ATP/WTA Masters 1000 Indian Wells

Remove this Banner Ad

For an athletic player FAA has trouble with movement especially on the BH wing and I feel as a result goes for shots way too early which look great when they go in but over 3 sets and especially over 5 sets it breaks down. Not uncommon for FAA to have 50+ unforced errors .

I'm more interested in the WTA version this week Fruity win today after losing the first set 6-0. Kostuk unfortunately lost but that was always a tricky round 1. Marta will be happy enough with her first title last week though.
She’s on the verge of a place in the 3R which is a great result. Up 5-2 in the third set. Faces Sakkari next you would imagine if she can hold on, do we think that’s winnable? I love her fight and tenacity. Coming back from losing set 1 6-0 the other day was huge.

Vekic lost, so both title winners last week out first up, how disappointing. Bencic is a game away from losing too, now that is a shock.

Thompson had a break point on Tsitsipas’ serve at 5-5. Now serving for a tiebreak.

Bencic is indeed out, so disappointing.

Fruhvirtova is now at 5-6, Kalinina serving for the match. I spoke too soon. A mixture of Kalinina not missing, and Fruity’s serve going AWOL. 21 double faults, 21!!!

She’s on the verge of a place in the 3R which is a great result. Up 5-2 in the third set. Faces Sakkari next you would imagine if she can hold on, do we think that’s winnable? I love her fight and tenacity. Coming back from losing set 1 6-0 the other day was huge.

Vekic lost, so both title winners last week out first up, how disappointing. Bencic is a game away from losing too, now that is a shock.

Vekic losing is no surprise couldn't believe she was favourite, never wins at IW, courts are dead slow. Bencic was a flop fest, asked to be beaten.

I actually think Sakkari is very winnable of all the top seeds its not the worst draw Sakkari won't hit her off the court, that said not sure she wins if she serves 17 double faults against Sakkari!

Kubler takes the second set against Dimitrov in a TB, let’s go!

For a tight match with an upset alert, Thompson/Tsitsipas sure does feel a bit flat. Stef’s comments in the pre-tournament interview were a bit unusual, and his play today has reflected his mindset.

Sabalenka advances dropping only 2 games. Kuders plays a nice match and wins 3&4.

Very generous, was horrible today just her opponent was utterly abysmal.
Yeah look maybe. I get distracted by her beauty! But in all seriousness, Blinkova was bad, Kuders returning was abysmal at times so was her shot selection but she hit some glorious winners and that final game was winners galore!

Zverev gets the early break. Torn between watching this and Wu/ADF which I’m sure will have some spectacular hitting.

Yeah look maybe. I get distracted by her beauty! But in all seriousness, Blinkova was bad, Kuders returning was abysmal at times so was her shot selection but she hit some glorious winners and that final game was winners galore!

Zverev gets the early break. Torn between watching this and Wu/ADF which I’m sure will have some spectacular hitting.

Watching Potopova myself cracking match.

Bad is highly generous for Blinky Bill

Watching Potopova myself cracking match.

Bad is highly generous for Blinky Bill
I did watch snippets of that, like when Pots threw in that awful service game at 5-4. Glad she closed out the set when they briefly resumed. Cant believe it’s raining, honestly can’t recall the last time rain stopped play at IW. Might watch a replay of Raducanu from yesterday. Doesn’t look like Noskova or Lehecka will get on today, super frustrating.

Thompson had a break point on Tsitsipas’ serve at 5-5. Now serving for a tiebreak.

Bencic is indeed out, so disappointing.

Fruhvirtova is now at 5-6, Kalinina serving for the match. I spoke too soon. A mixture of Kalinina not missing, and Fruity’s serve going AWOL. 21 double faults, 21!!!
Thompson wins both tie breakers and defeats Tsitipas! Brilliant win, his biggest of his career

Zverev not messing about after the resumption, up 5-0 in the second.

Berrettini, Shapovalov also on court, Sakkari in a battle, and Potapova finally looks in control at 5-2 third set.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Berrettini...

Serving at 5-3 in the TB. He’s at the net, but decides to leave a passing shot from Daniel that drops in. Even if he had some doubt about whether it would fall in, he had to play the ball. It would have been such an easy volley. Next point, he plays a great rally, approaches, the net and dumps the easiest volley into the net. Next point, 5-5, Daniel plays a good point and finishes it off at the net no worries. Now 6-5 set point Daniel, he plays another good point and finishes with a great overhead to take the set. Unbelievable finish to the set, unbelievable choke from Berrettini.

High octane tennis. Daniel was getting to everything. Berettini really has no weapons at this stage of his career. Very disappointing for him.
I think the serve and forehand are weapons. He can dictate points with the forehand, but the issue is his backhand is just so weak. His slice isn’t very effective either. He’s like a (very) poor man’s Roddick. Grass swing he’ll come into his own but outside that, he really seems to be going backwards.

I think the serve and forehand are weapons. He can dictate points with the forehand, but the issue is his backhand is just so weak. His slice isn’t very effective either. He’s like a (very) poor man’s Roddick. Grass swing he’ll come into his own but outside that, he really seems to be going backwards.
Showed his best in the second set, dominated 6-0. Then third set was poor again
Players need more then just forehand. Beretenni isn’tfast enough and has no change ups in rallies. Wasting his career tbh. Showed nothing ever since the Wimbledon final.

Players need more then just forehand. Beretenni isn’tfast enough and has no change ups in rallies. Wasting his career tbh. Showed nothing ever since the Wimbledon final.
Yep, definitely fair call. Isn’t a great mover when the top players these days are pretty much all great movers.

Noskova/Anisimova about to start. Been waiting all day for this. The ball striking will be ridiculous. Lehecka saves a set point against Rublev but the Russian looking a tad too strong. Close match though.

Big day for Aussies tomorrow.
De Minaur gets underway v Fucsovics.
Popyrin v Hurkacz
Hijikata v Baez

The toughest one is Kokkinakis v Alcaraz. Would be nice to see him Ben competitive and use his serve.

Hijikata has a good chance. Never know with Hurkacz

He reminds me a bit of Dimitrov who also lost today, not much fight in them. Part of the wasted generation who should of taken over from the greats but haven’t

Good line-up today, the main matches I want to catch are:

Sinner/Gasquet
Murray/Carreno Busta
Rybakina/Kenin
Hijikata/Baez
Alcaraz/Kokkinakis

Although plenty more including Linette/Raducanu, Muchova/Azarenka, Fritz/Shelton. Hopefully matches work out so I can fit in most of these.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back