Opinion Things you'll do this weekend when we have the bye

Remove this Banner Ad

I used to buy all my new stuff from the UK, post-covid shipping just became way too much (or maybe I just didn't notice it before). Definitely feels a lot more expensive than it was anyway.

I still buy pieces here and there but a little while back I counted over 5,000 records in my house, it's just too much. Mind you, hard to resist when I stumble onto a good deal still.
5000 is a great collection! I've got about 500-600 vinyl. But I've got over 10,000 cds. So I'm hoping for a resurgence in cds like there's been in vinyl :) I think my collection is worth about 230k on Discogs. Have you got all your collection logged? I had to for insurance purposes. It's a great way of seeing what you have and don't have as well. Great website.

Yeah shipping is cooked now on Discogs, sadly

I've got nearly 1,000 records, maybe 80% from Discogs. Used to be a lot cheaper to get 2nd hand house/techno/trance records from US/UK/Germany.
I find European postage much cheaper than US. Getting anything from the states these days is ridiculously expensive! It's expensive from Europe too, I just find it much cheaper than America. Discogs is probably the best place to buy used vinyl as the sellers generally have a decent idea on how to grade the vinyl. Unfortunately most of the quality stuff is overseas as we are getting less and less local releases.

I was holidaying in London last year and took the opportunity to load up on albums. They have a wild number of record stores. Some of what I was looking for was classical which is harder to get, but there is mountains of everything else.

I was holidaying in London last year and took the opportunity to load up on albums. They have a wild number of record stores. Some of what I was looking for was classical which is harder to get, but there is mountains of everything else.
Europe is fantastic for music collectors tbh. They do record stores right! In a lot of them you can buy beers while you flip through the bins. They always have a great range of stock as well. Can barely find a record store anywhere in Australia these days.

Europe is fantastic for music collectors tbh. They do record stores right! In a lot of them you can buy beers while you flip through the bins. They always have a great range of stock as well. Can barely find a record store anywhere in Australia these days.
It was literally my favourite occupation while I was there. My partner has a huge and diverse taste in late 60s 70s and often really obscure stuff. He was in heaven. I thought a lot of it might be terrible but a lot of it is excellent. It’s surprising how much good music doesn’t seem to survive the test of time. And discovering that most of the record shops in Camden sell beer just made it perfect.

We packed in a fair number to bring back too. Being summer I didn’t pack much, and bought s**t clothes from the markets to wear while on holiday then leave behind. And other than music I HATE shopping so had heaps of luggage space. I think we came home with records plus one Westminster Abbey bookmark. Perfect. And a fridge magnet

It was literally my favourite occupation while I was there. My partner has a huge and diverse taste in late 60s 70s and often really obscure stuff. He was in heaven. I thought a lot of it might be terrible but a lot of it is excellent. It’s surprising how much good music doesn’t seem to survive the test of time. And discovering that most of the record shops in Camden sell beer just made it perfect.

We packed in a fair number to bring back too. Being summer I didn’t pack much, and bought s**t clothes from the markets to wear while on holiday then leave behind. And other than music I HATE shopping so had heaps of luggage space. I think we came home with records plus one Westminster Abbey bookmark. Perfect. And a fridge magnet
Did the fridge magnet outline the 2024 fixture of the MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB? :smallfooty:

Did the fridge magnet outline the 2024 fixture of the MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB? :smallfooty:
Disappointingly no, but it does show a black cab next to a red telephone booth with Big Ben in the background so it did a fair bit of work for one magnet.

5000 is a great collection! I've got about 500-600 vinyl. But I've got over 10,000 cds. So I'm hoping for a resurgence in cds like there's been in vinyl :) I think my collection is worth about 230k on Discogs. Have you got all your collection logged? I had to for insurance purposes. It's a great way of seeing what you have and don't have as well. Great website.
I reckon the CD resurgence is already here tbh. I sell them every day. Had a couple go for around $150 each in the last couple of months, which is mental to me.

I've probably bought more CD's for my collection in the last year than vinyl too, some of that is a space consideration but also a lot of stuff I've wanted like 90s electronic stuff, loads of Australian stuff just never had a vinyl release.

Yeah shipping is cooked now on Discogs, sadly

I've got nearly 1,000 records, maybe 80% from Discogs. Used to be a lot cheaper to get 2nd hand house/techno/trance records from US/UK/Germany.
1,000 records is a fair stash, goddamn.

I reckon the CD resurgence is already here tbh. I sell them every day. Had a couple go for around $150 each in the last couple of months, which is mental to me.

I've probably bought more CD's for my collection in the last year than vinyl too, some of that is a space consideration but also a lot of stuff I've wanted like 90s electronic stuff, loads of Australian stuff just never had a vinyl release.

1,000 records is a fair stash, goddamn.
I’m sure the CD resurgence is here. People have caught onto the limitations of their Apple Music or whatever subscriptions

Spotify and those streaming services suck! Too many reasons to list why I've never signed up to any of those music platforms.
Very disappointing.

Bad for me because I listen to a lot of classical music, where it’s not just about the piece of music but the interpretation. So basically I have at least 5 versions of Beethoven String Quartets on CD and vinyl because they are different. Apple Music can mostly (if it’s your big dead Germans at least) give me the work, but not the artist I’m looking for.

As for other genres, not worth it unless your taste is exclusively top twenty pedestrian. Bored by the number of times I say hey siri, and she has nothing.

TBF she’s a great cooking timer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back