News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood faces a fight to keep football boss Graham Wright when he returns later this season​

Collingwood faces a fight to keep football boss Graham Wright when he returns from an extended break later this season.
Wright is expected to become one of the most sought-after people in football when the highly-respected football administrator returns from an overseas holiday.

While multiple clubs are expected to make a play for Wright, who helped steer Collingwood to the 2023 premiership after four flags at Hawthorn, the AFL has also met Wright recently.

Football boss Laura Kane spoke with Wright about his thoughts on the game and his plans upon his return in September.

The league has not offered Wright, 55, a job at this stage.

But the league is open to having another conversation about his future.

Wright would be a brilliant pick-up for the league considering his experience in list management and ability to oversee the operation of the mid-season trade period.

The AFL wants to introduce the mid-season trade period for next year.

But it is known Wright has also eyed a club CEO role and stepped up as Collingwood interim chief executive before Craig Kelly arrived.

Collingwood expects Wright to resume as Magpies’ football boss in September after rejecting his resignation offer.

Instead, the parties agreed for him to take an extended break.

Former assistant coach Brendon Bolton has stepped up into most of Wright’s duties while he is away, with Justin Leppitsch overlooking strategy and list management.

The Pies lost football operations boss Clare Pettyfor last month, when she was lured over to lead up media and communications at Melbourne.

Wright said in December when the arrangement was announced he would stay involved with the club during his time away and planned to return.

“We agreed that I will stay connected to the club in a consultancy role providing advice to the CEO and wider club during my time away with a plan to return to full-time work in September,” Wright said.

Meanwhile, Dan McStay could make a comeback to the senior side late this season.

McStay tore his anterior cruciate ligament in November, and continues to make good progress after running at Collingwood training on Wednesday.

McStay would provide a huge boost to the Magpies’ forward line.

The hardworking forward missed the club’s 2023 premiership triumph with a medial ligament injury.

Source: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/812282effb9c4a6e90177a30a10a8884

Author: Jay Clark

I don’t think Wright will go elsewhere.
He will either return or take a break.
Smartest move for the AFL would be to have him head the Tassie List.
Nah, send him to AFL with an MO to change a whole heap of rules to stich up the best teams at the time....then bring him back with knowledge of how tio handle it and also what's coming up in the next 3-4 years.
(sound familiar?)

Some examples i could get behind:
  • no club can have a player over 193cm playing as a fwd.
  • If the club is in the bottom 5 for AFL funding, as a reward, each player lose via trade will improve any draft picks received by up to 500% points (scaling down from 500 - 100 depending on where they finish on the list).
  • top 5 crowd attended clubs automatically get a priority R1 draft pick based on where they finished on the 'crowd ladder'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would seem disingenuous to overlook Hipwood’s contribution to that one too…
He very nearly won it back for them! If Q hadn't got a hand on his hip as he kicked that centre bounce clearance it was destined for the top of their goal square and God knows what may have happened.

Apparently it's now Fly's fault...

This is Gin’s last chance at being relevant. After our boys smash him on Sunday he will have a career of being an average player at an average club.

Apparently it's now Fly's fault...

So it’s Fly’s fault for something Ginni has done since his junior days? I remember Knightmare in his draft profile of Ginni was very vocal about him drawing high contact for free kicks and listed it as a strength.

Whoever Duffield is, he’s a moron.

So it’s Fly’s fault for something Ginni has done since his junior days? I remember Knightmare in his draft profile of Ginni was very vocal about him drawing high contact for free kicks and listed it as a strength.

Terrible take, isn't it? I'd like to ask this Duffield guy why no one stopped Selwood..as he is the player so many have modelled their technique on.

Perth media man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back