Manchester United Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of what you think he’s worth, and whether you want him to stay or go, the situation is a disgrace.

A complete balls up by United.

This is not how you treat a legend of your club.

Why not?
The deal on the table which he apparently signed was when ETH had faith in him progressing into the GK to suit his style, once it was clear he couldn't he was offered wages that was in line with not being the guaranteed number 1 and United started to explore the market for a keeper to suit the game style.

He was being paid well overs for a long time and now is offered more than fare wages of 150k a week, much more than a back up could ever hope to get.

Why not?
The deal on the table which he apparently signed was when ETH had faith in him progressing into the GK to suit his style, once it was clear he couldn't he was offered wages that was in line with not being the guaranteed number 1 and United started to explore the market for a keeper to suit the game style.
Because he's a legend of the club and deserves a better send-off than what has been afforded to him.

You either sell him before his contract runs out, or you announce his departure and provide an opportunity for the fans to say their thanks to him, and vice versa.

A good, well run club wouldn't let it reach this point. Unless they're money making machines a la City who can just replace anyone in an instant.

He was being paid well overs for a long time and now is offered more than fare wages of 150k a week, much more than a back up could ever hope to get.

Completely irrelevant.

Because he's a legend of the club and deserves a better send-off than what has been afforded to him.

You either sell him before his contract runs out, or you announce his departure and provide an opportunity for the fans to say their thanks to him, and vice versa.

A good, well run club wouldn't let it reach this point. Unless they're money making machines a la City who can just replace anyone in an instant.

Completely irrelevant.

Regardless of his status at the club how can they give him a better send off when they have an offer on the table for him to continue at the club?
Selling him wasn't an option as he didn't want to leave and no one else was going to match his wages.

All clubs whether run well or not get to this stage with players. We had the same problem with Pogba where the club did everything they could for almost 2 years to get him to extend with a wage increase and he buggered off anyway. Club can't win.

Regardless of his status at the club how can they give him a better send off when they have an offer on the table for him to continue at the club?
Selling him wasn't an option as he didn't want to leave and no one else was going to match his wages.
You set a deadline by which he should sign. Shouldn't have been in that position anyway, as he should have been signed on well prior.

All clubs whether run well or not get to this stage with players. We had the same problem with Pogba where the club did everything they could for almost 2 years to get him to extend with a wage increase and he buggered off anyway. Club can't win.

How many get there with reigning golden glove winners?

You set a deadline by which he should sign. Shouldn't have been in that position anyway, as he should have been signed on well prior.

How many get there with reigning golden glove winners?

Rare sure, City just got there with a treble winner.

I'll stand with the club on this one, it happens and drags out to this stage. Doubt many fans will be all that surprised if he leaves on a free, I go by the rule if the player isn't signed by the end of the season they aren't likely to be sticking around. If it took some end of season poor performances for ETH to finally decide DDG can't be his no1 moving forward then so be it.

My only concern is if the club doesn't have a new number one lined up and ready to go. Henderson needs to be sorted asap as well.

Leaving with a whimper won't change mine and I daresay most fans opinion on DDG over the years. Great servant, club legend but the torch needs to be passed.

Rare sure, City just got there with a treble winner.

City don't have any issue buying and replacing players. I did mention that in an earlier post.

If we were semi-competent it wouldn't be as big an issue.

I'll stand with the club on this one, it happens and drags out to this stage. Doubt many fans will be all that surprised if he leaves on a free, I go by the rule if the player isn't signed by the end of the season they aren't likely to be sticking around. If it took some end of season poor performances for ETH to finally decide DDG can't be his no1 moving forward then so be it.
How and why would anyone be surprised he leaves on a free?

His contract expires in a few days. It's the overwhelmingly likely scenario.

My only concern is if the club doesn't have a new number one lined up and ready to go. Henderson needs to be sorted asap as well.

Henderson needed to be gone already. Same with a number of others.

It's a joke that his situation hasn't yet been sorted and it again points to the incompetence of those running the show.

Leaving with a whimper won't change mine and I daresay most fans opinion on DDG over the years. Great servant, club legend but the torch needs to be passed.
It's not really about the fan perception though. That was never a part of my point.

I mean as good as his year was he conceded 2 more goals than expected, that's poor also made 2 mistakes leading to goals and 1 mistake that should have resulted

Ranked in the bottom 9 percent for Crosses Claims
Ranked in the bottom 30 percent for touches per 90

We need a more modern keeper who can claim crosses and who can touch and carry the ball

Compare that to the 2 we are linked with

Costa
Top 73% for crosses claimed
Top 84% for touches per 90

Onana
Top 56% for crosses claimed
Top 89% for touches per 90

City don't have any issue buying and replacing players. I did mention that in an earlier post.

If we were semi-competent it wouldn't be as big an issue.

How and why would anyone be surprised he leaves on a free?

His contract expires in a few days. It's the overwhelmingly likely scenario.

Henderson needed to be gone already. Same with a number of others.

It's a joke that his situation hasn't yet been sorted and it again points to the incompetence of those running the show.

It's not really about the fan perception though. That was never a part of my point.

I know your point on City but they also had an offer on the table for Gundogan to stay so even they aren't immune to losing someone off of an award winning season regardless if they can just replace them.

That is what I am saying, no one would be surprised so him getting his hero goodbye well I'm sure the fans knew at OT final game.

Agree with you on most of this bud.

City in for Veiga now that they have withdrawn from Rice.

He is an upcoming star midfielder with a low release clause (35 million pounds) who had a very good season. Other teams making smart signings while we sit around and declare interest only.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

City in for Veiga now that they have withdrawn from Rice.

He is an upcoming star midfielder with a low release clause who had a very good season. Other teams making smart signings while we sit around and declare interest only.
Come on don't you want to over pay for mount hahaha

Bloomberg now reporting Qatar is confident that they have won (to the point that they have been communicating this openly) and an announcement is expected soon. They also saying SJR's bid is open to legal action, which has been mentioned few times now. He seems to have ****ed himself whilst trying to kiss Glazers' arse.

Bloomberg now reporting Qatar is confident that they have won (to the point that they have been communicating this openly) and an announcement is expected soon. They also saying SJR's bid is open to legal action, which has been mentioned few times now. He seems to have ****ed himself whilst trying to kiss Glazers' arse.

Absolutely shocked that the English media aren’t falling over themselves to rubbish this report. 😂

Arsenal look to have got both their men

ETH doesn't even have a striker or GK

Funny thing is Havertz is one Chelsea player they wanted to get rid of and he has been trashed on this board plenty of times as being average. Now all of a sudden he’s a great signing. I’ll give them Declan Rice but Havertz? Bleh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back