North to go winless in 2024?

Remove this Banner Ad

That backline is an abomination. But no way they go winless. LDU will improve and Larkey will feast on an undermanned backline somewhere along the line. I haven't seen the fixture, but they'll probably snag a win or two in Tassie against like a WCE or Tigers.

If we're still without Lynch, Balta, Taranto and a few others when we play them they'll probably beat us.

They're still a big chance even if we do have those players available.

I'd bet a big sum of money they will not go winless.

It simply never happens. Even expansion teams in their first seasons won games.

They probably have 4 chances - Suns and Eagles at home and Richmond and Hawthorn
Never underestimate a random perennial disappointment like Essendon, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs or the like randomly dropping a game they should win...

North will get the spoon and will then draft a midfielder with pick 1. They seem allergic to KP players.

Brady Rawlings be like

Serie A Wow GIF by AS Roma

They need a KPD badly to help stem opposition scoring, a mature player from the mid season draft.
Someone from the GFL maybe, like Cam Delaney.

This is your thread and you keep responding to everyone saying how badly North need a mature age KPD in the MSD.

We have Griffin Logue about 6 weeks away from returning after an ACL.

Just a little bit of research for your own thread would not hurt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

could see them grabbing a few wins late in the fixture, few trips to Tasmania and Docklands against bottom six prospects. Just need a patch of form and some injured/resting opponents, attack a softer-bellied block portion of the fixture.

Their remaining trips outside Vic/Tas are Suns in Darwin, Eagles in Perth and Swans SCG (could be worse).

Even the crappiest of the crap teams over the last 20 years always manage to pinch one win at some point of the season. Even GWS managed it in their very first season, and Melbourne did as well in 2012 (i think) when they were super bad. North will win a game at some point.

GWS managed to beat us while we were winning flags. To this day Ive still never seen a win in Sydney. My folks were at the game in the snow in Canberra a few years ago so they have seen one.

Brady Rawlings be like

Serie A Wow GIF by AS Roma
Always go the best player with the very early picks, if that's another midfielder so be it. Second worst comes to the worst, somebody becomes trade bait if the side ever gets any better. More likely, no matyter what we do, players in all positions will bleed away dramatically for the next couple of years while losses mount. There is no chance of winning a game this year or next regardless of draft-free agents-trade or anything else; as opposed to oppositions totally bottling it and somehow contriving to lose which might deliver the four points once or twice a year.

Second round, start looking more strategically or trading if a good key position defender is available. None were last year, hence picking up Pink and others in the hope someone would come good with the opportunity.

There's nothing but mids in the top 10 of the draft. They needed to get creative last year, especially with the time KPPs need to develop.
I heard (espn I think) that some kp players are starting to emerge as contenders for the mid part of the top ten like Trainor and O'Farrell.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

University scored just 12 wins in their final five seasons in the VFL (1910-14) and North have also scored just 12 wins in their last five seasons in the AFL (2020-24). The seasons were shorter back then which means University only played 90 games over that five year stretch and North are playing their 91st game of the last five seasons today. One could argue a loss to the Crows today would officially mean that North are on a worse run than University were just before WWI broke out.

This is your thread and you keep responding to everyone saying how badly North need a mature age KPD in the MSD.

We have Griffin Logue about 6 weeks away from returning after an ACL.

Just a little bit of research for your own thread would not hurt.
Surely it wouldn't hurt to recruit another KPD?
Cam Delaney is a solid reliable KPD in the GFL who could fill a need, hence why I named him.
We recruited Tom Stewart from the GFL and look how well that's turned out for us.

Surely it wouldn't hurt to recruit another KPD?
Cam Delaney is a solid reliable KPD in the GFL who could fill a need, hence why I named him.
We recruited Tom Stewart from the GFL and look how well that's turned out for us.
North recruited Pink, the best full back outside the AFL system. Not working out great. Its not as though things weren't tried, they just don't work. Better, not more, key position players would help. But if none are available at trade time, not a lot can be done. Especially when the side can produce no defensive transition or pressure through the middle.

That is, hopefully, the next thing - to get the mids transitioning with some sort of system. The start of the year (as I see it) was "let the kids play", attack a bit, see who can play and who naturally starts to fill which roles. Now, particularly as confidence has been lost to do that anyway, some of the discipline needs to start being brought in as the start of the next part of development.
Its a long, long road ahead with zero wins quite possible in 2024 and 2025 - even without bleeding players all over the place as is very likely.

Even the commentators are struggling to keep the enthusiasm in their voices. They must be exhausted after each North game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back