Review Cats down Blues by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems like the club is tripling down on upping the support around clearances with the assumption we'll lose hit outs. Am I reading things wrong?

Would this be a stopgap until the reins can be handed over from Stanley to Conway? Or do folks have some different reads on what the clubs likely trajectory is with regard to stoppages?

Either way, it's lucky we have some upcoming jets around the ball who can compete. Tanner Bruhn will be our best midfielder some day. His composure at the coalface is excellent.
Id rather lose the Ruck occasionally than just grind Conway into the ground when his body isn't up to week on week senior footy, club is doing the right thing.

Carlton were very good, so it’s a pleasing victory. All game, we kicked the goal/s when it was needed, which is what you have to do to be in front at the end. The best teams take their chances and we did. Work to be done but putting ourselves in a solid place. Carlton will be happy enough too, players to come back etc, but they won’t beat us this year. Go cats- always enjoyable on a Sunday after a good win.

Last edited:
IMO asking a player to do more then they are capable of can set back their development. Stanley can take the hit to his ego. Conway v Port at Geelong is a much better match up.

Agreed.

Love how Blues fans are losing their minds over this. McKay is in the 10m protected zone with no direct opponent near him (they're actually on the other side and running towards the middle of the ground) and doesn't make an attempt to leave the area. That's a 50m penalty every day of the week.

Love how Blues fans are losing their minds over this. McKay is in the 10m protected zone with no direct opponent near him (they're actually on the other side and running towards the middle of the ground) and doesn't make an attempt to leave the area. That's a 50m penalty every day of the week.

I would say 95% of all supporters don't know the rules hell most commentators don't know them either

Yep last week we hadn’t played anyone, we’ll know more next week 🙄, now, just heard Riewoldt say we won’t be winning many more games giving up clearances like that for the rest of the year. I’m sure there’s a positive in there somewhere 🤷‍♂️

1-1-5 for winning clearances this year

7-0-0 for winning games

Scoreboard motherf***er

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about centre clearances?
Q1
Cats 0
Carlton 6 (Pittonet 2, Walsh 2, Cripps 1, TDK 1)

Q2
Cats 4 (Bowes 1, Bruhn 1, Miers 1 from 0 CBA, Stanley 1)
Carlton 4 (Kennedy 2, Cripps 1, Newman 1)

Q3
Cats 4 (Danger 2, Dempsey 1 from 0 CBA, Holmes 1)
Carlton 4 (Pittonet 3, Walsh 1)

Q4
Cats 5 (Bruhn 3, Blicavs 1, Parfitt 1)
Carlton 2 (Pittonet 2)

Cats centre bounce attendance (from a total of 37 bounces)

Stanley 32
Parfitt 23
Bruhn 22
Danger 14
Bowes 13
O'Connor 13
Atkins 12
Blicavs 12
Guthrie 4
Holmes 2
Duncan 1

Anyone know what happened with Zac Williams v I think Mitch Duncan in the 3rd qtr that led to a Henry goal.
Was he felled or tripped?
He took several steps to the side to run into our player and then flopped to the ground acting like he'd been shot when he forced the contact. It was one of the most cringe things I have ever seen an oppo player do.

Were Bowes/Parfitt tagging or playing specific roles at times?
Bowes just 14 touches 10 tackles, Parfitt 3 touches in the first half then 14 in the 2nd, just 1 tackle - I didn't notice either all that much except Bowes' goal and Parfitt's improved involvement (and failed tackles) in the 2nd half.

Watching live at the ground today I left thinking he was far too good for whoever it was in the Blues lineup but the frequency with which he came to the bench increased in the 2nd half, and did spend 5-10 minutes in the 3rd Q getting physio work on his hip flexor.

First half he was running on top of the ground, long sprints from central positions to the goal line as blues players took set shots. Then running back through the ground in open play.

2nd half and that became less frequent and his bench spells showed red rosy cheeks. He was blowing hard.
With an interchange cap, I actually think Stanley should ruck v Gawn this next game. Conway still doesn't quite have the tank.
Stanley was slaughtered by Pittonet from the first bounce. If he was injured he shouldn’t have been playing because there’s a readymade replacement.

I may be wrong but I seem to recall Pittonet did the same to him when he was at Hawthorn.

Q1
Cats 0

Q2

Q3

Q4
Carlton 2 (Pittonet 2)

Stanley 32
Parfitt 23
Bruhn 22
Danger 14
Bowes 13
O'Connor 13
Atkins 12
Blicavs 12
Guthrie 4
Holmes 2
Duncan 1
Apart from the first quarter clearances were fairly even apart from Carltons being a higher quality

Q1
Cats 0

Q2

Q3

Q4
Carlton 2 (Pittonet 2)

Stanley 32
Parfitt 23
Bruhn 22
Danger 14
Bowes 13
O'Connor 13
Atkins 12
Blicavs 12
Guthrie 4
Holmes 2
Duncan 1
At the ground they showed a stat 2-10 centre clearances going Carlton's way at some point in the 2nd quarter. Which means we went 11-6 after that point.

Not that I'm asking anyone to do this but it would be interesting to map CB attendances of both sides (mids and ruckmen) by outcome (how the clearance were won, where did the clearance go, who retained the ball and how did they retain it) Carlton most certainly rotated much fewer numbers through the CBs

Still felt that they were stronger than us at the contest throughout the game, could just be the horn effect in action.

I agree with all that except the neale rucking bit. We saw how that went with neale rucking vs marshall in a must win game last year and it was really ugly.
We have to tolerate stanley until conways tank is ready.
Yes Neale wasn’t up to it last year as a ruck but he’s improved a lot since then.
His contested marking is much better, he’s covering the ground really well and his a lot stronger.

It might not work but it’s worth having another look with the form Stanley is in. I just can’t see how it would be any worse for the team than what Stanley is currently putting out there.
Plus it gives some exposure to Neale and possibly Stanley can go to the vfl and get some confidence in his game.
I’ve never been a big fan of Stanley but in 22 he was able to minimise his mistakes and play a specific in game role he executed well. It required a lot of support from Blicavs but it worked well for the team.

Of the options we have we can’t go into finals with this version of Stanley, we need to use the time before then to find what’s going to work for us.

View attachment 1973061

I posted about TV distorting distances a few years ago
Take note the centre circle appears as an ellipse on TV
The ratio is 4 : 1 Vertical to horizontal at the centre
Dempsey incident took part on the far forward flank
Being further away the distortion would be even greater
It is unclear Dempsey would have arrived first to the ball.
I was at the game and it happened in front of me. Dempsey could have attacked the contest harder. He may or may not have made it, but to me he backed off.

Not a capital crime. He’ll learn from this.

It's sacrilege to even say this, and I still believe it's going to take another month of poor form to be a conversation.

However....

With Neale's performance at both levels, and Hawk's form the last few weeks....are we potentially reaching another Mooney/Hawkins situation ala 2011?

I hate saying it, and feel almost cruel doing so.

As much as I love Neale, Tomahawk is a legend of the club and has given us so much...but watching the game today it did cross my mind.

Knowing Hawk, he'll kick 5 this week and make us all look stupid for critiquing him, but I'd be lying if said I wasn't starting to get worried.

3 games without a goal, yeah?

Most concerning for me is that he hasn't even looked like it.

Q1
Cats 0

Q2

Q3

Q4
Carlton 2 (Pittonet 2)

Stanley 32
Parfitt 23
Bruhn 22
Danger 14
Bowes 13
O'Connor 13
Atkins 12
Blicavs 12
Guthrie 4
Holmes 2
Duncan 1

Further proof for the Stanley apologists that he in fact did not “fight his way back” into the contest.

Nah I've gotta agree with them to be honest. No way that's fifty. He wasn't in the protected zone and was actually moving further away from it when the whistle was blown.

Still, opposition outrage is always entertaining.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back