the best for its clubs and the league , what have they collectively or individually got to gain ?
I'd suspect they have more info than anyone and have no reason to do wrong .

Last edited:
I was going to leave your comments but well - they are so bad I just couldnt sorry.

I personally know of at least two other occassions where there have been 'stuff ups' at vote counts well before this time.

Again false - the board had already had ample opportunity to put their case, why call everyone to a meeting to vote on two items and never mention anything about the pending ejection from AFL Vic due, and in such circumstances a presidents meeting is just that - not a league meeting, and they determine who they do and don't invite to speak - or do you not think that they should have that right and freedom?

Any sporting organisation that does not look after their kids is doomed to failure - not just the elite but ALL kids - the larger and stronger the base the higher and better the peak - strong senior clubs have strong and successful juniors - those who don't fall by the wayside and have a long slow climb to recover - this is evidenced in the state of some clubs currently within the league - and why other leagues are looking at expanding the juniors. You know juniors are what I care about most and is why I originally posted on this forum.

Yes they did and they thought the board and operations manager realised how angry the clubs were and that they had learnt their lesson from the mess last autumn and wouldn't repeat it - that they would keep the clubs better informed and be on top on the situation early and that it wouldn't re-occur - in short the TRUSTED them not to repeat their mistakes and thought they deserved a chance to demonstrate that - but by your logic they shouldn't have been given a second chance and should have all been chucked out.

Refresh your memory dear - I have always stated Gleeson v Railton ego fight - by my counting that is TWO people - nobody trusts Gleeson and Railton tells lies, so all the other real issues can't actually be addressed

WOW - how arrogant are you - that would have to be one of the most disgusting insulting comments I have ever heard - what other jobs or professions or jobs do you classify with a 'just' prefix - farmers, shop owners, hairdressers, mechanics, road workers??? The board appointed this man for his broad experience and skill set and then got upset when he used it and wanted to work and bring professionalism to the league - remember he started in the position in the midst of the umpire situation and although he was unable to fix the harm already done by the league with GVUA we still had umpires going forward - yes? The only reason I mentioned him was as a reference to how quickly Railton jumped from president to operations manager and your commentary about jobs for the boys - then you decided to launch a personal attack on the poor guy - so I defend him with facts.

As for splitting the league being successful - well let's agree to disagree on that shall we - financially yes - football/netball wise - hell no.

yes there are - isn't it great - they can openly discuss and negotiate it all - in a civilised manner - whereas PDFNL have ensured they are now shut out - the door slammed shut on them - excuse me if clubs would like to maintain the right to be hear all the evidence and make totally informed decisions.

I was going to leave your comments but well - they are so bad I just couldnt sorry.
Gleeson v Railton or vice versa is a load of BS.
My info is they have not even spoke on this issue , does this make the issue Gleeson v Brooks ?
They may have personal differences but they have obviously found a way to work on things during the year like the point allocation to clubs etc.
The PDFNL wished to bring another age group of juniors and a unprecedented barrier was apparently put up by AFLGM.
I believe any league has the right to be concerned if there is $ variation in the books, no disclosure of $$ records , no reconciliation , expenses being incurred without prior approval and sponsors leaving or threatening to leave.
Not sure how you suggest wrong doing by the board, for asking questions about the above mentioned and the employee then resigning ?
If you think someone has lied call them out on it, otherwise your just lying yourself.

Last edited:
It's actually really simple, is there any reason the board wouldn't be doing the best for its clubs and the league , what have they collectively or individually got to gain ?
I'd suspect they have more info than anyone and have no reason to do wrong .

You didn't answer the question - why no delegate or presidents meeting held to discuss the affiliation?

You didn't answer the question - why no delegate or presidents meeting held to discuss the affiliation?
My understanding is that the board were negotiating in good faith and within hours of AFL / AFLGM rejecting offers they sent letters to the media and clubs advising, do or else or that the league wouldn't be affiliated.
You can judge if that is fair and reasonable .

Browntown, personal vendettas and issues aside. Can you please enlighten me as to how you see that a national corporation who’s purpose is to put bums on seats in our capital cities and remotes in hands in peoples lounge rooms nationwide has anything of value to offer community football clubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back