Review Cats down Blues by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Hawkins will always need an opposition minder. Always. YET, if they mind Hawkins, does Jezza get off the chain? If the opposition mind both do Stengle and Close plus others get off the chain?
Yep, someone who can mind him and run off him like Weitering did today. Tomahawk used to win one on ones, it's not the case recently. He has become easy to defend and easy to exploit because he is no longer mobile. Maybe Tomahawk is playing injured, if so he shouldn't be playing.

I get that in theory but at his career stage I reckon you go hard and cop what comes. Make a statement. If he happened to miss weeks, and to be honest I’m not sure he would have as I think he could have gotten to the ball without issue, then so be it. Was a pathetic effort.

AFL Centre Bounce.jpg

I posted about TV distorting distances a few years ago
Take note the centre circle appears as an ellipse on TV
The ratio is 4 : 1 Vertical to horizontal at the centre
Dempsey incident took part on the far forward flank
Being further away the distortion would be even greater
It is unclear Dempsey would have arrived first to the ball.

Not for the first time, match committee vindicated.
We're slow learners on this site. Back in our MC.
They mostly get it right.

It's sacrilege to even say this, and I still believe it's going to take another month of poor form to be a conversation.

However....

With Neale's performance at both levels, and Hawk's form the last few weeks....are we potentially reaching another Mooney/Hawkins situation ala 2011?

I hate saying it, and feel almost cruel doing so.

As much as I love Neale, Tomahawk is a legend of the club and has given us so much...but watching the game today it did cross my mind.

Knowing Hawk, he'll kick 5 this week and make us all look stupid for critiquing him, but I'd be lying if said I wasn't starting to get worried.

Feel much the same, not writing him off by any means, just think that the end can come bloody quick for someone his age, and three poor performances in a row is a worrying sign.

Hopefully you're right and he'll kick a bag next week.

Great win, just got to keep notches the wins and building towards finals.
Another injury to Danger is a concern, he was leading from the front until the injury. He might need to find a way to play his game slightly differently to try and stay injury free.

We can’t keep playing Stanley he needs to play vfl and be back up. Let Conway play as many games as we can, when he’s not able to play we’d be better off playing Neale than Stanley. It’s not his best position but he’ll still compete better than Stanley is.

Not sure who we’re to leave out but I’d love to see Rohan back he’ll add to our mix so well, rotated with Jezza forward and moving up the ground.

Should have Stewart back next week, big games coming up over the next few weeks.

I agree with all that except the neale rucking bit. We saw how that went with neale rucking vs marshall in a must win game last year and it was really ugly.
We have to tolerate stanley until conways tank is ready.

Stanley played a great game only three weeks ago against the Bulldogs and their All Australian ruckman.

Yes, he was poor but he’s always been up and down, and Pittonet played a blinder.

He wouldn’t want another game as bad as that, however, or his AFL career might be over quick smart.
At least he kind of stopped Pittonets influence 2nd half and got involved in general play. The thing that frustrates me most is when he goes up for the mark 🤣. Never holds it or even knocks it to advantage.
I wouldn't have the heart to drop the vets for the upcoming jnrs though tbh. Especially Danger and Hawk. And it was nice seeing Tuouy play well tonight, he looked unhindered.

At least he kind of stopped Pittonets influence 2nd half and got involved in general play. The thing that frustrates me most is when he goes up for the mark 🤣. Never holds it or even knocks it to advantage.
I wouldn't have the heart to drop the vets for the upcoming jnrs though tbh. Especially Danger and Hawk. And it was nice seeing Tuouy play well tonight, he looked unhindered.
Tuohy was fantastic today. His early goals really set the stage for the win.

Tuohy was fantastic today. His early goals really set the stage for the win.
Made me look stupid for doubting the MC for picking him…in fairness I thought he would be playing down the back

Astounding coaching along with Guthrie down back to ease him back in it

Purely anecdotal, but 'word around the pub' reckons his facial injuries were akin to trauma from a car accident. That sh*t has to have a sapping effect on confidence. Can he keep playing? Will he regain his confidence? It's a time thing. He needs senior time under his belt, because before his injury he WAS that good.
Thought SDK was absolutely fine today, under a lot of pressure. Couple of moments for sure, but we look at him as we would a 150 gamer. He’s played 50. No worries there for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This season feels more 2019 than 2022 to me. With this in mind it still feels different. Our transition is incredible compared to our ability to defend with the ball.

Puts us in an excellent position to be there on PF weekend. It's going to be a great year.

This season feels more 2019 than 2022 to me. With this in mind it still feels different. Our transition is incredible compared to our ability to defend with the ball.

Puts us in an excellent position to be there on PF weekend. It's going to be a great year.
That's fair enough.

It's important to remember though that at the equivalent stage of 2022, it certainly felt more like 2015 or 2018 than it did 2019.

I don't think there would have been a person alive predicting we'd finish on top and go down to the eventual premiers in a prelim at that point of 2022 (Like 2019), let alone roll off 16 straight to win the flag.

It can change quickly, and at the end of the day all that matters is how you play when the whips are cracking.

We've given ourselves a cushion now, and can manage the list for when it matters...which is something we completely ignored in seasons like 2019, resulting in a cooked list come finals.

Unlikely to happen but Mark Blicavs might need a rest. His form has really dropped off. Makes me think he is carrying an injury.

Duncan is such a composed decision maker and is still one of our most valuable players his set up work is underrated.

Dangerfield please stay healthy you set the tone again today and have done it many weeks a true leader.

Stanley can’t do anything better than Conway I think it’s time for him to step aside, 200 games and a premiership is well above what I or even he probably expected so hats off to him.

Atkins needs to play before MOC he is just a better player wether it’s in a defensive role or an attacking, the only way I see it viable is if he is put to tag a Bont/Cripps type that is a man mountain.

Duncan is such a composed decision maker and is still one of our most valuable players his set up work is underrated.

Dangerfield please stay healthy you set the tone again today and have done it many weeks a true leader.

Stanley can’t do anything better than Conway I think it’s time for him to step aside, 200 games and a premiership is well above what I or even he probably expected so hats off to him.

Atkins needs to play before MOC he is just a better player wether it’s in a defensive role or an attacking, the only way I see it viable is if he is put to tag a Bont/Cripps type that is a man mountain.
Strongly agreed with all you've written.

Honestly puzzled me re: Atkins sub today.

Strongly contrasting styles on display.

Carlton play like a giant sledgehammer. They just try to push through with brute force.
Dominate the middle and hope their forwards can kick a winning score.

Whereas we are like a swiss army knife.
Nowhere near as fearsome but with so many gadgets and tools up its sleeve. There's something for every scenario.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back