Women's Footy Fremantle AFLW - TOTW, Comp MVP, Rising Star, Coaches' Votes, BF POTY

Remove this Banner Ad

Womens.afl's AFLW player of season (end of round four):
9 –
Kiara Bowers (Fremantle)
8 – Jasmine Garner (North Melbourne), Jaimee Lambert (Collingwood), Karen Paxman (Melbourne), Maddy Prespakis (Carlton)
6 – Ebony Marinoff (Adelaide), Ellie Blackburn (Western Bulldogs), Alyce Parker (GWS)
5 – Emily Bates (Brisbane), Sophie Conway (Brisbane), Emma Kearney (North Melbourne), Ash Riddell (North)

Bowers just pipped in this award too. Ended up on 12 votes, to finish 4th behind Jasmine Garner (Norf), Karen Paxman (Melb) and Maddy Prespakis (Carlton), all on 13 votes.

Last edited:
Votes SF v GCS

2. E.Antonio
2. K.Antonio
2. Bowers
1. Miller
1. Stannett
1. O’Sullivan
1. Duffy

Would love to fit Gooch, Pugh, Flood, Seth, Roux (even just for that mark!), Sharp, Grieve and Mascall in, but just not enough space. Prob forgot some others as well. Whole team effort.

TOTW total (from 6 H&A games)
Bowers - 5
Duffy - 2
Houghton, Gooch, O’Sullivan, Seth, E.Antonio - 1

Turbo also MVP of Rds 2&5
Sabs MVP Rd 1

Roux Rising Star nom Rd 2

May as well do the votes for this week, cos who TF cares now anyway? Total votes:

Miller/Bowers - 4
Gooch/Ebony - 3
Duffy - 2
Kara/Stannett/O'Sullivan - 1

SF v Suns
3 - Bowers
3 - Miller
2 - Gooch
2 - E.Antonio
1. Duffy

Freo AFLW POTY

17. Bowers
10. Miller
7. Duffy
6. E.Antonio
4. Seth
3. Grieve
3. Sharp
3. Gooch
2. Stannett
2. O'Sullivan
2. Pugh
2. Houghton
1. Stewart
1. Roux
1. Strom
1. Mascall

Surprise, surprise - Turbo wins it with 17 votes from 7 games, with Miller in 2nd place on 10 votes.

Congrats girls - winners in more ways that one.

Bowers 4th in AFLW B&F, 1 vote behind joint winners Prespakis, and I can't remember but Garner and Lambert maybe?

Edit: Paxman not Lambert.

Last edited:
Gemma Houghton won the “Most Courageous Moment of the Year” for a killer hip and shoulder on GC player (Bella?) chasing Miller. Dropped her straight to the turf rolling in pain, while Gem just casually ran off ‘yeah, did my job’.

I’ll try and link the video to it, but if anyone else can do it, then please go ahead.

(Reading between the lines - I’m not sure how... 😖)

Watch Miller’s 2nd bounce... Houghton goes BANG, then runs off to almost catch up to Miller (and Miller’s quick), to offer her an option to dispose of the ball if she needed to.

(Miller casually had another couple of bounces before driving it to the top of the square. Brilliant play all round, starting with Gooch).

Last edited:
Bowers, Duffy, Houghton and Ebony all in 40-player AA squad. Hooch and Miller stiff imo.

Reckon Bowers and Duffy are locks. Houghton and Ebony outside chances. Both had terrific seasons, but Ebony’s was more dominant in the back half, where as Houghton did what Houghton does, but just couldn’t kick straight which will probably count against her. Imo.

Have a vote.

Have a vote.

Other Freo 22 and under who played this year:

KJG - stiff not to get into squad at least. Turned 23 in March 2020, probably missed the cut-off.
Mim Strom - rucked solo for the only undefeated team at age 18 🤷🏻‍♀️ Deserved a look-in, although prob not a spot. She’s got time on her side.
Jasmine Stewart - fair call not to get a spot, but will get better with age/experience. Still 21.
Ange Stannett - deserved a look in. Will be 23 by next season.
Hello... anybody home? ASHLEY SHARP! 22 - deserved a spot in the squad!!
Bianca Webb played but while solid, not squad material. Yet. She’s 18.

So my call is that it’s a travesty that Ash Sharp isn’t in the squad. Ange Stannett and Mim Strom unlucky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trent Cooper voted AFLCA AFLW Coach of the Year. :)

His record is pretty good over two seasons: 13 wins, 2 losses. 86.7% win ratio.

Other Freo 22 and under who played this year:

KJG - stiff not to get into squad at least. Turned 23 in March 2020, probably missed the cut-off.
Mim Strom - rucked solo for the only undefeated team at age 18 🤷🏻‍♀️ Deserved a look-in, although prob not a spot. She’s got time on her side.
Jasmine Stewart - fair call not to get a spot, but will get better with age/experience. Still 21.
Ange Stannett - deserved a look in. Will be 23 by next season.
Hello... anybody home? ASHLEY SHARP! 22 - deserved a spot in the squad!!
Bianca Webb played but while solid, not squad material. Yet. She’s 18.

So my call is that it’s a travesty that Ash Sharp isn’t in the squad. Ange Stannett and Mim Strom unlucky.
Wow, leaving out Sharp. I thought she was 24/25.

Wow, leaving out Sharp. I thought she was 24/25.
Still a youngster, plenty of years ahead 💪🏽.

And interesting the Freo girls voted Ange Stannett as one of their three MVP nominees, along with Turbo and Eb Ant, but she couldn’t make the squad for this team, even though she was eligible.😲🤦🏻‍♀️
They don’t notice/recognise the quiet achievers. Freo’s whole backline are quiet achievers who work together as a solid defensive unit. A team within a team...

But very big congrats to Roxy Roux and Sabreena Duffy for both making it. 💜💜

Still a youngster, plenty of years ahead 💪🏽.

And interesting the Freo girls voted Ange Stannett as one of their three MVP nominees, along with Turbo and Eb Ant, but she couldn’t make the squad for this team, even though she was eligible.😲🤦🏻‍♀️
They don’t notice/recognise the quiet achievers. Freo’s whole backline are quiet achievers who work together as a solid defensive unit. A team within a team...

But very big congrats to Roxy Roux and Sabreena Duffy for both making it. 💜💜
I’m sure why I am more angry when a female Docker gets overlooked than a male.

Maybe, it just keeps happening again and again.

I’m sure why I am more angry when a female Docker gets overlooked than a male.

Maybe, it just keeps happening again and again.

Agree. And especially now that not only we're a 'foundation team', and have established ourselves as one of the most dominant teams of the competition, you'd think there'd be some glances in our direction. Seems as a Freo player, if you're not Kiara Bowers or Ebony Antonio you don't exist.

haha, I was going to add Gemma Houghton and Sabreena Duffy to the list of recognisable and recognised Freo players, and we have 4 players in the 40-player squad for the AA team, TBA at 4pm AWST on Tuesday 27th April.

Our 4 players:

Kiara Bowers
Ebony Antonio
Sabreena Duffy
Gemma Houghton

Good luck to all 4 players to go one step further and make it into the AA team for 2020 (and who it seems are Freo's ONLY players...).

💜 💜 💜 💜 :freo:

2020 AFL Women’s All-Australian Squad

Adelaide Crows
Sarah Allan
Anne Hatchard
Ebony Marinoff

Brisbane Lions
Kate Lutkins
Emily Bates
Jesse Wardlaw
Sophie Conway

Carlton
Kerryn Harrington
Maddie Prespakis
Tayla Harris
Georgia Gee

Collingwood
Sharni Layton
Jaimee Lambert
Stacey Livingstone
Britt Bonnici
Brianna Davey

Fremantle
Kiara Bowers
Gemma Houghton
Sabreena Duffy
Ebony Antonio

Geelong Cats
Olivia Purcell

GWS Giants
Alyce Parker
Elle Bennetts

Gold Coast SUNS
Jamie Stanton
Kalinda Howarth
Jade Pregelj

Melbourne
Karen Paxman
Libby Birch
Daisy Pearce
Kate Hore

North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos
Emma Kearney
Jasmine Garner
Ash Riddell
Jenna Bruton

Richmond
Monique Conti

St Kilda
Georgia Patrikios
Caitlin Greiser

West Coast Eagles
Dana Hooker

Western Bulldogs
Ellie Blackburn
Isabel Huntington

Going to add it to all things "best" related.

Bower and Houghton AA.

This years Womens AA team, just goes to show that a champion team will always beat a team of champions.

Snubs are noted, but to me it will just built a team with “fire in their belly”.

Kiara Bowers runner up with 12 votes to Maddy Prespakis (15) in the AFLW W Award. Congrats to Prespakis on the win, and fair effort by Turbo to finish r/u. But for one average game, she could be sitting atop the pile with Prespakis, but a good game every game saw a deserving winner.

(Side note: Garner finished 17th with 4 votes).

Last edited:
Kiara Bowers runner up with 12 votes to Maddy Prespakis (15) in the AFLW W Award. Congrats to Prespakis on the win, and fair effort by Turbo to finish r/u. But for one average game, she could be sitting atop the pile with Prespakis, but a good game every game saw a deserving winner.

(Side note: Garner finished 17th with 4 votes).
Insane Votes. 15 would be 55 in 22 games. 12 would be 44.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back