Bumped James Kelly in the club song

Remove this Banner Ad

can someone give me a run down of what he did? i didn't get to watch the whole game yesterday...
When the camera was panning around from inside the huddle during the song, Kelly had his eyes closed and was leaning his head on a teammate's shoulder as if he was asleep. That's it.

Was a genuine LOL moment for me. :D

Enright, Scarlett and Kelly have done this for a while if I recall, they did it last year and we won the flag.

They're arrogant bastards and I love it. :thumbsu:

However, Bomber's curt response to Lloyd's question after the game took me by surprise. I think Bomber just needs to cool it and keep his frustration with the Ablett's saga under wraps as it's not doing much for the club at the moment.
This is something I've heard about this morning, without actually knowing what Bomber was asked and how he responded. Anyone care to shed some light? Cheers.

Anyone who's played knows that you very rarely (if ever) see the same emotion in these little 'tv' singalongs as you see in most club changerooms after a good win. Forcing players to stand in a circle while a camera is shoved in their faces is a pretty sure way to take much of the heart-felt emotion out of the team song.

I'm not surprised at all that the Geelong players kid around a little. I find the camera itself more offensive than anything any Geelong player has done to date.

If they want to see players showing a little honest emotion, how about they show the song from the perspective of a fixed camera (on the wall) to allow players to be a little more natural. You might see a very different result then.

What I find more interesting (than Kelly or whoever playing around), is why Matthew Stokes hasn't sung a word of the song since coming back from his club imposed suspension? Has Stokes himself commented on this at all?

This is something I've heard about this morning, without actually knowing what Bomber was asked and how he responded. Anyone care to shed some light? Cheers.

Lloyd asked Bomber what he thought of the Melbourne team. Did he see a resemblance to the cats.

Bomber was very short, very grumpy.

He said something like 'I wasn't taking any notice of them, I'm the geelong coach not the Melbourne coach'

Lloyd asked Bomber if Melbourne were a key forward or two from being a champion side (in the future), or something along those lines. Bomber's response was something like 'don't know, don't care. I'm the Geelong coach not the Melbourne coach'. He also said something about not paying any attention to our opposition, which you would think is not entirely true.

He was a bit dismissive and not particularly polite but not necessarily overly offensive. Lloyd was having a smile and didn't seem especially put out.

I understand that Bomber is getting a little frustrated with this whole Ablett business, but it might be nice to see him be a little more careful with how he approaches unrelated matters.

Watching stokes not singing the song, and having his head down...well honestly I think I respect him a lot more. He obviously feels within himself that he hasn't earned it yet and that shows a real desire to make amends.

that stood out alot more to me then kelly mucking around

ha actually looked real emotional, like he wasnt gonna sing it until he felt he had made up for it

sure he stuffed up, but personally i had a bit more respect for him after seeing that

if you didn't see any humour in Kelly's "having a snooze antic" then you obviously disrespect the light side of life & sharing good-hearted banter & humour.

all the serious-heads need to go & grease their funny-bones in order to get life in perspective again.

and the idea that a jumper & a club song is somehow sacred is mind bogglng to me. they are just icons that have abstract meaning for a footy follower, & are certainly not sacred nor part of any higher scheme of things.

Some of the comments in that thread on the main page go way beyond pathetic. It was a joke, get over it.

Also, where's the article from 2008 with Scarlett saying that the premiership was tied up?

Some of the comments in that thread on the main page go way beyond pathetic. It was a joke, get over it.

Also, where's the article from 2008 with Scarlett saying that the premiership was tied up?
I never got an answer when I asked for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't it Aker who claimed that comment was made ?
Well he's proven this week to be a truthful person :eek:

When Geelong players made fun of the song last year (and it was shown on Brownlow medal night) I thought it was quite funny because it parodied the stage-managed made-for-tv circus that the song has become.

James Kelly didn't get away with it this time, however, because it (perhaps unintentionally) demonstrated a measure of contempt for the sheer challenge of winning a game of footy.

And it could not have been more poignant when compared to the Richmond footage.

I'd be surprised if Ling hasn't had a word.

When the camera was panning around from inside the huddle during the song, Kelly had his eyes closed and was leaning his head on a teammate's shoulder as if he was asleep. That's it.
Irony is if we sing the song with gusto after thumping the opposition we would be accused of going over the top and being arrogant ........
Just loving the way we are respecting the game on the field and the way the boys play for each other each and every week - their consistency is amazing.
As far as having some fun with the song it also shows how tight the group is and is another example of why they are playing for each other.
I'm sure if they overstep the mark the Leadership group will reign it in.
I have a lot of faith in where we are at ......and it's a fantastic place and time to be a Catter !!

I didn't think it looked that good but it's hardly a story. Bigger things going on at the minute - like defending a premiership and perhaps losing our best player for nix.

And it could not have been more poignant when compared to the Richmond footage.

Why compare it to Richmond ?
They last won a game before Jessica Watson set off around the world so of course they're going to go apeshit singing their song.If they ever won 2 or 3 in a row it would look totally different.

Why compare it to Richmond ?
They last won a game before Jessica Watson set off around the world so of course they're going to go apeshit singing their song.If they ever won 2 or 3 in a row it would look totally different.

Agree.

When Richmond win 70 out of 79 games and two premierships in three years then we'll compare.

if you didn't see any humour in Kelly's "having a snooze antic" then you obviously disrespect the light side of life & sharing good-hearted banter & humour.

all the serious-heads need to go & grease their funny-bones in order to get life in perspective again.

and the idea that a jumper & a club song is somehow sacred is mind bogglng to me. they are just icons that have abstract meaning for a footy follower, & are certainly not sacred nor part of any higher scheme of things.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that i didn't like it, not one bit.

You can all say what you like about it being a joke and what not, but Kelly only has to wait another 45 seconds before he could have joked all he liked.

I think Rabbit ears and pulling faces is ok, but then doing that doesn't directly devalue the club song like pretending to fall asleep does.

Ablett's face said it all.

As a Demons fan I suppose I didn't really find it offensive but I don't reckon any of us did. It was just a bit of a joke, I'm sure the leadership group at Geelong will sort out whatever needs to be sorted.

the real problem is the way richmond sung the song all that powerade and the dirt wouldve left the rooms filthy and all that jumping around just makes a joke of the AFL. disgraceful

Remove this Banner Ad

Back