Analysis Have Carlton just overtaken the bandwagon?

Remove this Banner Ad

What a bloody ridiculous knee jerk thread

Most of the posters have covered it here but ill have a go
Carlton are being carried by Thomas, Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Armfield, Rowe, Simpson, Docherty, Everitt, Casboult, Curnow, Walker, Jamieson, Kerridge, Touhy, Cripps and Wright
The first 3 are AA players and Kreuzer, Simpson, Docherty, Walker and Cripps are high quality senior players who are in top form
Everitt, Armfield, Rowe, Curnow, Casboult are limited players who are playing at their peak.. SENIOR players

Cripps and Weitering are the only 2 kids they are playing at the moment

Lets look at the Melbourne team
Jones, Vince, Garland, Tyson, Gawn, Watts, Viney, Jetta, Garlett, Dawes, Lumumba, Grimes, Trenners, Pedo Tmac
Jones, Vince, Gawn, Watts, Viney, Garlett, Jetta are our senior players who are playing regularly
Vince Tmac and Garlett have been inconsistent this year Garletts forward pressure is down and Vince is playing a new position
Dunn, Garland, Dawes, Lumumba, Trenners, Pedo Grimes have either not played or been poxy when they have
Jones, Watts Viney Tyson and Jetta have been our only consistent senior players with Gawn who has played less than 50 games and Viney has played less than 60

Kent, Kennedy, Bugg, Frost, Wagner, Hunt, Tyson, Oliver, Brayshaw, Petracca, Omac, Gawn, Salem, Newton, ANB, Hogan have all played less than 60 games, thats a huge amount of youth to be rotating throught the side and normally when you have that many kids playing you would be a 2-8 or 3-7 side

We are being carried by our youth while Carlton is being carried by its older blokes

Drop Wagner, Kent, Oliver, Omac, Kennedy, Hunt, Petracca and replace them with Grimes, Dawes, Trenners, Lumumba, Dunn, Pedo, Michie and we would be a more consistent side with a lower ceiling

Roos is picking his team with next year in mind, I honestly dont think he is coaching for finals this year I think we are still developing which is why him and the coaching group are taking all the responsibility for poor performances this year and putting none of the pressure on the team
I had forgotten how opinionated you are. Nice to have you back.

Carlton's 3 best performed players so far this year have been #1 Gibbs(27yrs) #2 Docherty(22yrs) #3 Cripps(21 yrs)
That may well be, but show me a side that wins on the back of 3 blokes.
The guys I mentioned have been more than pivotal in Carlton's wins this year.
Am in no way suggesting that I disagree with the way they're going about it, just pointing out the differences between Carlton and Melbourne

Docherty(22)weitering(18)plowman(21)
Byrne(21)jaksch(21)buckley(23)
Boekhurst(22)cripps(21)kerridge(23)
Lamb(23)curnow(18)silvagni(18)
Sumner(22)mckay(18)cuningham(18)
Gorringe(23)graham(21)whiley(22)

Few holes but not the worst 23 and under side I have seen

B: Wagner (21) - T. McDonald (23) - Frost (22)
HB: Salem (20) - O.McDonald (20) - Hunt (21)
C: Stretch (19) - Tyson (22) - Bugg (23)
HF: Petracca (20) - Hogan (21) - Brayshaw (20)
F: Kent (22) - Weideman (18) - Harmes (20)
R: King (19) - Oliver (18) - Viney (22)
I: Hulett (18) - Kennedy (22) - Neal-Bullen (20) - Newton (23)

I know which I'd prefer ... 17 are in our best 22-25 ...

I haven't included an I/C but there are still 15 players in that Carlton side with games this year and one has been emergency the last 2 weeks.

Dat HF line...

You guys have been rebuilding for how long ?
Since 2012/13 of course you have more youth.
This is year one of our rebuild and we already have more first round talent on our list.

You guys have been rebuilding for how long ?
Since 2012/13 of course you have more youth.
This is year one of our rebuild and we already have more first round talent on our list.
Good thing for you guys that a 1st round draft pick is an automatic guarantee of being a success. I've loved tracking the successful, achievement laden careers of Cale Morton and Kane Lucas.

Not sure if serious

He is right, but this is only year 3 from us. Neeld set the club back 5 years with his moneyball strategy. Roos had to build from the ground up, whereas Bolton has done brilliantly but he also has far, far better senior players at his disposal compared to what Roos had (Roos had Jones, traded in Vince and I guess Dunn and Garland combined equal one senior player. Bolton had Murphy/Simpson/Gibbs/Kreuzer and has Casboult and Walker in excellent form).

He is right, but this is only year 3 from us. Neeld set the club back 5 years with his moneyball strategy. Roos had to build from the ground up, whereas Bolton has done brilliantly but he also has far, far better senior players at his disposal compared to what Roos had (Roos had Jones, traded in Vince and I guess Dunn and Garland combined equal one senior player. Bolton had Murphy/Simpson/Gibbs/Kreuzer and has Casboult and Walker in excellent form).
Kreuzer actually playing is a huge result. Poor bastard's had a s**t run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't say he inherited Kreuzer in great shape... They were trying to ship him out but he apparently failed medicals at two clubs.

I wouldn't say he inherited Kreuzer in great shape... They were trying to ship him out but he apparently failed medicals at two clubs.

Yeah, and 8 or 9 months ago, Gibbs and Murphy were hardly seen as solid building blocks to work with either. Bolton is working wonders with a thin list and maximising his players potential.

Good thing for you guys that a 1st round draft pick is an automatic guarantee of being a success. I've loved tracking the successful, achievement laden careers of Cale Morton and Kane Lucas.

Cale Morton was a gun. Grew up next door to Nat Fyfe and Fyfe has said that Cale had more natural talent then him.
Morton and Lucas were very poorly developed both clubs ruined them really.
Lucas is rumoured to have had some problems with depression, but he had plenty of natural talent.
If he didn't West Coast wouldn't have bothered rookie listing him.
Remember watching Cale Morton in his first year IIRC and thinking this kid can play.
If he had been drafted to a good side things could have been very different.

Kreuzer actually playing is a huge result. Poor bastard's had a s**t run.

He is massive for us. Stats have never been a true indicator to the impact he is having on the ground.
When fit he is one those rare players that can actually improve our team by 20%-25%.
I see Max Gawn now has a similar effect for you guys. He seems a different player to the one Kreuzer got hold of last year.

Cale Morton was a gun. Grew up next door to Nat Fyfe and Fyfe has said that Cale had more natural talent then him.
Morton and Lucas were very poorly developed both clubs ruined them really.
Lucas is rumoured to have had some problems with depression, but he had plenty of natural talent.
If he didn't West Coast wouldn't have bothered rookie listing him.
Remember watching Cale Morton in his first year IIRC and thinking this kid can play.
If he had been drafted to a good side things could have been very different.
Morton and Lucas fall into the category of young stars who had a poor contested possession rate as a junior. Toumpas and Aish also fall into this category.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back