North to go winless in 2024?

Remove this Banner Ad

Those sides all got to pinch wins off one another.
Who do North pinch a win off? Looking at the fixture, the Richmond game at Docklands is the most likely.
Melbourne beat Essendon in '12 and the Dogs in '13.

GC beat Richmond, Port and Brisbane in '11, and Richmond and Carlton in '12.

GWS beat Port in '12.

I don't know who North will beat exactly, but I think they'll catch someone on an off day. I'd be very surprised if they end the season winless.

More likely than they were last year. We have improved, so unless we have an off day we really should be accounting for them. But a bit like our win vs Collingwood in 2022, there will probably be a day they kick straight and the other team doesn't and still win even if they're beaten in everything from possessions to clearances to turnovers to scoring shots.

I'd rather 20 teams and every team playing the other once. Or just a few teams twice, with those teams changing every year until the cycle repeats.

I'd rather 20 teams and every team playing the other once. Or just a few teams twice, with those teams changing every year until the cycle repeats.

I’d rather 18 teams.

Play each team once = 17 games
Play the 6 teams either side of you on the ladder twice = 6 games

23 game season.

If you finish first you’d play teams 2-7 from the previous season twice. If you finish 5th you’d play teams 1-4 and 6-7 twice etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hypothetically, if North were removed from the AFL and Tassie were added in their place then you'd have 9 teams in Victoria and 9 teams outside of Victoria. An even split of 4 tennants at the MCG and 4 at Marvel (yes, I know Carlton & Essendon also play home games at the G). It would also mean 7 less H&A games in Melbourne a year that will instead be played outside of Victoria, which means more travel for the Vic teams and a step closer to parity with the travel requirements of non-Victorian teams.

Instead of Collingwood playing 'away' to North at Marvel, the Pies would get on a plane and fly to Tasmania for a genuine away game against the Devils. That would be 7 total interstate trips for the Pies when you add the Tasmania trip to the 6 interstate trips they have scheduled this year. Compare that to the Crows who play interstate 10 times this year and it's getting reasonably close to a fair situation. Closing that gap as much as possible is good for the integrity of the national game and removing a Melbourne-based team from the league would help in that regard.

I’d rather 18 teams.

Play each team once = 17 games
Play the 6 teams either side of you on the ladder twice = 6 games

23 game season.

If you finish first you’d play teams 2-7 from the previous season twice. If you finish 5th you’d play teams 1-4 and 6-7 twice etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want the season to increase.

We went from 22 games to 23 games each with adding Gather round.

I want teams to play 24 games or even 26 games each.

Hypothetically, if North were removed from the AFL and Tassie were added in their place then you'd have 9 teams in Victoria and 9 teams outside of Victoria. An even split of 4 tennants at the MCG and 4 at Marvel (yes, I know Carlton & Essendon also play home games at the G). It would also mean 7 less H&A games in Melbourne a year that will instead be played outside of Victoria, which means more travel for the Vic teams and a step closer to parity with the travel requirements of non-Victorian teams.

Instead of Collingwood playing 'away' to North at Marvel, the Pies would get on a plane and fly to Tasmania for a genuine away game against the Devils. That would be 7 total interstate trips for the Pies when you add the Tasmania trip to the 6 interstate trips they have scheduled this year. Compare that to the Crows who play interstate 10 times this year and it's getting reasonably close to a fair situation. Closing that gap as much as possible is good for the integrity of the national game and removing a Melbourne-based team from the league would help in that regard.

I don’t mind really, merge North and St Kilda. They had their chances.

I'm thinking they may go win less. Showed nothing again today.

Surely the AFL can't dish them out yet more free draft picks?
what else can be done?

Force Patrick Dangerfield and Dustin Martin to play for North Melbourne for a season or 2? Let one or both blokes get paid 2 million a year and it doesnt include in the salary cap.

what else can be done?

Force Patrick Dangerfield and Dustin Martin to play for North Melbourne for a season or 2? Let one or both blokes get paid 2 million a year and it doesnt include in the salary cap.

Give them a handicap like golf. Maybe 5 wins should be enough to avoid the spoon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North will get the spoon and will then draft a midfielder with pick 1. They seem allergic to KP players.

And if a F/S is the best young player in the comp, they wont make a bid on them either.

That said, do any other teams have 2 picks in the top 10 which could be used to trade for pick 1? Saints could if Battle goes for big dollars.

Even the crappiest of the crap teams over the last 20 years always manage to pinch one win at some point of the season. Even GWS managed it in their very first season, and Melbourne did as well in 2012 (i think) when they were super bad. North will win a game at some point.
Yep, as bad as they have been, there have been many worse sides over the years, inc the couple you mentioned. I am sure they will win at least 1-2 too.

Hopefully they don’t go winless.

Even though the Karma Bus is rightly running over nmfc it is diabolical for the poor kids following them.

Too late this year but for next year there is no reason why teams should be lucky enough to get 8 points by playing them twice. Suggest that no points be awarded for wins against nmfc. But nmfc get points for their wins and defeated teams lose 4 points.

Like many folk I have less than zero time for The McGuire, but in raising the viability of nmfc he has raised a legit issue.

• 19 teams will be a pain -
  • Pretty much everyone supports the decision for a Tassie team, few support nmfc hanging about
  • There are negligible prospects of nmfc improving
  • They are appalling to watch and consigned to being permanently out of their depth, finishing 18th or 19th forever unless they leave or merge
  • Kids in the draft don’t want to go there. Nick Blakey provides a devastating case study.
  • Kids drafted there have managers now immediately planning their exit strategy
  • Talent withers at Arden St for whatever reason. It is just inexplicable what happens to kids there.
  • A and B+ graders from other Clubs won’t go there via trades. Maybe $2.0m+ pa would work.
  • What talent survives there wants out
  • The Club did not bother to have an Academy for over 3 years, preferring savings. Then wanted Sanders. The AFL chortled.
  • nmfc people like Kane and Scott have proved disasters in the AFL
  • Seems nmfc has no plan to replace the $s obtained from the complete fraud committed on Tasmania
  • With their record what town or city would take nmfc on. They take money and offer little in return.
  • nmfc fans continue to vote with their feet and just don’t turn up to games. Those that do include a few that abuse and castigate loyal servants like their two captains. Some now want Clarko sacked.

Surely it wouldn't hurt to recruit another KPD?
Cam Delaney is a solid reliable KPD in the GFL who could fill a need, hence why I named him.
We recruited Tom Stewart from the GFL and look how well that's turned out for us.

Let me do your homework for you.

We have Logue as our most experienced key back returning from an ACL injury mid year
We have Comben who at 22 years old has played 13 games, 5 or so of those as a key back this year
We have Kallan Dawson who is currently out injured for the next 2 - 3 weeks and has played 9 career games. Prior to his injury he was holding down his spot.
Then we have Josh Goater who at 190cm could play on talls and smalls. He ended up with a season ending injury in R1
Lastly we have Wil Dawson who was taken as a bottom ager in last years draft with one of our first round picks and looks highly promising and he's 202cms. Will need a few years to develop.

All of these guys I have confidence in being more than serviceable players for us in the future.

I haven't mentioned Pink or Bigoa because I don't think they'll make it. Haven't mentioned Corr either because he's a major shittruck who needs to be delisted asap.

Now lets have a look at our KPF's

We have AA Nick Larkey - tick
We have Sellers who for a couple of games, barely touched the footy
and we have Maley who we took in the rookie draft last year who needs a heap of work.
Oh, and I almost forgot Callum Coleman-Jones... better that I not say anything...

What were you saying again about KPD's? Have you just been blindly following the circle jerk of piss poor journalists?

The fact of the matter is and i'm sure you would agree, we just need time when it comes to our KPD's.

Last edited:
Let me do your homework for you.

We have Logue as our most experienced key back returning from an ACL injury mid year
We have Comben who at 22 years old has played 13 games, 5 or so of those as a key back this year
We have Kallan Dawson who is currently out injured for the next 2 - 3 weeks and has played 9 career games. Prior to his injury he was holding down his spot.
Then we have Josh Goater who at 190cm could play on talls and smalls. He ended up with a season ending injury in R1
Lastly we have Wil Dawson who was taken as a bottom ager in last years draft with one of our first round picks and looks highly promising and he's 202cms. Will need a few years to develop.

All of these guys I have confidence in being more than serviceable players for us in the future.

I haven't mentioned Pink or Bigoa because I don't think they'll make it. Haven't mentioned Corr either because he's a major shittruck who needs to be delisted asap.

Now lets have a look at our KPF's

We have AA Nick Larkey - tick
We have Sellers who for a couple of games, barely touched the footy
and we have Maley who we took in the rookie draft last year who needs a heap of work.
Oh, and I almost forgot Callum Coleman-Jones... better that I not say anything...

What were you saying again about KPD's? Have you just been blindly following the circle jerk of piss poor journalists?

The fact of the matter is and i'm sure you would agree, we just need time when it comes to our KPD's.
Well, easy decision then.

Pick Trainor. Can lay back but was a forward until his last 10 games.

Huge North fan also and wants to play for the club.

Well, easy decision then.

Pick Trainor. Can lay back but was a forward until his last 10 games.

Huge North fan also and wants to play for the club.

I'm not against getting Trainor at all. I'm just sick of the ill-informed circle jerk beliefs that we don't have any KPD's.

Hopefully they don’t go winless.

Even though the Karma Bus is rightly running over nmfc it is diabolical for the poor kids following them.

Too late this year but for next year there is no reason why teams should be lucky enough to get 8 points by playing them twice. Suggest that no points be awarded for wins against nmfc. But nmfc get points for their wins and defeated teams lose 4 points.

Like many folk I have less than zero time for The McGuire, but in raising the viability of nmfc he has raised a legit issue.

• 19 teams will be a pain -
  • Pretty much everyone supports the decision for a Tassie team, few support nmfc hanging about
  • There are negligible prospects of nmfc improving
  • They are appalling to watch and consigned to being permanently out of their depth, finishing 18th or 19th forever unless they leave or merge
  • Kids in the draft don’t want to go there. Nick Blakey provides a devastating case study.
  • Kids drafted there have managers now immediately planning their exit strategy
  • Talent withers at Arden St for whatever reason. It is just inexplicable what happens to kids there.
  • A and B+ graders from other Clubs won’t go there via trades. Maybe $2.0m+ pa would work.
  • What talent survives there wants out
  • The Club did not bother to have an Academy for over 3 years, preferring savings. Then wanted Sanders. The AFL chortled.
  • nmfc people like Kane and Scott have proved disasters in the AFL
  • Seems nmfc has no plan to replace the $s obtained from the complete fraud committed on Tasmania
  • With their record what town or city would take nmfc on. They take money and offer little in return.
  • nmfc fans continue to vote with their feet and just don’t turn up to games. Those that do include a few that abuse and castigate loyal servants like their two captains. Some now want Clarko sacked.

Melbourne and Carlton have been through this in recent times. Melbourne since won a flag and Carlton is contending.

But it's ok for them but not for us right?

I'm not against getting Trainor at all. I'm just sick of the ill-informed circle jerk beliefs that we don't have any KPD's.
Comden coming on down there makes it significantly less worse but if Logue struggles to get going, the criticism will keep coming. Nyuon looks pretty poor, Pink is state league at best and Dawson & Dawson are either too young(W), or not up to AFL standard(K).

Comden coming on down there makes it significantly less worse but if Logue struggles to get going, the criticism will keep coming. Nyuon looks pretty poor, Pink is state league at best and Dawson & Dawson are either too young(W), or not up to AFL standard(K).

I'm interested to know why you think Kallan Dawson after 9 games of football, is not up to AFL standard?

I'm interested to know why you think Kallan Dawson after 9 games of football, is not up to AFL standard?
Turning 26 this season, third year on the list and only played 9 games for his career.

Looking better this year than in the past but I can't see him staying in the side once Logue returns, unless he plays a different role or Comben goes forward.

Should be in his peak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back