NFNL Div 1 discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Does that put them under points pressure again? Even with reductions, they still have to fit Hobbs (4), East (4), McEvoy (5) and Zaharakis (5) into that GF team. That’s assuming Zaharakis plays there again.
They have 9 players that drop a point from the GF team. But yeh there seniors are going to have some issues, if they keep everyone that is. Palazzollo is back aswell, he will be 3 or 4.

I think the problem is going to be that they are losing a big chunk of there reserves team. So alot of 1 pointers gone. But again it all depends on whether they keep players like Zaharakis, Jetta, Lloyd etc.

They have 9 players that drop a point from the GF team. But yeh there seniors are going to have some issues, if they keep everyone that is. Palazzollo is back aswell, he will be 3 or 4.

I think the problem is going to be that they are losing a big chunk of there reserves team. So alot of 1 pointers gone. But again it all depends on whether they keep players like Zaharakis, Jetta, Lloyd etc.
Don’t think you will see Zara and Jetta returning next season.

Thought I might try and spark some #throwback conversation seeing as it is the off-season and has now been over 15 years since the demise of the DVFL.

What are some of the best games and biggest upsets of the NFL era? Obviously the infamous match in 2010 when Greensborough ended Heidelberg's 48-game winning streak comes to mind. For me the best h & a game I have ever seen was Heidelberg v Mont at Heidelberg in 2008 when both sides were 1 and 2 on the ladder with Mont being undefeated.

Last edited:
Thought I might try and spark some #throwback conversation seeing as it is the off-season and has now been over 15 years since the demise of the DVFL.

What are some of the best games and biggest upsets of the NFL era? Obviously the infamous match in 2010 when Greensborough ended Heidelberg's 48-game winning streak comes to mind. For me the best h & a game I have ever seen was Heidelberg v Mont at Heidelberg in 2008 when both sides were 1 and 2 on the ladder with Mont being undefeated.
I'd nominate Mac v Borough in 2012. Borough up by about 42 points at 11 min mark of last quarter. Mac went mad and were only a kick behind with about a minute to go
Borough win centre clearance and Carnell takes mark 25 metres out. Umpire pays free to Mac, then pays a controversial 50.
Mac kick it to goal square, off hands Matt Veszpremi gets crumb and shoots, siren goes with ball in air and Mac win, having been in front only less than a second for entire game
After game a Borough player became agitated and dropped several Mac supporters in an ugly fracar

Aren’t under 19 players 1 point or has that changed?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favourite game/moment from the past 15 years was when a former Montmorency fringe player turned committeeman who I won’t name pointed in the direction of the scoreboard at the 3/4 time break of a now infamous Grand Final and began shouting rather enthusiastically “this is the reward”. Bit of an early crow I thought given the opposition had a slight wind advantage in the final term and the lead was a meagre 26 points. Nek minute Favrin kicks 5 in a quarter and as they say, the rest is history.

How could he be a 3 pointer if he is a 3x premiership player for Bundoora

This highlights the problem with the points system - people can't work a player's value because it's too confusing and ambiguous.

How about something more simplistic like:

5 - AFL listed player (no matter how many matches)
4 - State League level (reserves/colts or NAB League)
3 - from metropolitan/country clubs (seniors)
2 - from metropolitan/country clubs (reserves, colts and juniors)
1 - club of origin (going from a club's juniors to seniors)

+1 for being registered with 3 different clubs inside 5 years.
+1 for recruiting from another club in the same league.

-1 for three years of continuous service at the same club by a player recruited as a 3, 4 or 5.

1 point over-rides 4 or 5 only.

AFL Vic is setting volunteers up to fail with a labyrinth of silly little clauses such as must play less than 10 games here, comes third in a club B&F, etc.

Then, for some stupid reason, in Victoria, the leagues don't check the club's assessment before they play. In Western Australia, clubs submit their points list to the league in the pre-season in two windows and the league assesses them and confirms/alters their value. They cannot play until this occurs. In the four seasons since 2019, there have been ZERO cases of a club going over the points cap in a match, all because the league reviews the assessments.

The simpler, the better. The average supporter should be able to work out a player's value without a series of tables and a slide rule.

Last edited:
This highlights the problem with the points system - people can't work a player's value because it's too confusing and ambiguous.

How about something more simplistic like:

5 - AFL listed player (no matter how many matches)
4 - State League level (reserves/colts or NAB League)
3 - from metropolitan/country clubs (seniors)
2 - from metropolitan/country clubs (reserves, colts and juniors)
1 - club of origin (going from a club's juniors to seniors)

+1 for being registered with 3 different clubs inside 5 years.
+1 for recruiting from another club in the same league.

-1 for three years of continuous service at the same club by a player recruited as a 3, 4 or 5.

1 point over-rides 4 or 5 only.

AFL Vic is setting volunteers up to fail with a labyrinth of silly little clauses such as must play less than 10 games here, comes third in a club B&F, etc.

Then, for some stupid reason, in Victoria, the leagues don't check the club's assessment before they play. In Western Australia, clubs submit their points list to the league in the pre-season in two windows and the league assesses them and confirms/alters their value. They cannot play until this occurs. In the four seasons since 2019, there have been ZERO cases of a club going over the points cap in a match, all because the league reviews the assessments.

The simpler, the better. The average supporter should be able to work out a player's value without a series of tables and a slide rule.
Points system is easy. I just don’t know who this guy is nor his playing history, nor where he is transferring from.

BnF clause was removed.

Need over 5 games in a season for a reduction. Obviously don’t want guys to sign who won’t play while overseas or something to get a points deduction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back