Geelong to go undefeated in 2024??

Remove this Banner Ad

Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

Geelong’s perennial excellence is Man City esque. End please.

The last time they were officially crap (2003):
  • Coco Gauff wasn’t even born yet
  • Mark Latham was yet to be ALP leader
  • Idol Season 1 was still going
  • Saddam hadn’t been captured yet
I still remember that Rnd3 2004 game where (despite the preseason final) they seemed 2003 all over again and then suddenly gave the Swans a real scare. They finished that round 0-3 bottom but it quickly proved to be the new normal. That was the last time I recall being dismissive of the Cats.

Top post.

The Rd 2 performance the week before that vs the Blues was close to the direst performance I can remember - completely killed any and all optimism I had about our young list starting to gel.

Always darkest before dawn I guess?

Personally I would consider 2006 as a truly crap year, especially when you consider the context.
It was hapless underperforming though. After 2004-05 and the 2006 preseason win against Crowbots you’d never turn your back on them. They still easily accounted for the Grand Finalists at home (save a miracle Eagles comeback). Though I guess the curse was still a thing then. I recall being very relieved that they missed finals with those final Bartel moments in the Demons draw.

Top post.

The Rd 2 performance the week before that vs the Blues was close to the direst performance I can remember - completely killed any and all optimism I had about our young list starting to gel.

Always darkest before dawn I guess?
I remember Tom Harley coming out publicly and saying that sort of performance was unacceptable. Just brutally honest and no BS.

That was kind of the first spark of the cultural change and seemed to galvanise the team from then on.

This belongs on the Richmond board with the litany of other paranoid-obsessed Geelong content there.
The only paranoid one was Shocking changing rules every time Richmond won a flag and the CFL let him lol.

But no problems when the Cats win flags all the time,only a Richmond issue.

The only paranoid one was Shocking changing rules every time Richmond won a flag and the CFL let him lol.

But no problems when the Cats win flags all the time,only a Richmond issue.

They changed the rules to negate Mark Blicavs when we WERENT winning flags genius and he’s only one player. Imagine how many f**king rules they would have changed if we won the comp at that stage

Knowing how headf**ked you are by a team being 7-0 makes me more desperate to see us win the comp this year than my natural support for my team does, just to see how you would respond

The ruthless efficiency is great, but all it takes is one slip in finals and they're done. Carlton seemed like the better team yesterday but still lost based on butchering a few and Geelong's amazing efficiency.

They won't go undefeated, that's nonsense, but could definitely win the flag. I don't think they will, because the age profile is still not great and it's a long season, but they're definitely one of the favourites. Which is unbelievable.

Scott is a genius.

Geelong will probably lose a few games along the way, it's very difficult for a team to go undefeated throughout the entire season.

Oh and please........PLEASE.....let's not turn this thread into a "who's better out of GAJ and Dustin Martin" discussion.

We are tired of it...

Geelong will probably lose a few games along the way, it's very difficult for a team to go undefeated throughout the entire season.

Oh and please........PLEASE.....let's not turn this thread into a "who's better out of GAJ and Dustin Martin" discussion.

We are tired of it...

There’s only one fanbase doing that.
The wider AFL community knows who was better…

But anyway.

WE MAY NEVER LOSE AGAIN 😂

Personally I would consider 2006 as a truly crap year, especially when you consider the context.
The 2005 final loss was rage inducing back then …it’s amazing how far back I had to go for that kind of response might be more of a youth thing than anything else actually

Last edited:
The 2005 final loss was rage inducing back then …it’s amazing how far back I had to go for that kind of response might be more of a youth thing than anything else actually

At the time it felt we were truly cursed. Smashed my parents' TV remote when that final Davis goal went through.
Nights like that are why Carlton's flurry of goals late yesterday are mentally damaging.

I maintain we should have beaten Brisbane in the 04 PF too, but wasted too many good chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ruthless efficiency is great, but all it takes is one slip in finals and they're done. Carlton seemed like the better team yesterday but still lost based on butchering a few and Geelong's amazing efficiency.

They won't go undefeated, that's nonsense, but could definitely win the flag. I don't think they will, because the age profile is still not great and it's a long season, but they're definitely one of the favourites. Which is unbelievable.

Scott is a genius.

Agree the age profile is not great, but what is pleasing about this year is the drive is mostly coming from the younger (by Geelong's standard) players. The elder statesmen are more role players now.

And no we won't go undefeated.

Chris is intelligent, measured and calculated in his press conferences.
He doesn’t give much away at all but will speak up when required on issues that he feels are impertinent to progressing football.

People don’t like that because to them it comes across like he is arrogant and entitled when that’s far from the truth.
Chris is more intelligent than your average footy fan, so he comes across as arrogant in their eyes - plus he isn't a knockabout bogan.
Chris and Brad would be the most intelligent coaches in the league, and they're both widely disliked.

Michael Voss is universally loved because he's a knockabout bogan - same as guys like Jonathan Brown, Ken Hinkley and Luke Hodge.

Scott is a genius.
Seemed the better team?
The cats found it far easier to score and had far better inside 50s than the Blues, although they had less, im not sure how they looked better, the Blues were scrappy, maybe you like that style of ruggedness, but they didn’t look the “better” side.

Scott is a genius.
Watching Carlton yesterday was like watching Port under Ken Hinkley.
Carlton won KPIs such as clearances, contested possessions and inside 50s yet they still lost.

Seemed the better team?
The cats found it far easier to score and had far better inside 50s than the Blues, although they had less, im not sure how they looked better, the Blues were scrappy, maybe you like that style of ruggedness, but they didn’t look the “better” side.

I thought the blueballs generally dominated the midfield battle, but reminded me of port with the number of "bomb it to Charlie/Harry" kicks into the f50.

Geelong absolutely brutally efficient going forward. Just not sure you'll always be able to be that efficient and kick that well.

I thought the blueballs generally dominated the midfield battle, but reminded me of port with the number of "bomb it to Charlie/Harry" kicks into the f50.

Geelong absolutely brutally efficient going forward. Just not sure you'll always be able to be that efficient and kick that well.
Yeah agree, however blues only had 2 more shots at goal, or 2 more scoring shots, we were efficient early and then not as much in 2nd half.
Cats have loads to get better at to be the best in the league, that’s definitely not my argument, they just don’t tend to win the midfield stats, but defend well against clearances and attack from half back well and obviously are efficient up forward.
Port will not be scared of the cats in a fortnight, it’s a very even comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back