Geelong to go undefeated in 2024??

Remove this Banner Ad

Their lack of injuries is impressive
Everyone said our horror injury run of 2023 (especially racking up multiple in-game injuries several times) was guaranteed to repeat in 2024.

That a softer draw and getting a couple of early home games was irrelevant.

That a big pre season to get fit and actually be able to generate running transition was inconsequential.

That good sides don't in fact generally bounce back.

Oh well.

Everyone said our horror injury run of 2023 (especially racking up multiple in-game injuries several times) was guaranteed to repeat in 2024.

That a big pre season to get fit and actually be able to generate running transition was inconsequential.

Oh well.
We tried to tell them that broken faces, broken arms, turf toe, broken ribs, & teamates colliding with each other to fracture shoulders wasn't the product of age...but some just wouldn't listen.

We tried to tell them that broken faces, broken arms, turf toe, broken ribs, & teamates colliding with each other to fracture shoulders wasn't the product of age...but some just wouldn't listen.
Yeah and we are still getting those injuries/niggles to the older players, like Dangerfield's second injury of the season, Guthrie missing until today, Rohan's delayed start, Stanley and Tuohy needing to be managed etc. But what we aren't getting is freak collision injuries and unlucky incidents to the sub-30 year old players, therefore things aren't reaching a critical mass.

Yeah and we are still getting those injuries/niggles to the older players, like Dangerfield's second injury of the season, Guthrie missing until today, Rohan's delayed start, Stanley and Tuohy needing to be managed etc. But what we aren't getting is freak collision injuries and unlucky incidents to the sub-30 year old players, therefore things aren't reaching a critical mass.
It's amazing how well you can manage without your A-Graders when the second and third tier hasn't been wiped out too.

We were at a point last year where the entire second string midfield was out along with the first.

No team can work effectively through that, yet the same old "tOo oLd, tOO sLoW" was rolled out yet again.

All true. The average footy fan will die on the hill that he is a pompous, condescending, arrogant coach because of the way he speaks in the press.

I haven't watched a Scott presser in years (they're a pointless exercise). It's fairly obvious he has been an impressive coach that players love to play for.
Tall poppy syndrome.
Also, footy fans love a knockabout bogan which is why Ken Hinkley is so loved and adored in the footy community, by everyone except Port fans.

Brad cops hate for the same reason as Chris, in that he comes across as arrogant and pompous.

Tall poppy syndrome.
Also, footy fans love a knockabout bogan which is why Ken Hinkley is so loved and adored in the footy community, by everyone except Port fans.

Brad cops hate for the same reason as Chris, in that he comes across as arrogant and pompous.
Chris is intelligent, measured and calculated in his press conferences.
He doesn’t give much away at all but will speak up when required on issues that he feels are impertinent to progressing football.

People don’t like that because to them it comes across like he is arrogant and entitled when that’s far from the truth.

Oh well.

It’s amazing isn’t it how people refused to listen. It’s not as if we needed hindsight. I’ve made some good bets with people that we would be back in the 8.
Even with the ridiculous amount of injuries last year our % was still 115.

We don’t have a hangover, we had a bigger and better pre season, don’t have the injuries and the fixture was going to be softer.
How so many people including experts let their dislike of us cloud their judgement despite these obvious things is ridiculous.

Buckley said we would win 8 games.
What.the….k

It’s amazing isn’t it how people refused to listen. It’s not as if we needed hindsight. I’ve made some good bets with people that we would be back in the 8.
Even with the ridiculous amount of injuries last year our % was still 115.

We don’t have a hangover, we had a bigger and better pre season, don’t have the injuries and the fixture was going to be softer.
How so many people including experts let their dislike of us cloud their judgement despite these obvious things is ridiculous.

Buckley said we would win 8 games.
What.the….k
Only one to go Bucks!

Kingy: "impossible" for Geelong to make finals.

Barrett was switched on, at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a few difficult games on the horizon for the cats. Melbourne next week at the G, Giants at home, Sydney away, Pies at the G, and Carlton get another shot too. I wouldn't go so far as saying the bombers will trouble them because we rarely do.

There's a few difficult games on the horizon for the cats. Melbourne next week at the G, Giants at home, Sydney away, Pies at the G, and Carlton get another shot too. I wouldn't go so far as saying the bombers will trouble them because we rarely do.
It's a dumb question as have Buckley's going through undefeated
The more relevant question is whether Geelong is a genuine flag chance.

While I always thought we would make finals, I don't think we have the midfield to be a premiership challenger. Carlton clearly won that battle yesterday which contributed to their healthy inside 50 count. Not sure how sustainable conceding big numbers inside 50 is especially against the better teams.

It's a dumb question as have Buckley's going through undefeated
The more relevant question is whether Geelong is a genuine flag chance.

While I always thought we would make finals, I don't think we have the midfield to be a premiership challenger. Carlton clearly won that battle yesterday which contributed to their healthy inside 50 count. Not sure how sustainable conceding big numbers inside 50 is especially against the better teams.
Fair point. The midfield does look weaker than that of any Geelong side in recent memory.

I'm usually loath to discount the cats as contenders given their continued success over the course of the past two decades, and even more so when you're 7-0 on top of the ladder. I feel anything less than a top 4 finish would be disappointing.

The last team that was talked up big time as a possibility of going through a season undefeated was the 2022 Melbourne Demons.

They were undefeated after 10 rounds with a phenomenal percentage of 161.7%, many pundits could just not see them being beaten, they ended up 2nd on the ladder with 6 losses and were knocked out in straight sets.

FWIW I agree the Cats are looking extremely good so far, them and the Giants look the most likely Grand Finalists at this early stage.

The last team that was talked up big time as a possibility of going through a season undefeated was the 2022 Melbourne Demons.

They were undefeated after 10 rounds with a phenomenal percentage of 161.7%, many pundits could just not see them being beaten, they ended up 2nd on the ladder with 6 losses and were knocked out in straight sets.

FWIW I agree the Cats are looking extremely good so far, them and the Giants look the most likely Grand Finalists at this early stage.

There are so many things one can say to disparage Melbourne of 2022/2023, but I will leave it alone. Cats are nowhere near unbeatable, they are a solid side that most have under rated, they still have to earn the right to play finals and top4, that is not given at this stage.

Who is 'talking us up', though? Everyone seems desperate to downplay or invalidate our performances so far with a litany of excuses about why they "don't count".

Almost everyone on here was expecting us to finish about where we did last season.

Even the overwhelming majority of Cats fans would be surprised with where we are at now. I know I am.

Who is 'talking us up', though? Everyone seems desperate to downplay or invalidate our performances so far with a litany of excuses about why they "don't count".

Almost everyone on here was expecting us to finish about where we did last season.

Even the overwhelming majority of Cats fans would be surprised with where we are at now. I know I am.

I have a substantial wager with a betting company that we'd finish top 4. They are outstripping even my expectations.

Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

Geelong’s perennial excellence is Man City esque. End please.

The last time they were irrelevant (2003):
  • Coco Gauff wasn’t even born yet
  • Mark Latham was yet to be ALP leader
  • Idol Season 1 was still going
  • Saddam hadn’t been captured yet
I still remember that Rnd3 2004 game where (despite the preseason final) they seemed 2003 all over again and then suddenly gave the Swans a real scare. They finished that round 0-3 bottom but it quickly proved to be the new normal. That was the last time I recall being dismissive of the Cats.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back