VFL Elimination final v Carlton - Sunday August 28th @ Vic Park. 1:05pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people keep thinking we’re going to get blown out of the water by some of the better sides?Haven’t we just played some of them recently like Melbourne for example?And the fact is,we haven’t been blown out of the water by any side this year.Our biggest loss this year was 49 points against the Bulldogs when the team was riddled with the flu and we had team leaders like Pendlebury and Elliott missing.That game was certainly an outlier amongst our performances this year,and doesn’t really prove anything.

Last edited:
Ha! It’s already been taken. James Byrne, who was our runner in 2010, but prior to that, played everywhere. All the Pies blokes, like Licuria et al, call him Rudy.

It’s a good story. Rudy didn’t cover himself in glory in later life.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nervous to google your second point, but need to know now

Why do people keep thinking we’re going to get blown out of the water by some of the better sides?Haven’t we just played some of them recently like Melbourne for example?And the fact is,we haven’t been blown out of the water by any side this year.Our biggest loss this year was 49 points when the team was riddled with the flu and we had team leaders like Pendlebury and Elliott missing.That game was certainly an outlier in our performances this year,and doesn’t really prove anything.
Agree - it’s like people think we lack the ability to fight back from losing situations.
Go figure.

People need to understand we go forward with nothing to lose - every other team will be wary of of our dour resilience, and pray they avoid a close finish.

Melb game was a classic and defining performance where in the last 6’30” we held them to ZERO I50’s.
That’s how good our system has become - no one could possibly have predicted our ability to hold the current Premiers with a Full team, in a vice like defensive stranglehold for that amount of time, when the games was there to be one.

We are in this upto our eye balls.

I understand, but I think you are underestimating our ability to replace leaders like Pendles and Sidey. It will not be easy but our group has a very good group of emerging leaders who are very capable.

Leadership is what we’ll losing not so much football ability, which in both the case of Pendles and Sidey peaked a few years ago.

I hope you’re right. I still think we need 3 more top 15 selections.

Holy moly, Setterfield wasn't qualified to play VFL today?
Played 13 AFL games, 7 VFL games * this year. In previous years 12 senior games was the cutoff for non-AFL finalists. From memory an exception could be granted prior the final. I haven’t checked the 2022 rules to confirm if the rumour is true.

* once unused AFL sub
** no stats recorded against Coburg

Last edited:
Why do people keep thinking we’re going to get blown out of the water by some of the better sides?Haven’t we just played some of them recently like Melbourne for example?And the fact is,we haven’t been blown out of the water by any side this year.Our biggest loss this year was 49 points against the Bulldogs when the team was riddled with the flu and we had team leaders like Pendlebury and Elliott missing.That game was certainly an outlier amongst our performances this year,and doesn’t really prove anything.

Because the better teams will maximize their inside 50s and that will mean trouble for us. Our hope is to improve in the clearances and contested ball with Adam’s and DeGoey in there more often, and Grundy, I mean, er, the rucks improving in this area.

12 seconds of Google says he played 7

View attachment 1493406

The issue will be the same as local footy. None of those 7 games can be the same round he plays at AFL level. So if he is an unused medical sub then plays VFL the VFL game doesn’t count. I haven’t looked into the issue at all to know if he had been a medical sub. But that’s how local footy deals with it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played 13 AFL games, 7 VFL games * this year. In previous years 12 senior games was the cutoff for non-AFL finalists. From memory an exception could be granted prior the final. I haven’t checked the 2022 rules to confirm if the rumour is true.

* once unused AFL sub
** no stats recorded against Coburg

Yeah the unused sub will get him in there.

I actually think next year we’ll drop to around 8th. Then lower the year after As the A-grade veterans retire. This year has been an awesome ride but it has been built on castles in the air. I’m enjoying the hell out of it but I don’t think this has the makings of a premier team. Just my opinion.
In 2007-2009 we lost Bucks , Burns , Rocca and Clement. Four of our best retired and we won a flag in 2010. Players get recruited in and others improve so you never can be sure of such a decline happening.

The issue will be the same as local footy. None of those 7 games can be the same round he plays at AFL level. So if he is an unused medical sub then plays VFL the VFL game doesn’t count. I haven’t looked into the issue at all to know if he had been a medical sub. But that’s how local footy deals with it

If the rule quoted above is current then being an unused afl sub is irrelevant. The test is vfl games played.

Yeah the unused sub will get him in there.
That’s where the conjecture is. An unused sub is able to play VFL on the same weekend when the VFL match is played after the senior game.

If so there should be a disclaimer in the eligibility rules.

If the rule quoted above is current then being an unused afl sub is irrelevant. The test is vfl games played.

There’s also a cap on AFL. I haven’t looked up the 2022 rules, but previously it’s been 12.

In 2007-2009 we lost Bucks , Burns , Rocca and Clement. Four of our best retired and we won a flag in 2010. Players get recruited in and others improve so you never can be sure of such a decline happening.

You can never be sure. We’re all making guesses, or predictions. We can’t be sure we won‘t come last either. But I predict we won’t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back