NFNL Div 2 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

In relation to the fixture, I heard it from someone connected to the umpires. They got told in an email from the umps boss that they wouldn't find out which junior games they were umpiring until late in the week (they usually get told on Tuesdays) due to the "rearranging and regrading" of junior fixtures because teams had dropped out in some comps
So the umpires boss does the junior fixtures during the grading process?
That actually sounds about right given what we observe.

So the umpires boss does the junior fixtures during the grading process?
That actually sounds about right given what we observe.
The umpires boss appoints the umpires to the fixtures the league does. If the league hasn't done the fixtures then the umpires boss can't...... This doesn't need any further explanation

Apparently a bunch of teams withdrawing across the comp has caused the delay in the release of the junior fixture. Ridiculous that at 3:30 on a Tuesday the fixture for the coming Sunday is not available
not sure where you get your info from, but from under 11's through to under 18 girls there isnt 1 team in any division that has dropped out.

Furthermore- there has only been 1 change to competitions due to the so called grading process- in under 16 boys, Sth Morang have moved from division 1 to 2, leaving division 1 with 5 teams.
So the NFNL has changed this grading process from previous years, it used to be all teams in the one group until the grading process worked out the divisions, no matter what division the clubs have nominated.
This year the divisions have been set up as per the clubs nominations for each team.
This weekend there is not one team who nominated division 2 who is playing a team who nominated division 1. So how is it grading if this is going on?
There are a lot of teams in all age groups that have had 2 huge wins in Division 2, would one not think it would be grading to set them against a div 1 team to actually see where they are at and ensure you are making it fair?

Given the total lack of actually assessing the results and grading teams, and no teams dropping out, how does it take until Tuesday afternoon to release the fixture for the coming Sunday???

not sure where you get your info from, but from under 11's through to under 18 girls there isnt 1 team in any division that has dropped out.

Furthermore- there has only been 1 change to competitions due to the so called grading process- in under 16 boys, Sth Morang have moved from division 1 to 2, leaving division 1 with 5 teams.
So the NFNL has changed this grading process from previous years, it used to be all teams in the one group until the grading process worked out the divisions, no matter what division the clubs have nominated.
This year the divisions have been set up as per the clubs nominations for each team.
This weekend there is not one team who nominated division 2 who is playing a team who nominated division 1. So how is it grading if this is going on?
There are a lot of teams in all age groups that have had 2 huge wins in Division 2, would one not think it would be grading to set them against a div 1 team to actually see where they are at and ensure you are making it fair?

Given the total lack of actually assessing the results and grading teams, and no teams dropping out, how does it take until Tuesday afternoon to release the fixture for the coming Sunday???
This is what I was referring to, as I stated in another post, I got this from someone involved in umpiring...

Hi Umps,
As a result of some junior teams withdrawing from the competition and minor regrading changes, the Junior umpire appointments will not be released until Wednesday afternoon.
Ben and I appreciate your patience during this time and due to the quick turn around can we ask that you ACCEPT your appointment as early as possible in preparation for the weekend.

Thanks
Marty and Ben

Games finish Sunday afternoon… is it that surprising it takes a day and half to do a fixture for hundreds of sides? Nor does it matter?

Clubs know they’ll be hosting games every week. Parents know they’ll be travelling 20 mins or playing at home.

Junior fixtures are hard as they have to work in women’s football as well. Clubs are short on grounds and 5 home sides can be playing 5 different sides unlike the old days.

Games finish Sunday afternoon… is it that surprising it takes a day and half to do a fixture for hundreds of sides? Nor does it matter?

Clubs know they’ll be hosting games every week. Parents know they’ll be travelling 20 mins or playing at home.

Junior fixtures are hard as they have to work in women’s football as well. Clubs are short on grounds and 5 home sides can be playing 5 different sides unlike the old days.
Its not that hard if you are clearly not grading.
Just set the fixture now for the entire season.
You clearly have never been involved in juniors, or had 1 or even multiple kids playing at once.

If they are not grading, which they arent, just do the fixture for the entire season and let parents and clubs plan things.

This is what I was referring to, as I stated in another post, I got this from someone involved in umpiring...

Hi Umps,
As a result of some junior teams withdrawing from the competition and minor regrading changes, the Junior umpire appointments will not be released until Wednesday afternoon.
Ben and I appreciate your patience during this time and due to the quick turn around can we ask that you ACCEPT your appointment as early as possible in preparation for the weekend.

Thanks
Marty and Ben
Im not talking about umpires, but as i said, not one team has withdrawn.

Morang Vs Laurimar - Blood bath Morang by 120+

Watsonia Vs Panton- Could be a pivotal win for later in season. Panton by 10

Lower vs Burra - Burra to win by 50

Thomastown Vs Whittlesea - Whittlesea by 25

Diamond Creek Vs Northcote - Diamo by 80

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forfeiting games 3 rounds into an 18 round season is concerning.

They are surrounded by VAFA clubs with an abundance of numbers but have struggled for quite a while.
Is it purely changing demographics in the area and the pokies money drying up that’s the reason for this? Hard to imagine a club that won a division 1 premiership a decade ago is now struggling in division 2.

Is it purely changing demographics in the area and the pokies money drying up that’s the reason for this? Hard to imagine a club that won a division 1 premiership a decade ago is now struggling in division 2.
It’s not a demographic thing at all. They are surrounded by clubs with massive numbers.

Fitzroy ammos have 5 men’s sides in premier A

West Brunswick 3

North Brunswick 2

Kew 4

Preston 3

Last edited:
It’s not a demographic thing at all. They are surrounded by clubs with massive numbers.

West Brunswick 3

North Brunswick 2

Kew 4

Preston 3
Parkside and Old Ivanhoe close by with multiple sides each.

Not great signs from the Parkers I hope they can turn it around and get things going again as some very good people involved over the years.

West Brunswick 3

North Brunswick 2

Kew 4

Preston 3
Preston is 15mins away. Brunswick 19mins, west brunswick 17mins, north Brunswick 15mins.
Fitzroy Reds are 7mins away, Kew 10mins and Fitzroy stars are 12mins.

Try being Heidelberg West, Banyule, Heidleberg, Macleod and North Heidleberg. All within 30 seconds - 8mins from eachother and most all competing in the same division.

The geographic excuse is a bit of a reach

Most the time the geographic excuse is raised by lazy clubs that have not put the effort in, especially their junior programs.

I fear the end is near for them.
I think Diamo could win by 150+ here.
Ryan Pingree named for DC I thought he was one of the players who retired.

Tough week coming up for Laurimar. Not all doom and gloom but the depth isn’t where it needs to be and the kids aren’t ready for the grade yet.

Most the time the geographic excuse is raised by lazy clubs that have not put the effort in, especially their junior programs.
Are they not affiliated with Northcote Juniors though? At least when I played they seemed to have a decent amount of sides which could ideally lead to a few senior players when they age out of juniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back