Review Laidley v Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

AdmiralBenson

All Australian
May 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Scott now effectively gone after a long stint with a few definite ups, plenty of average and downs.

Many will celebrate the move (as i have) but it made me remember back to Laidley (where similar thoughts were had)

I honestly think Laidley, despite his failings especially trading, was the better coach in his tenure considering resources and list - and especially on match day tactically.

Others might disagree and that's fine.

I want this to be a positive discussion of their respective careers.

• Banned
I'd also say Scott had access to far better resources than Laidley ever did.

Interesting discussion as i suspect Scott might be remembered as the better coach by the rank and file supporter, especially neutrals.

• Banned
I believe Laidley was a coach without the media skills etc.

Tactically Laidley could win us a game we shouldn't be winning.

Scott to me lost us games that were sodas but very polished in media to spin etc.

Last edited:

Scott to me lost us games that were sodas but very polished etc.

I'd tend to go along with that. Dean was better tactically. Brad was just better at gift wrapping waffle.

I also found Laidley, flaws and all, far more genuine and loved the club.

I've never felt that from Scott despite all the rhetoric.

He was a shinboner. No doubt about that.

As for the Scott era, the entire administration has hijacked the term.

He was a shinboner. No doubt about that.

As for the Scott era, the entire administration has hijacked the term.

Always felt he loved his role for the members. Basic, straight talker.

He was genuinely upset when time was up (which it was) but was proud of him even if we didn't get a GF or Flag.

I don't feel that way at all about Scott and never have.

Scott to me lost us games that were sodas but very polished in media to spin etc.

Laidly I'd back to be able to find a way to win any one single winnable game... but gee it was like fingernails on the blackboard stuff at times. Never had anywhere near the same resources or free reign so I'm inclined to be generous, but I'm not convinced he had any more ability to create that next new plan that takes the comp by storm either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laidly I'd back to be able to find a way to win any one single winnable game... but gee it was like fingernails on the blackboard stuff at times. Never had anywhere near the same resources or free reign so I'm inclined to be generous, but I'm not convinced he had any more ability to create that next new plan that takes the comp by storm either.

Fair comment and yes for all the desire there were bad times.

I guess my main point is who got the best out of their respective playing groups, pre and during game.

To me it's Laidley (plus he had a club folding/relocating direct issues) so no doubt led to some hair trigger trades that ultimately were silly in hindsight.

Last edited:
They both seemed to want their model their game plane on last year's premiers.

Scott comfortably the better PR man which is a big part of the modern-day senior coach gig.

Laidley the better game-day tactician who could stifle opposition plans.

Not sure who was the better strategist, or who was the better 'man manager', or who was the better coach overall.

What is Laidley doing these days? Any chance we can get him in as caretaker?

Dean Laidley tactically by a country mile, i think the 07 final against Hawthorn was he's best win. I never walked away from a game under Scott thinking he made a match winning move from the box in ten years.

Completely agree.

In fact the opposite with Scott where a move needed to be made and never happened.

Watched limited guys like Rich cut us up, when barely a factor in other games, still burns.

Scott now effectively gone after a long stint with a few definite ups, plenty of average and downs.

Many will celebrate the move (as i have) but it made me remember back to Laidley (where similar thoughts were had)

I honestly think Laidley, despite his failings especially trading, was the better coach in his tenure considering resources and list - and especially on match day tactically.

Others might disagree and that's fine.

I want this to be a positive discussion of their respective careers.

The real value of anything is determined in it's second sale.

That Scott is highly likely to go on and be a head coach elsewhere answers this question pretty soundly imo. That being said I fully understand the disappointment against him. That disappointment though is completely immaterial when considering the question you pose however.

Allir only a game ago.

Killed us but yep boys, drop it on Browns head again and again......whilst Allir controls it in air and Swans sweep it away (and they were almost a VFL team)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back