List Mgmt. Dan Hannebery - 5 year deal & Pick 28 to St.Kilda for Pick 39 & 2019 2nd Round Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what those who are bagging the fact we paid so much money for Hanners and Hill and thus our list management team were incompetent need to remember is that back then, it had been identified that in previous years we’d been overpaying those already on our list, and not offering enough money to those available from other clubs (to entice them here), so that’s why we offered more than we probably wanted to for Hill in particular.

Because paying our own guys too much and not offering enough to those from other clubs was getting us nowhere.

We overcorrected with Hill in particular, but then I think it’s very fair to say that we got the balance just right last year, by refusing to pay Crouch enough to even get Adelaide band 2 compo.

So I suspect we’ve learned from those past mistakes and now have a much better idea of the balance we need to strike.

Everyone makes mistakes, but it’s whether you learn from them that’s important, and it looks very likely that we quickly learned from that overcorrection.

Last edited:
I think what those who are bagging the fact we paid so much money for Hanners and Hill and thus our list management team were incompetent need to remember is that back then, it had been identified that in previous years we’d been overpaying those already on our list, and not offering enough money to those available from other clubs (to entice them here), so that’s why we offered more than we probably wanted to for Hill in particular.

Because paying our own guys too much and not offering enough to those from other clubs was getting us nowhere.

We overcorrected with Hill in particular, but then I think it’s very fair to say that we got the balance just right last year, by refusing to pay Crouch enough to even get Adelaide band 2 compo.

So I suspect we’ve learned from those past mistakes and now have a much better idea of the balance we need to strike.

Everyone makes mistakes, but it’s whether you learn from them that’s important, and it looks very likely that we quickly learned from that overcorrection.

Some have suggested our cap is pretty tight and that we couldn't chase Treloar because we didn't have room for him. It sounds like as soon as Crouch announced that he wanted to come we just stopped communicating with Joe Caldwell too according to his close mate. I assume there just wasn't room. Lucky miss considering his injuries. I hope we have learnt from it, those two trades have potentially made us a bit gun shy to chase another big name big contract player. The current guys are also hamstrung by our legacy contracts like DMac on a long term contract and guys like Billings and Dunny on the kind of money that star players are on at other clubs.

I agree that mistakes are made and as long as they learn from them it's not a bad thing. I think the last list management set up made mistakes that they didn't learn from and that's been a longer term issue for us because we are still fixing their mistakes.

Some have suggested our cap is pretty tight and that we couldn't chase Treloar because we didn't have room for him. It sounds like as soon as Crouch announced that he wanted to come we just stopped communicating with Joe Caldwell too according to his close mate. I assume there just wasn't room. Lucky miss considering his injuries. I hope we have learnt from it, those two trades have potentially made us a bit gun shy to chase another big name big contract player. The current guys are also hamstrung by our legacy contracts like DMac on a long term contract and guys like Billings and Dunny on the kind of money that star players are on at other clubs.

I agree that mistakes are made and as long as they learn from them it's not a bad thing. I think the last list management set up made mistakes that they didn't learn from and that's been a longer term issue for us because we are still fixing their mistakes.
It's all good to make mistakes and learn from them, but the Hannebery one was pretty clearly a poor decision at the time. Actually worse than poor, closer to a fraud scenario based on Lethleans history with the players family.

We fixed Sydney's salary cap issues and paid them draft picks for the privilege and rooted our cap in the process. Look who's playing finals this year with a bunch of promising kids in the mix, YAY!

Chasing Hill made more sense, but still there's a point even after to committing to a player where the cost is too great and you walk away… we crossed that line by about 3 draft picks and a player.

Mitch McGovern looks like a shocking contract, but he's played 3 times the amount of games that Hanners has, he's 26 and still may have an impact. I would swap him with Hanners in a heartbeat. btw - I think he's been on closer to 700 than 800.

As I posted the other day, a big part of the reason our cap is tight would be due to our horrendous injury run in recent years, when it comes to guys who were in career-best form signing new long-term deals, and then pretty much falling off a cliff immediately afterwards, due to injury/health, and us then being stuck with their contracts:

Stuv
Armo
Robbo
McCartin
Stevens
Longer
About to be Carlisle

In 2019 for instance we were presumably paying Stuv, Robbo, Paddy, Armo and Carlisle over $3mil of our salary cap, for them to play the following number of games:

Stuv (~ $750k)- 7 games
Robbo (~ $650k)- 0 games
Armo (~ $650k)- 2 games
Paddy ($500k)- 0 games
Carlisle (~ $550k)- 10 games

And that was Hannas first year with us, so we were paying him who knows, maybe a $mil, to play 5 games.

So those 6 mostly injured/unavailable guys were taking up maybe $4mil of our salary cap, to play 24 games between them.

Then last year we were paying Robbo and McCartin to play 1 game and Stuv to play for another team. Presumably well over a mil of our salary cap. And this year we’re paying Robbo again to not play.

All that right there would be a big part of the reason our cap is tight, along with paying that extra $650K, because we’ve taken the COVID 7% hit in one go.

Robbo and the extra Covid hit would presumably be over a mil between them this year.

But both of those will be behind us after this year and Hannas contract will be behind us next year, and you’d think we’ll have a pretty decent amount to throw at “big fish” then, as a result.

Should be another decent clear-out off the books coming up too…

McKernan, Hunter, Clavarino, Wood, Frawley, Kent, Roberton, Geary, Carlisle.

Would be surprised to see any of those guys on the list next year, so that's what… 2 million+ freed up before thinking of pushing Billings out?

Also re Treloar, it needs to be remembered that unlike Crouch, we would have to have traded for him, and he would have cost us our first rounder in one way or another last year, which would have potentially limited our ability to trade a first in upcoming years, so going to the draft with our first last year and likely this year will leave us able to trade potentially two firsts at the end of next year.

Would be surprised to see any of those guys on the list next year, so that's what… 2 million+ freed up before thinking of pushing Billings out?
All of McKernan, Hunter, Clavarino, Wood, Frawley and Carlisle are on very little. All it will free up is the amount needed for their minimum wage replacements.

Kent and Geary would both free us us the ability to get 2 more fringe players from other clubs.

It's not going to free up anything of significance.

All of McKernan, Hunter, Clavarino, Wood, Frawley and Carlisle are on very little. All it will free up is the amount needed for their minimum wage replacements.

Kent and Geary would both free us us the ability to get 2 more fringe players from other clubs.

It's not going to free up anything of significance.
Robbo, Gears, Dunstan, Kent and no more Covid hit would free up a decent chunk of space. Depending on whether those contracts outside of Gears one were front-ended or not.

Also re Treloar, it needs to be remembered that unlike Crouch, we would have to have traded for him, and he would have cost us our first rounder in one way or another last year, which would have potentially limited our ability to trade a first in upcoming years, so going to the draft with our first last year and likely this year will leave us able to trade potentially two firsts at the end of next year.
Why would it have cost us our first? I thought the pies took a second rounder for him?

Why would it have cost us our first? I thought the pies took a second rounder for him?
Our first ended up being pick 26 and we had very little else to offer.

WB coughed up pick 14 and a future second-round pick, in exchange for Treloar, picks No.26, No.33 and No.42 in return.

So there’s no getting around it, we would have to have given up a first for him in one way or another, if they had to give up 14 and a future 2nd, for Treloar and those picks (which would have been pushed back to 30+ by the time they rolled around).

Last edited:

Weren’t impressed with Clav? Would be shocked if the club dumped him, we have already invested a fair bit of time in him it wouldn’t make sense. He wasn’t bad for a debutant, showed some signs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weren’t impressed with Clav? Would be shocked if the club dumped him, we have already invested a fair bit of time in him it wouldn’t make sense. He wasn’t bad for a debutant, showed some signs.
I didn’t mind him but I just don’t get the feeling the club rates him. He may be given another year with so many others finishing up.

Robbo, Gears, Dunstan, Kent and no more Covid hit would free up a decent chunk of space. Depending on whether those contracts outside of Gears one were front-ended or not.
Robbo's would have definetly been front ended. Kent's likely too.

But not sure it will free up enough to be in the market for another 600k plus type player this year like we have the past few years. Probably need to look at some players on the outer at their club and get a few more bargain picks.

Robbo's would have definetly been front ended. Kent's likely too.

But not sure it will free up enough to be in the market for another 600k plus type player this year like we have the past few years. Probably need to look at some players on the outer at their club and get a few more bargain picks.

Also dependent on whether we have a few front ended contracts at the present.

One thing.
What is this story about some nepotism between Lethlean, Xavier and Hannebery?
Has this got legs or is it just some b/s BF urban myth?
Because the same nepotism gossip surrounded Lethlean and Brad Scott when we were looking for a Richo replacement.
And as far as I can see, Brad Scott is not our coach.

Hannas is the biggest single waste of money player in the history of this club.

Blight was the single biggest non player waste of money.
Adjusted for inflation, Billy Barrot was the single biggest waste of money player in the history of the club.
Him, plus the Brownlow Medal we didn’t win.

One thing.
Because the same nepotism gossip surrounded Lethlean and Brad Scott when we were looking for a Richo replacement.
Apparently SL and Hanna's dad are close mates, it was mentioned & questioned at the time on a few different footy shows

One thing.
Huge amount in this imo. The book 'The Boys' Club' by Michael Warner just came out and details how close the Xavier boys are.

Lethlean comes up a lot and it wouldn't surprise me if Hanners is on our books because of him almost entirely.

The part that keeps being left out is that we had to spend that money. We were lower than the threshold. It was probably worth the gamble. How else were we going to spend it? No one of note would come to us. I guarantee someone will have a go at my post, but forget again.....we had to spend that money.

Just don't understand this argument at all. You dont give a bloke with a banged up body and a known problem with the nose beers a 4 year contract just because you had to spend the money. FMD, surely u can just overpay a promising youngster for 1 year to leave room to have another crack at the next trade period.

This was the worst trade in the AFL in the last 10 years, easily. Let's stop making excuses and hold the club accountable ffs. The entire footy world was laughing at this trade at the time. Everybody could see how insane it was.

Sydney were desperate to offload his crap contract and remove Buddy's number 1 problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back