Analysis Have Carlton just overtaken the bandwagon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Long term no they haven't, playing an experienced side this year they are going to be able to compete and get a few wins, if our young side continues its development we will be a better than the inconsistent one we are playing this year. .

Not really sure what your asking, but we need to have a mini purple patch and string some wins together and/or beat a side or two that no one expects us to to have a real 'break out' year. Carlton's game plan seems better than ours, whether it is more effective or being executed better I'm not sure. We don't seem to have the balance between attack and defence right yet. I think we have a more talented list but that will only get us so far.

I dont know why this couldnt be kept to the AFL discussion but anyway..

Good on Carlton and Brendon Bolton, clearly up to this point in time coach of the year. Now for the bad news they have absolutely no depth (see VFL), as quick as they appear to be going up they will come down just as quick when the s**t hits the fan on the injury front to their senior players. But good on them for playing at a level above themselves.

Clearly the bigger story out of the game is Geelong IMO. First round and future first round draft picks traded away for Danger, Henderson, you would want to be finishing top 4 this year or some questions will need to be asked.

Totally needed a reactionary thread.
We are 5-5 and have been beaten by Essendon, the Kangas, St Kilda, the Bullies, and Port. Only two of those teams are likely to play finals.

I think we have got a better list than Carlton too for what it's worth but they are getting better results than we are. To me that says they're being better coached. What we've got is a defensive set up that appears designed to concede goals as easily as possible.

We are 5-5 and have been beaten by Essendon, the Kangas, St Kilda, the Bullies, and Port. Only two of those teams are likely to play finals.

I think we have got a better list than Carlton too for what it's worth but they are getting better results than we are. To me that says they're being better coached. What we've got is a defensive set up that appears designed to concede goals as easily as possible.
We are also playing with one of the youngest sides in the comp. 5-5 with a chunk of our side sub-20 games is huge. Hunt, Wagner, OMac, ANB, Stretch, Petracca and Oliver have all played multiple games in 2016.

Right now there is a bit of pumping games into some guys going on remember.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are also playing with one of the youngest sides in the comp. 5-5 with a chunk of our side sub-20 games is huge. Hunt, Wagner, OMac, ANB, Stretch, Petracca and Oliver have all played multiple games in 2016.

Right now there is a bit of pumping games into some guys going on remember.

Lol, uses Wagner's name when it suits his argument. :D:thumbsu:

Lol, uses Wagner's name when it suits his argument. :D:thumbsu:
You got me :p

But we also have BenKen, Hogan, Kent, Gawn and Newton in the sub-50 games department from yesterday. Experience is now the big issue. We only have 9 players in the 90+ games bracket on the list - ie likely to hit 100 this year or already past 100. Melksham is one of them too, as is Grimes. There's a monster gap after that - we only have 6 players in the 50-90 bracket, and Trengove and Pedersen are two of them.

Add 12 months and that 50-90 bracket will have Hogan, Kent, Gawn and BenKen in it with all of Petracca, Brayshaw, Salem, Harmes and VdB approaching it. Huge difference.

It would be nice if our development follows suit.
It's ahead. The Giants in 2013 were just pumping in games. We are too, but because our upper echelon has a better age spread it'll be better in the medium term.

5 wins a piece, however our percentage is far superior. Seems the carts are neck and neck, who knows which will win the race.

Thing with Carlton is they not only some good experienced players they have a number of players who haven't played a great deal but have done about 4-5 pre seasons. Guys like Kerridge Lamb Sumner. Yesterday they had 1 guy who had debuted this year. We had 3. They had no players who debuted last year. We had 5 this week. Just shows where we are at with the list. We are bloody young.
Also players that are out injured include Brayshaw Salem and AVB who are not experienced. We need to play the likes of Dunn Dawes Lumumba Pedersen Trengove Grimes. Obviously not all this week but rotating the younger guys out every now and then won't hurt us.

Carlton for premiers!

I back our list in the long term. At the start of the year I expected 9-10 wins. Ill still be happy with this. Not going to get ahead of myself.

No, they have not, and they are not allowed to, and nor is anyone on this Board allowed to discuss this heinous subject.......at least not until after Round 22. I have already written up about 95% of my Preview and I, and this board should refuse point blank to countenance this as a matter for any form of discourse. So there!!

We have the youngest team in the league. Why is this so hard to understand?

You guys have been rebuilding for 3-4 years now, of course you have a young list.
We have one player on our list over 30, 12 players from 25 to 29 and this is the first year of our rebuild.
By this time next year we could potential add another 5/6 first round draft picks to the team that beat the cats yesterday.
I do think you guys have a really exciting young list and plenty to look forward too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back