North to go winless in 2024?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, they’ll win a game.

It’s a long season, teams will tire and/or get complacent as the season rolls on.

I reckon you can definitely make an argument that the spoon is theirs, though.
It’s hard to see them winning at least two that they’ll need to avoid it.

North will get the spoon and will then draft a midfielder with pick 1. They seem allergic to KP players.

GWS and Melbourne got to pinch wins off each other, as they were equally as bad back then.
Ditto North and West Coast the last two years.

North showed they're a fair way behind Hawthorn last week, and with West Coast on the rise who do North pinch a win off?

west coast won the two games both at home. do they play north in tassie or the dome? North will beat them.

They'll snag a win or 2 for sure.
I think everyone is overrating West Coast. They've played 2 good weeks of football. Later in the season, I imagine North hosting WCE will be a genuine 50/50.
Agreed. They have been excellent the last fortnight but they are far from out of the woods like the media are starting to bash.
We won 2 games at the start of last year and thought it was finally coming together...
We will knock someone off later in the year, it happens every year.

After seeing a thread asking if we can go undefeated and the TAB offering $7 odds for North to go winless, I thought it'd be worthy of asking the question on here.

Do you think North will go winless?
I think they're a chance with the way they're playing, but if they recruit a KPD in the mid season draft I can see them snagging 2-3 wins in the back end of the season.
No chance they go winless. Still have as winnable games. Expect they will win at least 2-3 of them as their list isn't as crap as they are playing even after giving away key talls at the end of last year.

Adelaide in Tassie
WC in Perth
WC in Tassie
Hawks in Tassie
Richmond in Melbourne
Gold Coast in Melboure when they should be in their usual end of season slump

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

They'll win a couple.

They're not as bad a side as they've shown the first 6 weeks. Been embarrassing how poor they've been.

It's time they moved Sheezel into the midfield. Its hard for him to have major influence when they've been starting every possession chain from the back pocket.

What is the longest it has taken a team to get a single win? I feel like I remember Freo or Collingwood go half the season at one point around late 90/early 00

In 1910 St Kilda were 0-17 going into the final round, and given this match was against Carlton which had the minor premiership secured it seemed likely that Round 18 would see St Kilda finish 0-18. Somehow though the Saints managed to beat the Blues in a top vs. bottom match and win their first match of the year in the 18th and final round.

FWIW I don't think North Melbourne will be winless in 2024, but let's say they did. If the Kangaroos did fail to win a match all year, do you think that Alistair Clarkson would survive as senior coach?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They'll win a couple.

They're not as bad a side as they've shown the first 6 weeks. Been embarrassing how poor they've been.

It's time they moved Sheezel into the midfield. Its hard for him to have major influence when they've been starting every possession chain from the back pocket.
17th 18th 18th 17th 18th* You sure about that?

They have enough high draft pick midfielders that they should be fine long term. They have almost no young KP players.
North selected two KP players in the first round of the draft a few months ago. Can't get much younger than that. Charlie Comben is 22. I'd say that is pretty young.

North selected two KP players in the first round of the draft a few months ago. Can't get much younger than that. Charlie Comben is 22. I'd say that is pretty young.

They should’ve been picked up 80 games ago.

Now you’ll need to wait another 80 before they develop and take you anywhere. And that’s if they develop properly.

I think we could maybe trouble Richmond & West Coast on our day.

We get Logue back after the bye which will help our struggling defence.

They should’ve been picked up 80 games ago.

Now you’ll need to wait another 80 before they develop and take you anywhere. And that’s if they develop properly.
Correct. Norths drafting from 2014 to 2019 was pretty horrific aside from a few outliers like Larkey. We took three key defenders in the 2014 draft but the first two were busts and the third had multiple knee injuries and was delisted.

2021 draft onwards looks decent so far but the holes on the list weren't addressed until the draft a few months ago and we still don't have a young highly rated key forward.

That 5-6 years of consecutive terrible drafting has caused a lot of Norths current issues.

17th 18th 18th 17th 18th* You sure about that?

They'll probably come 18th again this season, they're not good and its a competitive comp where 14 teams genuinely think finals is a pass mark. Unless the Richmond injury crisis continues, Roos are odds on for the spoon.

But they should not be as uncompetitive as they have been the first 6 weeks, its been embarrassing really.

Last season despite 20 consecutive losses they were fairly competitive at times. Five losses within three goals (all were single digits), eight losses between 3 goals and 6 goals and seven losses of more than 6 goals. This season they've already had five losses of a margin of more than 6 goals. I don't believe they'll continue to play this badly throughout the entire season.

Even the crappiest of the crap teams over the last 20 years always manage to pinch one win at some point of the season. Even GWS managed it in their very first season, and Melbourne did as well in 2012 (i think) when they were super bad. North will win a game at some point.
North are worse than any of those sides, even first year GC and GWS. 1996 Fitzroy? Maybe, maybe not.
But somebody could well screw up royally and kick 0.15 for a quarter or something. There isn't a game this year or next where North can start favourites, or actually outplay a team, but a team or two will likely manage to play badly enough to hand out the four points.

No VFL/AFL team has gone winless in a season of more than 18 rounds. That could very well change over the next year and a bit.

No chance they go winless. Still have as winnable games. Expect they will win at least 2-3 of them as their list isn't as crap as they are playing even after giving away key talls at the end of last year.

Adelaide in Tassie
WC in Perth
WC in Tassie
Hawks in Tassie
Richmond in Melbourne
Gold Coast in Melboure when they should be in their usual end of season slump

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
They won't win in Perth maybe Tassie.

They'll probably come 18th again this season, they're not good and its a competitive comp where 14 teams genuinely think finals is a pass mark. Unless the Richmond injury crisis continues, Roos are odds on for the spoon.

But they should not be as uncompetitive as they have been the first 6 weeks, its been embarrassing really.

Last season despite 20 consecutive losses they were fairly competitive at times. Five losses within three goals (all were single digits), eight losses between 3 goals and 6 goals and seven losses of more than 6 goals. This season they've already had five losses of a margin of more than 6 goals. I don't believe they'll continue to play this badly throughout the entire season.
It's has been terrible and disappointing no doubt.

We did lose about 600-700 games of experience with Ziebell, Cunnington retiring & Goldstein going to Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back