ATP/WTA Masters 1000 Madrid

Remove this Banner Ad

Karatsev was injured, shame, as I think he could’ve challenged Alcaraz. Outstanding week for Struff and his best is really good as we’ve seen here, but I just can’t see him getting close in the final.

Women’s final tonight, Swiatek vs Sabalenka for the second tournament in a row. Who’s everyone got?

Sweitek easily won’t be close maybe 6-2,6-3 at best

I think Swaitek, but it will be close. Madrid is the fastest Clay court so that should even things up a little

Won't make a difference, just a rather bad matchup especially on this surface

Wow just caught the match that was a stunning final
Just finished watching and wow indeed that was a brilliant final!! Exceptional quality. Man Sabalenka is tough, that game to win the match, didn’t do a lot wrong on the prior MP’s but kept coming and eventually got there. She is awesome.

Just finished watching and wow indeed that was a brilliant final!! Exceptional quality. Man Sabalenka is tough, that game to win the match, didn’t do a lot wrong on the prior MP’s but kept coming and eventually got there. She is awesome.

She is still don’t love the over grunting but it is what it is. Happy we’ve got a few up the top that can win

Swaitek wont lose another game on clay for the year.
Roland Garros favours Swiatek a lot more than Madrid which is always a little bit misleading. But I honestly believe Sabalanka can beat her at any time on any surface. Her hitting and firepower, as well as her serve, are that big that Swiatek will always feel the pressure. Swiatek will start as favourite no doubt but Sabs is definitely a chance.

I've just finished watching the women's final and I thought it was a pretty high standard contest. For me both need to get a net game. Swiatek is not a great volleyer and Saba has only one way. Really liking the rivalry between the two of them. As Swiatek has only played Madrid twice I think she has done remarkably well making the final. Oh and what a fantastic result for my favourite Rublev winning with his best mate Karen the men's doubles against higher ranked team. Rublev served great didn't lose serve once and was served two aces and came out firing for the super tiebreaker making returns and being very vocal. He hit a couple of volley winners which was great to see and will keep giving him confidence in his singles play. Man he is so unfiltered it such a hoot. Telling the interviewer how much s**t he was getting from karen telling him he has never won a tournament with him but he has won with others. It was to see best friends enjoying the moment. Well done.
With the tournament having those extra days seemed to drag it out as I think there could off been more matches played on Thur/Fri. Anyhoo onto Rome.

Well, another Masters title for Alcaraz, but not without a struggle. Struff played really well and gave it everything, even having a break point at 1-1 in the 3rd set. If he’d taken that, who knows what might have happened. But it did always feel like an Alcaraz victory despite the closeness. Struff perhaps didn’t serve as well as he could have, missed too many first serves. He was returning huge though and hitting so aggressively, and Carlos made a lot more errors than usual. It’s an interesting match-up between these two. Stuff, if he can maintain this form, is going to be very hard to beat at Wimbledon.

Onto Rome!

I should of mentioned in my post that Lopez was not impressed with Iga and her comments about playing late matches. He was glaring if anyone still has the replay go and check it out. Its so obvious. Good for her as the tournament director he should take her comments onboard. But saying that Tsitsipas got a couple of night matches which may had caused him to run out of steam. Not impressed that the women's doubles players were not allowed to speak, the WTA needs to address it with Lopez and get an explanation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well there is no play atm due to rain. I think it is going to rain for most of the day in Rome. Once again being a Saturday night Bein on 514 (Foxtel) no women's matches and the men were only showing three matches due to showing soccer and rugby. I am not going to pay for the extra Bein channel. First men's match on was Rublev v Molacan lasted one whole game before the rain started.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back