GRAND FINAL
TREVOR BARKER OVAL 11:45am SUN 11/9
West Brunswick
BrunswickWest BrunswickBrunswick
1st SEMIFINALvsvs
Old ParadiansOld ParadiansWest Brunswick
Ivanhoe

Last edited:
Watched the last half on the livestream. Please don’t think I’m some kind of footy snob but have never seen a game of D2 as the club I played for and support has not been below A or B grade for 50 years. Was pleasantly surprised by the standard. A tad slower and a few body shapes you might now see in the top grades but the skills were very good and they certainly hit hard. I think in any comp there are several who would not look out of place in the top grades. One such player is obviously Ash Close who I bet has been courted many, many times over the years

Ivanhoe just kept persevering and despite some resolute defence by WB, they eventually broke the resistance. Heartbreak for West who I believe led for all bar 1 minute of the game. They could have pinched it in the last seconds but on balance it is fair and reasonable that the best side all year wins the flag.

Watched the last half on the livestream. Please don’t think I’m some kind of footy snob but have never seen a game of D2 as the club I played for and support has not been below A or B grade for 50 years. Was pleasantly surprised by the standard. A tad slower and a few body shapes you might now see in the top grades but the skills were very good and they certainly hit hard. I think in any comp there are several who would not look out of place in the top grades. One such player is obviously Ash Close who I bet has been courted many, many times over the years

Ivanhoe just kept persevering and despite some resolute defence by WB, they eventually broke the resistance. Heartbreak for West who I believe led for all bar 1 minute of the game. They could have pinched it in the last seconds but on balance it is fair and reasonable that the best side all year wins the flag.
Great post Jimmyjack, this description is spot on for D1 and the top teams in D2. The standard begins to drop away at a fair rate at the lower end of D2 and into D3/D4.

A cracking game yesterday with a terrific finish.

Watched it live.

Very good game, both teams had a real crack, and it came down to a little luck and alot of good football.

Ivanhoe handled the slightly slippery conditions in the last quarter better.

I the last West Brunawick ruashed kicka forward that lead to many out of bounds.

Dare I say that both teams would be ok in D Grade and would have been ok (at full strength) in Prem C.

Game style is a little different from Prem C. ie not a lot of switching.

Both No.1's were their teams best.

Great support for both teams.

Happy for the President who has worked tirelessly to get the "up the roaders" to where they are today.

Also believe Chump and Big Tucks will be washing some of those 1995 memories away (had too get one in).

Max "Around the grounds" Leader

What a fabulous Grand Final! I haven't seen a lot of VAFA footy but it was a spine tingling contest. West Brunswick lead all day only to be defeated by a mighty effort Ivanhoe in the final 90 seconds. As adopted West Brunswick fans we were watching the clock as it ticked to 30 minutes expecting a 5 point win. It wasn't to be! Ash Close and Shultz were outstanding all day and led Ivanhoe to an unlikely victory! A fabulous effort.

The game was played in the correct spirit and I noted Ash Close go to the shattered West Brunswick group prior to fully relishing the victory with his own players and supporters. Classy.

Turnbull, Risstrom, Stringer and the WB backline put up a mighty effort for three quarters but when the rain came it appeared to suit Ivanhoe which might have simply been down to desire and the respective health of available players in the final 30 minutes. The umpiring was fine from my perspective. They tended to put the whistle away later in the game but no complaints from my perspective.

Both teams should do themselves proud in Division 1 next year.

Cheers

What a fabulous Grand Final! I haven't seen a lot of VAFA footy but it was a spine tingling contest. West Brunswick lead all day only to be defeated by a mighty effort Ivanhoe in the final 90 seconds. As adopted West Brunswick fans we were watching the clock as it ticked to 30 minutes expecting a 5 point win. It wasn't to be! Ash Close and Shultz were outstanding all day and led Ivanhoe to an unlikely victory! A fabulous effort.

The game was played in the correct spirit and I noted Ash Close go to the shattered West Brunswick group prior to fully relishing the victory with his own players and supporters. Classy.

Turnbull, Risstrom, Stringer and the WB backline put up a mighty effort for three quarters but when the rain came it appeared to suit Ivanhoe which might have simply been down to desire and the respective health of available players in the final 30 minutes. The umpiring was fine from my perspective. They tended to put the whistle away later in the game but no complaints from my perspective.

Cheers
Fantastic day for the Hoes breaking a 53 year premiership drought.

West Brunswick were the better side on the day and were desperately unlucky. Having been on the losing side 5 times I understand the feeling.

West Brunswick were very hard at it but our boys never gave in.

Thrilling finish to a great year.

Cheers
Classy and full respect to you silver tongue. WB where a mighty adversary and although I am an ex Hoe of 17 seasons who was desperate to see my boys win what seemed the impossible, I feel a pang of disappointment for WB who were so formidable on the day when things for the hoes all fell our way

Also believe Chump and Big Tucks will be washing some of those 1995 memories away (had too get one in).

Max "Around the grounds" Leader
Wash away Peter Flynn knocking back Godfrey’s open chequebook offer the year after was good enough.
( had to respond )
Big fat retired Unit

What would everyone think the step up from D3 to D2 is in goals? 6 goals better?
Hard to say as teams change from year to year. Just know that if you don't maintain your list or improve that the bottom end of D2 may be a new home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While the action has been at the top of the table, we may see some interesting movement at the bottom. Do Powerhouse stay up and the merged entities head down a grade? Perfect chance to regroup and set themselves up on and off the field.

While the action has been at the top of the table, we may see some interesting movement at the bottom. Do Powerhouse stay up and the merged entities head down a grade? Perfect chance to regroup and set themselves up on and off the field.
Yarra Cobras will be in D2 next year. Only reprieve for Powerhouse is if a Club departs VAFA.

Called into Hoe Park for mad Monday and a dozen blokes were there! Discussion point was "who is the chump"
Went for look for his humpy and no one about except for empty beer cans

Hello Brainy One and fellow posters ............ I am alive!

Just had the lap top fixed after spilling some Bentspoke (sponsor shout out) over it during all the mayhem on Sunday evening ..........Monday......Tuesday.

What an amazing game of football. West Brunswick were in total control for almost three quarters IMO and looking like the Premiers a long way out from home. They had smashed Ivanhoe with better ball use in the dry conditions, around clearances and thier back line was holding up the Hoers scoring avenues. They had winners all over the ground, especially in the midfield and play makers off half back who were full of running deep into the last 10 minutes of the 3rd quarter. Their multi-pronged attack was working well with the usual suspects causing our back 6-8 some real headaches.

Then the rain came.

Ash Close told the team to move to another style of play, take enormous risks and have the courage to do things that would help us win, even if it was to mean we lost by a greater amount. The Hoers started playing 'surge football', taking everything through the center of the ground, playing on at every given opportunity and played a style of play more recently associated with Collingwood FC in the AFL. It was high risk, but high reward at the end of proceedings if we could bridge the gap. In the end we were lucky to have our noses in front when the final siren blew at 32.02 in the final 1/4.

From there it's all a bit of a blur to be honest, tears from so many who had been involved with this footy club for so long. Finally after 53 years and 8 failed attempts, the Senior Mens team were premiers again!

Whilst West Brunswick were absolutely gutted to come so close, they handled themselves with the class you expect from their organisation. They ARE a very good football side ..... and an even better football club, so congratulations again on an outstanding year to all involved.

As for me, I have been told by the coach that with a good pre-season I could push for a game. That commitment may have to wait a week or two whilst I enjoy this a little more.

Thanks for all the fun and banter this year on Big Footy. What a year!!

Champ :trophy:

Good to see the club finally win one. Been a hard slog. Hopefully Pete Rawley is still alive and well.
I played down there back in the late 80s with Peter Lee and Travis O’Neill when the club was in B grade and doing well and have kept an eye on results ever since. Not sure if those 2 are still part of the club but I’m sure they would be over the moon with the result as well.
Good luck in D1 next year

Good to see the club finally win one. Been a hard slog. Hopefully Pete Rawley is still alive and well.
I played down there back in the late 80s with Peter Lee and Travis O’Neill when the club was in B grade and doing well and have kept an eye on results ever since. Not sure if those 2 are still part of the club but I’m sure they would be over the moon with the result as well.
Good luck in D1 next year
Leggy was at the life members day about 4 weeks ago even though he lives miles away now still gets to the odd game, as does Trav who played a few ressies games into his 40s.
You were probably a team mate of mine and Pete Rawley as we started at the same time ( even if he seemed to go on into his 50s lol )
Premiers all the way 🏆◼️◻️

Ivanhoe Back 2 Back if CHAMOSEWS AN SAMOCHEWS link up
Chump - we will create a dynasty!!
Cheers Till Next Year
Well if the coach told chump he’s a chance at senior footy if he trains hard I’m already thinking we need severe bolstering if we’re gonna stay up 🤐

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back