Review Cats down Blues by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkins has dropped off considerably this year. He's still useful rucking in the forward line and he is a great set shot. However, recently he has had games where he was like a fish out of water. Goal kicking is irrelevant if you are never near the ball. He has looked very frustrated with himself this year. Today was not one of those games but he certainly didn't trouble the scoreboard. I think we will see Shannon Neale getting more games.

He's still taking a quality defender though, which allows others to shine. If we were without Hawkins today for example, Weitering would've gone to Cameron and possibly blanketed him.

Like others have said, we only looked for Hawkins deep forward 4 times today, yet we still kicked 18 goals.

He's still taking a quality defender though, which allows others to shine. If we were without Hawkins today for example, Weitering would've gone to Cameron and possibly blanketed him.

Like others have said, we only looked for Hawkins deep forward 4 times today, yet we still kicked 18 goals.
Too right! Tommy held means Jezza gets off the chain. Jezza AND Hawkins quiet the week before means our 'mosquito fleet' of small forwards ran amok. Can every opposition team have every possible contingency against us?

Stanley will 99% get smashed by Gawn.
Conway will 91% get smashed by Gawn.

Pick your poison.
Cats don't have to beat Gawn
Instead plan to negate his influence.
Don't wrestle... take his run
Spoil his hitouts from behind
Stand near defensive side of all mids
Start wing at CHB defensive position
Play Conway for learning lesson
Conway run forward as marking option

Last edited:

Cameron Ling took it to an extreme. He was gushing about opposition teams and the first to suggest a Geelong player might be in trouble for a dangerous tackle. It was reverse bias in the extreme. There were so many complaints that he no longer comments on games.
Really? Channel 7 sacked him because of complaints by Geelong fans? Hard to believe!

Anyway, you can still hear him in ABC radio. A great man.

Wietering has had Hawk's number on the last few ocassion's and it seemed pretty clear part of gameplan was for Hawk to try and keep him away from the contest and limit his influence.
Did it work? Probably not but it a selfless role from Hawk.
Hawk did have an influence at boundary throw in's though.

When i have heard Ling on radio he is usually very good but on tv was horrendous
Could say this across the board. Radio commentary is leagues better because they have to describe whats happening which leaves less empty spaces for stupid comments. Even BT and JB on MMM are miles better than on 7.

Honestly think the TV broadcasts are over produced which leads to a substandard product.

Gerard Whateley has had a massive boner for Carlton all year. Cats getting ignored.

Reminds me of Eng and Aus in cricket. One has moral victories, excuses, and a lot of huff in the media. The other quietly gets results.
Not sure about his calling bias, but I seem to recall that Gerard is a Cats supporter.

I understand the point which is valid. However I think Jez tows him around like a caravan and is the sole reason we win the game if that happens. Weitering is there as much for structure as he is for the matchup in my opinion.

He's got nowhere near the tank or pace to keep up with Cameron

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gerard Whateley has had a massive boner for Carlton all year. Cats getting ignored.

Reminds me of Eng and Aus in cricket. One has moral victories, excuses, and a lot of huff in the media. The other quietly gets results.
Whateley is a mad, Anthony Hudson-level Cats tragic.

So why not replace Hawkins with a forward who they might want to kick too. Recently the best part of Tomahawk's game has been his forward ruckwork. However he is in the team to kick goals, not just to be a decoy. 3 very poor games in a row. We have been winning games despite his poor form. While we are winning we can afford to carry him. At some stage he will need to start contributing or it sets a bad precedent for younger players.

I understand the point which is valid. However I think Jez tows him around like a caravan and is the sole reason we win the game if that happens. Weitering is there as much for structure as he is for the matchup in my opinion.

He's got nowhere near the tank or pace to keep up with Cameron
Neale vs Weitering in a running race 😍

I think people should cut Dempsey a little slack.....

At quarter time he was close to BOG.....

He's young and still raw but the potential is clear to see. He is going to be a fine player for us over a long period.

Stanley got balted by a second string ruck. It's not really much of a risk. I'd back him in.

Parfitt particularly disappointing. With him finally getting regular games you'd hope he'd have shown a lot more vigor.

To me stanley is the defensive option. He wont beat gawn but he should do ok. Whereas conway could have an out of the box game and really beat gawn or he could get annilhated. In particular if conway tires after half time (which is likely given his tank) gawn could take over and win them the game. I think our forward line beats theirs but i worry about their mids so i would go the defensive option as i think a kid vs gawn is more risky. But i can see your argument.

Parfitt i thought tried hard vigour wise but he was back to blind turns into trouble and not as much first option and moving the ball to running teammates that hes been so good at the last month. I think atkins gives us much more direct run out of stoppages plus he has a second position (hbf) that parfitt doesnt have so i prefer him if its a 50-50 call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back