Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Men’s draw:

BC6D4876-C54E-444C-B83F-102858E9F147.jpeg

4B5BC115-8D27-4527-88B0-4B5C9B95F5A0.jpeg

Rome is probably the pick of the clay masters, and this one I’m really excited about. Djokovic is back, meaning he and Alcaraz are in the same tournament for the first time since last years Paris masters. Some points worth mentioning:
  • Djokovic, Rune and Sinner all in the top half. Djokovic likely to face van Assche again in R2 after their huge battle a fortnight ago. Dimitrov (or Wawrinka) R3, and if seedlings hold, Norrie R4, Rune QF, Sinner SF. Tough. We’ll find out how that elbow is. He badly needs some matches, if he’s fit you’d think he’ll go pretty hard here.
  • Korda did well to force two TB’s in his first match in over 3 months in Madrid. Has a very winnable match first and then possibly FAA R3. Would be nice to see him find some form, he’s another who needs matches.
  • Ruud has a cakewalk draw and if he doesn’t at least make a QF then he’s in big trouble.
  • Rublev and ADF on course to meet R3, far too early. Will Medvedev lose first up to Ruusuvuori if the Finn gets past Humbert? I think so. Tsitsipas could face Lajovic R2, tough.
  • Alcaraz has an easy draw, no real threats in his section. I suppose Musetti in a QF if the Italian manages his game and the home crowd.
  • Kokkinakis and Popyrin in final qualifying matches tonight, as is Arthur Fils. Although Fils faces Shevchenko who was really impressive in Madrid.

Last edited:
Women’s draw:

C528A57E-DB2B-4AC2-B8D6-870B71CC1245.jpeg

8D429F89-A8D9-49C7-8D9C-98671DFC6CA6.jpeg

Can Swiatek and Sabalenka set up a third final in as many tournaments? That’s the biggest question. The more they meet the more the rivalry will create headlines for the tour, on top of potentially classic matches, so I hope it does eventuate. Swiatek is the defending champion. Some other points:
  • Jabeur is back after missing Madrid, but could face Badosa first up. Badosa really needs to get back into a seeded position because she’s far too good to be so exposed.
  • Copy and paste from Madrid as Potapova and Kudermetova are on tack to meet in R3 again. Feel like the result will be different this time.
  • Former French Open champions Krejcikova and Ostapenko are likely to meet in R3. Whoever wins should fancy their chances of a SF.
  • Noskova is back after a short period off, faces Shelby Rogers first. Early season form has worn off so not expecting anything. Fellow teen Linda Fruhvirtova has Lin Zhu first, then Haddad Maia if she wins, then Linette. It’s basically the draw Mirra Andreeva had last week, let’s see what she can do with it.
  • Some quality R1 matches, some starting tonight. My pick of the opening matches are Tsurenko/Svitolina, Parks/Kontaveit, Volynets/Cirstea, Kanepi/Vondrousova.

Good news, both Popyrin and Kokkinakis won their final qualifying matches and are into the MD. Will be interesting to see where they land. Got to say, been reasonably impressed with Popyrin on the clay this season, nothing amazing but been steady.

Tonight’s matches of interest:
  • Fognini vs Murray. Some history between these two, and Murray coming off his first title in 4 years, and 17 years since his last challenger title.
  • Yastremska vs Kalinskaya. Not just because of the whole Ukraine/Russia angle, but these two are fascinating. Yastremska slowly finding his game and consistency again, and Kalinskaya having somewhat of a breakout year. Hard to predict this one, the firepower vs consistency.
  • Gracheva vs Osorio. The latter finding her way back after injury lay-off, came through qualifying, vs a surging Russian. Quite contrasting personalities, Osorio will bring a ton of energy whereas Gracheva is more composed.
  • Cerundolo vs Fils. Two qualifiers, but two very talented guys. Cerundolo trying to establish himself and get out of his brothers shadow, and Fils the consistent and super athletic Frenchman.
  • Popyrin vs O’Connell. On the bright side, at least one Aussie will advance. Rough though, as I think both could’ve won a match or two in a different section.

Shame the weather isnt cooperating in Rome. First time for awhile im up to date on all the tennis and had planned to sit and watch some live matches tonight but looks like no tennis for quite a few hours

Shame the weather isnt cooperating in Rome. First time for awhile im up to date on all the tennis and had planned to sit and watch some live matches tonight but looks like no tennis for quite a few hours
Yeah, it sucks, the forecast for the whole tournament is pretty awful actually. Probably just as well this is a 2 week event because otherwise they might’ve been stuffed.

looks like live tennis underway. Not hopeful there wont be further interruptions though tonight
Wawrinka looking good, enjoying these heavy conditions. Also well done by the umpire, Stan was packing up his things ready to go off court, umpire said to stick around, they played through the worst of it and it’s cleared up for the time being.

Great match between Murray and Fognini just finished watching. If you havent seen it yet , its worth watching.

Surprised to see Oconnel lose to Popyrin, Oconnel has been playing well recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great match between Murray and Fognini just finished watching. If you havent seen it yet , its worth watching.

Surprised to see Oconnel lose to Popyrin, Oconnel has been playing well recently.
Sounded like a good one. Loved Murray’s meltdown at an in call that he was proven correct on Hawkeye, not that it’s in use. I didnt catch much last night, but watched the replay of Fils just now. Two lopsided sets followed by a tight third. Fils got up, a big part thanks to a raucous crowd that really got behind him in the final set. Fils doesn’t seem to have the firepower on the clay as he does on hard, no surprise, and they were tough conditions. He started hitting a bit heavier in the third with more weight of shot. First Masters 1000 win for Arthur!

Currently watching Kudermetova. Hopefully doesn’t spud it up tonight. Noskova and Potapova in action also tonight.

Getting frustrated with umpires, particularly Mohammed Leilani (forgive if i spelt wrong) but some of them act up to be all funny for the TV cameras but dont focus properly on what there supposed to do. He just came up smiling to a mark then pointed out the wrong mark then Zeppieri goes are you sure its that mark, yes 100% after going my fault i looked at wrong mark first.

Umpire first before you try to play up for the cameras.

Getting frustrated with umpires, particularly Mohammed Leilani (forgive if i spelt wrong) but some of them act up to be all funny for the TV cameras but dont focus properly on what there supposed to do. He just came up smiling to a mark then pointed out the wrong mark then Zeppieri goes are you sure its that mark, yes 100% after going my fault i looked at wrong mark first.

Umpire first before you try to play up for the cameras.
Yeah, I love that umpire, always entertaining, but you’re right they’re there to get the calls right and some clear errors would infuriate players especially when they know which mark it was.

Kubler was up 6-3 in the TB and loses it 8-6. Now he’s down 3-0 in the second. How quickly things change.

Kudermetova as inconsistent as ever but starting to look on top now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back