Review Cats down Blues by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong impressively sucked the umpires into favouring Carlton 14-10 but still managed to get the ones that counted leading to a 30+ point margin with seven minutes to play.

Outstanding cunning corruption.

Footy fan: The umpires should just put the whistle away

Umpires put whistle away

Footy fan: We should have got a free kick here, here and here

This has been hugely misrepresented. He didn’t pull out. The Blues player was going to get to the ball first so Dempsey slowed down to avoid giving away a free kick.
It looked like Dempsey was there first or at worst the same time, but he chose to decelerate snd be the tackler instead of the playmaker. It was not a good look. If he were thinking straight he would have pushed the ball sideways and the Carlton player would have run straight passed the ball. Stengle would have done that and run around to pick up the ball and kick a goal. Dempsey still has some tricks to learn.

That one aside I thought kolo was really good most of the night. Got a hand to a lot of entries and nullified Curnow aerially in a lot of contests.
Yep. Was in my votes.

Yes, I agree with that. The old rule used to be that if it wasn't in your city, you could watch it on FTA. That was a fair deal IMO.
The old rule was you’d get highlights on a Saturday evening, 45 mins of one game, generally the usual suspects, 20 of another and 10 for one which was often us. Swans and reserves every other Sunday. People who complain about the current rights are either tight arses or don’t know they’re alive.

Tom Atkins equal 2nd most tackles for Geelong 29% Game time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because we've been good for 20 years. No one wants to hear it
Cameron Ling took it to an extreme. He was gushing about opposition teams and the first to suggest a Geelong player might be in trouble for a dangerous tackle. It was reverse bias in the extreme. There were so many complaints that he no longer comments on games.

Cameron Ling took it to an extreme. He was gushing about opposition teams and the first to suggest a Geelong player might be in trouble for a dangerous tackle. It was reverse bias in the extreme. There were so many complaints that he no longer comments on games.
When i have heard Ling on radio he is usually very good but on tv was horrendous

Geelong impressively sucked the umpires into favouring Carlton 14-10 but still managed to get the ones that counted leading to a 30+ point margin with seven minutes to play.

Outstanding cunning corruption.

See that is the ingenious part about it, they're successfully laundered their favouritism. Once the result was beyond doubt they handed Carlton a bunch of worthless free kicks that don't counteract the numerous goals gifted to Geelong.

Hawkins has dropped off considerably this year. He's still useful rucking in the forward line and he is a great set shot. However, recently he has had games where he was like a fish out of water. Goal kicking is irrelevant if you are never near the ball. He has looked very frustrated with himself this year. Today was not one of those games but he certainly didn't trouble the scoreboard. I think we will see Shannon Neale getting more games.
He kicked 4 two weeks in a row like 2 rounds ago. Had some important involvements in the wet against Brisbane.

The tackle when Kolo had the player wrapped up, and he ended up eventually getting the ball to boot for the goal pissed me off.

The AFL don't want players wrapped up like that taken to ground... but they need to blow the whistle faster for a ball up.

I was dirty Kolo didn't take him down, but I understand why he didn't. It cost us a goal because the umps were super slow on the whistle tonight... sooo slow when Carlton had the ball.
It was a big-bear of mine today, tackles that were semi-effective but the lack of pinning the arm or trapping the ball (thus stopping a late kick) cost us a few goals. We will need to land more of those come finals time. It's probably a 6 goal margin today if we fixed that one issue.

That was a great game of footy. Carlton's inside game versus Geelong's outside game. Guess what? The team that scores the most from defensive turnover/transition tends to win AFL footy. Another game beautifully coached by Chris Scott. A great team performace. I wonder if all those nuffy's in the media think The Cats are the real deal now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back