NFL Div 3 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I’m not anti-Panton Hill either, especially with them having been in for 20 years now. But the league keeps extending their boundaries an adding new clubs who are even further away with Kilmore in and Kinglake supposedly a candidate. I don’t think they should go any further until maybe the next 10 years. Add in teams who are firmly within boundaries (like the Turtles) but Kinglake should stay out, especially being so far from any urban areas and not looking like having a development like what Mernda/Wollert are now.
The further teams are a pain for the juniors especially with parents having to drive about an hour sometimes.
Most of the visitors to matches at Kilmore I speak to seem to enjoy the experience. You can watch the game in comfortable clubrooms with a cold beer and roaring wood fire. Or if you decide, you can park just about anywhere around the ground and watch the game seated in your own car listening to the AFL footy on the radio. Not too many suburban grounds where you can do that. People exaggerate the travel time too. You're usually cruising down the Hume sitting on 110 km/h, rather than sitting at traffic lights in suburbia. The league showed great vision if you ask me. I reckon Wallan will be back eventually and with the projected growth of the northern corridor it won't be long before Donnybrook, Kalkallo and Beveridge are fielding teams. The NFNL administration showed foresight admitting Kilmore before they looked at going to the EDFL.

Perhaps they are, I’ve heard differently over the years. They have struggled to field two sides this season and have had to get 4-5 reserves players to play 2 games on occasions. In the old DVFL days the cronies would have accepted them very few questions asked because it was more money into league coffers, perhaps not but I’d like to think with the recent struggles of a couple of current clubs, this last thing you’d be doing is admitting a club that is potentially struggling worse. A large majority of their playing base is from suburban schools, so the recruits they may target will come from surrounding competing clubs, thus diluting the local pool. I also understand that in their submission they “have not” mentioned any juniors, which would seem strange for me. Financial stability is one thing but a viable plan to grow playing numbers would be a prerequisite I’d imagine. Is it still a rule that clubs entering have juniors or an affiliation? I know it’s been previously mentioned about Research, but I think there is a fairly strong bond between them and Lower with a healthy cross pollination of personnel and shared values. I did hear a while back that they were interested or investigating doing something with Yarrambat, not sure what or if anything came of that.
A large playing base comes from suburban schools? Didn’t every player in any team come from a suburban school???

In terms of poaching they aren’t starting from scratch like laurmier did they have been a side for ages, certainly for as long as I can remember.

A large playing base comes from suburban schools? Didn’t every player in any team come from a suburban school???

In terms of poaching they aren’t starting from scratch like laurmier did they have been a side for ages, certainly for as long as I can remember.
They are and Old boys football club who Don’t have former students as players, which is one of the reason they probably struggle for numbers. For them to recruit, they would have to get players from existing clubs more than likely within vicinity. Laurimar are in a growth area and started via a junior club which is leagues preferred model. I don’t see It viable to admit a club that will potentially weaken other clubs to survive. At least when they admitted Banyule they had strong foundations with Juniors etc. The college are no where near that and if their plan is to take another clubs junior base, whether that be Research/Lower or Yarrambat/Bundoora?, then I can’t see the long term advantage to the comp.

Most of the visitors to matches at Kilmore I speak to seem to enjoy the experience. You can watch the game in comfortable clubrooms with a cold beer and roaring wood fire. Or if you decide, you can park just about anywhere around the ground and watch the game seated in your own car listening to the AFL footy on the radio. Not too many suburban grounds where you can do that. People exaggerate the travel time too. You're usually cruising down the Hume sitting on 110 km/h, rather than sitting at traffic lights in suburbia. The league showed great vision if you ask me. I reckon Wallan will be back eventually and with the projected growth of the northern corridor it won't be long before Donnybrook, Kalkallo and Beveridge are fielding teams. The NFNL administration showed foresight admitting Kilmore before they looked at going to the EDFL.

I agree - I actually like the trip to Kilmore and it certainly takes about the same time for me as it would getting to West Preston through the traffic and even Epping which is a traffic nightmare some Saturday mornings. Kinglake would be a similar trip and really isn't that far past Whittlesea or Panton Hill.
Parking around the ground as you can at Kilmore is a definite plus, the ground is big and in good condition... but it's a bit of a stretch to say you can watch the game from the clubroom.... that would be a pretty ordinary view..... although the fire when it's 0deg up there might be tempting. Kinglake in the middle of Winter would be a nightmare draw. Hopefully teams would only have to do it once every two years.

A healthy league, in my opinion has 3 divisions of 10 teams that are viable and competitive. That's what the league should strive for initially.... so bringing in new teams or getting back old ones that ventured off makes sense....as long as they're not basket cases.

They are and Old boys football club who Don’t have former students as players, which is one of the reason they probably struggle for numbers. For them to recruit, they would have to get players from existing clubs more than likely within vicinity. Laurimar are in a growth area and started via a junior club which is leagues preferred model. I don’t see It viable to admit a club that will potentially weaken other clubs to survive. At least when they admitted Banyule they had strong foundations with Juniors etc. The college are no where near that and if their plan is to take another clubs junior base, whether that be Research/Lower or Yarrambat/Bundoora?, then I can’t see the long term advantage to the comp.
I’ve got no idea what any plans are for them regards juniors or feeder but my point remains they are already and operating club. They have been operating for decades along side all nfnl clubs, what’s changing? If they were starting from scratch then I’d agree but clearly they have been functioning since I believe the early 90s

If as you say they don’t get players the school then clearly wherever they’ve got them from for their exisitance hasn’t had a huge impact on other clubs in the area.

Throwing in Kinglake and Eltham College would be excellent.

As much as it may be difficult having to do travel with clubs like Kilmore & possibly Kinglake next year, most NFL clubs embrace having additional clubs to join the league and to strengthen the foundation. As long as any club is financial, meet the NFL's values / culture criteria and put forward a plan to be competitive in the competition, then I think we need to embrace it. I understand some clubs may be more desirable to accept than others, but local comps no longer are in a position to set high criterias (ie. extensive juniors, etc.) because other comps will snap them up.
As previously mentioned in other posts, they are only once per season and I think if you approach these long trip games with the right attitude, they can be a positive team builder for any club.

Back in the late 90s early 00s we used to hire a few buses that left from Eltham to Kinglake. I think last trip we did was three full buses.

The Kinglake people loved it as we all arrived early and stayed around for a few beers after the game, they made a nice quid out of the day and as they knew how may were coming catered appropriately and really looked after us. We would then head back to our Club. Made a great day with supporters and players all cruising up together and as stated it was only once a year and we made a great time of it. I think people need to look at glass half full not empty and see the positives with more teams making a better competition (or at least attempt to be) and what you can make out of trying something different.

I know we don't have to compare but try and be part of country footy....a 45 minute drive is to training not to play.....

But the NFNL is a metro comp. Whittlesea probably is about as far north as the league should go and in 5 years time, Whittlesea will probably be what Wollert/Mernda/Doreen is now yet we have Kilmore in the NFNL.
Kilmore is roughly 2x the distance between Heidelberg and Mernda and I'm very much anti-Kilmore in the NFNL
Kinglake is closer to 2.5x the distance between Heidelberg and Greensborough.
Panton Hill is pushing it when it comes to how far east the league should go yet Kinglake is further.
FWIW I think the Turtles and Templestowe are more logical to allow in.
Anti-Kilmore...? - You may not understand urban sprawl... EFL outter boundaries from point to point below. VAFA travel much further.
upload_2018-8-31_14-1-21.png

Anti-Kilmore...? - You may not understand urban sprawl... EFL outter boundaries from point to point below. VAFA travel much further.
View attachment 552277
Exactly most leagues travel as far or further. How precious can you be to complain about a trip to Kinglake and or Kilmore. As stated above make an event of it get some buses and use it as a team bonding experience.

The NNFL needs to get new teams into the comp If they don't they will be forced back to a two division comp there is two div 3 sides hanging on by a thread so what if you have to travel 45.mins at least you have got games and teams to play against

Exactly most leagues travel as far or further. How precious can you be to complain about a trip to Kinglake and or Kilmore. As stated above make an event of it get some buses and use it as a team bonding experience.
I’m talking from my perspective as I play in the juniors.
View attachment 552277
I think this further supports my point. Especially when you consider how big the Eastern suburbs is compared to the Northern suburbs. Also the VAFA has Victoria in the name. I think the travel should be accepted, but even if it’s not they were considering regionalising the VAFA not too long ago anyway (from memory of course, I think I read it in the Leader a few years ago)
Northern league on the other hand is a metro league, not a country league. I don’t know, that’s just my 2c.

Everyone is allowed their 2c worth, but gee whiz some people are precious about their travel time, considering they only have to travel the long and arduous trip to Kilmore once a year. Google maps tells me that the longest trip in the league is from Heidelberg West to Kilmore - 50 mins. Kilmore to Mernda 34 mins and Kilmore to Lalor 38 mins. Most people would spend longer travelling to work in metro Melbourne each morning.

Well done to Panton Hill today.

The two best sides of the year playing off in the granny.

Expecting a tighter contest than the semi.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m talking from my perspective as I play in the juniors.

I think this further supports my point. Especially when you consider how big the Eastern suburbs is compared to the Northern suburbs. Also the VAFA has Victoria in the name.

Is there Metro somewhere in NFNL.... Maybe it's like the silent P in phone...?

I do like the way you put a point across though Fizzler - How junior are you mate and do ya wanna come do a pre-season at Lalor...?
I'll give ya a lift to Kilmore if ya do...! wink

I played juniors vs them last year. Half the team couldn’t move their arms last year. I was so happy when they couldn’t field a team in my age group any more. But surely moving Kinglake to the NFNL is a bridge too far. Heidelberg to Kinglake is surely too broad of a range, whereas the Turtles slot right into the same area as the Panthers and all that.

Oh I’m not anti-Panton Hill either, especially with them having been in for 20 years now. But the league keeps extending their boundaries an adding new clubs who are even further away with Kilmore in and Kinglake supposedly a candidate. I don’t think they should go any further until maybe the next 10 years. Add in teams who are firmly within boundaries (like the Turtles) but Kinglake should stay out, especially being so far from any urban areas and not looking like having a development like what Mernda/Wollert are now.
The further teams are a pain for the juniors especially with parents having to drive about an hour sometimes.

Young Fizzler believe it or not, it wasn’t that long ago Kinglake was actually in your comp, and I dunno what car mum and dad drive but an hour to Kilmore is a bit off the mark.
I live in Kilmore and can be parked in the centre of the city in less than an hour.
I also remember when the first thing we hit from the north was the Epping Footy Ground .... use the freeway and traffic lights and it’s a breeze ;)

Last edited:
I do like the way you put a point across though Fizzler - How junior are you mate and do ya wanna come do a pre-season at Lalor...?
Under 15s.
I live in Lalor, but I'm pretty happy at Bundoora Park, all my relatives who play footy are there too :thumbsu:

Actually, if my club doesn't get seniors by the time I get there, and I'm not playing AFL or state league, I might just join the Bloods. Only a few minutes from my house for home games which is nice.

Just putting the final touches on the AGM notes as we speak - $25k in the black...!

Been a big turn-around and we are ready to bounce into 2019.

25k!
Does that include the money you owe players for the past couple of years?

Good clubmen dont just walk out the door for no reason..

Great job Benjamin but know when to jump off a sinking ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back