Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 64 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tim Kelly's influence on Geelong was profound. He improved Geelong, not the other way around. Kelly has been impressive at WC through the lean years and is finally getting some help from Harley Reid. You could make the case that WC with A grader Kelly and future A grader Reid have a better midfield than Geelong.
Exactly the point I’m making, he was the kind of silky midfielder we lacked and still lack. Our midfield was infinitely better with him in there & when he was there he was balanced out with a prime Danger, Selwood, Guthrie, even Parfitt slotted in better in that midfield.
At West Coast with the injuries they’ve had, he’s been forced to play a different way and still been good but ‘seen’ as a disappointment.
Agree, if Reid can keep it up this year, with him Ginbey and Yeo. That’s a pretty formidable midfield

Yeah it's pretty shocking that probably our most consistent midfielder is a bloke rated so poorly externally the Suns had to give us pick 8 to take him
None of that really matters though, does it? They were overpaying him and had bundles more talent coming in from their revolving door of top picks etc. Miller, Rowell, Anderson, Flanders would be one of the most difficult midfields to break into in the AFL.

We are seriously becoming cucks with this constant drooling over opposition midfields. Worrying about how we can get the best out of our own players and gameplan should be the focus. Or we can just start counting opposition midfield disposals in non-Geelong games like last weekend, I guess.

A week of Bruhn, Holmes, Bowes, Parfitt, Mullin and Atkins in midfield is what I'd like to see. Away from the NT conditions. I'm not dead against Hardie coming in for Clark or Guthrie. Back in your youngster or veteran, make your choice. We can't carry both.

And Blicavs should only be a two way running wingman who chops out in the ruck. His midfield days are over unless he has a massive form reversion.

Please dont link Holmes with that group

Holmes has got a V6 Motor , the others are like 2 stroke engines and at this point they are so far inferior to him

In 2 years time i think he will be captain of Geel , simply because he will be our best player

He is athletically gifted , the others aernt

Please dont link Holmes with that group

Holmes has got a V6 Motor , the others are like 2 stroke engines and at this point they are so far inferior to him

In 2 years time i think he will be captain of Geel , simply because he will be our best player

He is athletically gifted , the others aernt
Okay sure, so now you want me to name a one person midfield. Let me try again:

"I'd like to see a midfield of Holmes this week. Only Holmes. I don't even want a ruck in there. I just want Holmes."

Do you think before you post?

None of that really matters though, does it? They were overpaying him and had bundles more talent coming in from their revolving door of top picks etc. Miller, Rowell, Anderson, Flanders would be one of the most difficult midfields to break into in the AFL.

We are seriously becoming cucks with this constant drooling over opposition midfields. Worrying about how we can get the best out of our own players and gameplan should be the focus. Or we can just start counting opposition midfield disposals in non-Geelong games like last weekend, I guess.
F**k premierships. Disposal count is where it's at 😎.

We should change the motto of the club, just so everyone knows we've got our priorities straight.

Okay sure, so now you want me to name a one person midfield. Let me try again:

"I'd like to see a midfield of Holmes this week. Only Holmes. I don't even want a ruck in there. I just want Holmes."

Do you think before you post?
"Holmes sharks the tap, and gives the handball to a running Holmes on his outside.

Under pressure, Holmes brings the ball inboard to Holmes, who marks on the 50 metre arc.

Holmes sees Holmes charging out of the goalsquare and hits him lace out. Holmes restores the faith and bangs through the goal, with the goal assist also going to Holmes."

I take it you are happy with the current midfield?
No...but do I see a reason to whinge about it literally every day in here? Also no.

It's the middle of May. We can't fix it right now, so we work with what we have and see what we can do to amend the issues come the end of the season.

Wishing it was different, or berating the players we have now doesn't fix anything.

You accept reality, and find a way to change it when the time comes and the opportunity presents itself.

Throwing the toys out of the pram and creating personal vendettas with the players doesn't help anybody, and is immensely childish behaviour.

Apart from Holmes - the list that Mr Meow put up - they could all go and play in the Bendigo League for all i care and they wouldnt be out of place
So what do you propose we do this week and until the end of the season?

And just to be clear, come end of season you would be delisting: Bruhn, Bowes, Mullin, Parfitt and Atkins? Every single one of them. Along with possible retirements of Blicavs, Dangerfield and Cam Guthrie.

So next year your midfield would actually be Holmes, Clark and....who? 5 incoming superstar acquisitions? Are you in dream land or what?

So what do you propose we do this week and until the end of the season?

As others have said , id like to see Mitch Hardie given a game - for goodness sake give the guy a game - and Mannagh looked a real player in his only game and then got dropped

Until players are given a chance - ive posted this a couple of times - Jason Ball playing for Swan Districts as a young bloke , Malthouse pig headed like Scott wouldnt pick him , they then got a stack of injuries so they were forced to pick - 1st thing MM said after the game was Jason Ball surprised me with his ability

Not being nasty , Parfitt is a very limited player and Bruhn was shocking against The Suns - those 2 can get dropped and Hardie and Mannagh come in

As others have said , id like to see Mitch Hardie given a game - for goodness sake give the guy a game - and Mannagh looked a real player in his only game and then got dropped

Until players are given a chance - ive posted this a couple of times - Jason Ball playing for Swan Districts as a young bloke , Malthouse pig headed like Scott wouldnt pick him , they then got a stack of injuries so they were forced to pick - 1st thing MM said after the game was Jason Ball surprised me with his ability

Not being nasty , Parfitt is a very limited player and Bruhn was shocking against The Suns - those 2 can get dropped and Hardie and Mannagh come in
Okay fair enough, this is the sort of post I wish you started with and what I was trying to get out of you: solutions.

You want Hardie and Mannagh to get a crack. I'm not against that at all. I don't think we can drop every player you just wrote off though. We don't need both Parfitt and Atkins, so I'd start there - one dropped, and one with a stay of execution (i.e needs to lift). And Cam needs to build confidence in the VFL if his last 3 weeks are all we can expect for the next 3. So there's your two omissions for Hardie and Mannagh, which I don't think the club will do but I would be fairly pleased if they did.

Bruhn despite his shocker on the weekend had been building. The shoulder injury against Melbourne came at a bad time. Bowes hasn't put it all together but he has more to give us and his best games for Geelong have been good. Worth persisting with. Mullin is raw as anything but can't you see he has some X factor and talent? It might take him a couple of years but he actually does have that Holmes "jet potential". We are stuffed if we just give up on Bruhn, Bowes and Mullin at this point and might as well start looking to 2025.

We have been beaten by different game styles the last 3 weeks.

This is a bad indication.

Older players are on the decline because of injury and age. Younger players are unknown at this stage.

Concerning situation.
There were some common denominators.
Cats went from Hunters to being Hunted
Teams had better quality midfield clearances
Teams had better quality F50 Entries.
Teams had strong interceptors across F50.
Cats lacked a tall power fwd to contest.
Teams rebounded into attack quickly.
Teams moved ball easily into their F50
Game played exclusively in Cats back half.
Cats struggled to rebound through set defense.
Long ball delivery to Hawkins 50/50 at best.

When Cats were winning the Kittens stared.
Multiple goal scoring opportunities created.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think some of the posters are really underestimating how big some of the adult players are compared to the 18-19 year old kids …it’s a big gap that they may not actually be able to bridge untill they have some size both in confidence and skill

FWIW I’ve seen Clark tackle down some players that are much bigger than him so I don’t think his attitude should be questioned
Just look at the transformation of Zuthrie in a couple of years! I like Clark, who 19 is already larger than dear Zuthrie at that age. Imagine how confronting it is for a 19yo to play with legends of the game in front of huge crowds - same for other kittens.

So yes, these kittens are tackling older, larger guys, some of whom are also game legends.

Too many supporters are expecting every single player, we recruit, to be Selwoods, Dangerfields, Farmers, GASs, GAJs.

Too many high hopes for a premiership this year. I'll be absolutely delighted to go into Finals as deeply as we can to give our young players experience + add to their development + depth. IF we make the GF, even win it, that is 10 million cherries on the cake.

View attachment 1995614

Found this very interesting
Watching from the couch I could’ve sworn Blicavs had one of his quieter games as I seem him sitting a FF fairly often

This is a prime example of how games are portrayed through a screen rather than seeing the game live.
My Boy Miers + Blitz
Down With Love Omg GIF

No...but do I see a reason to whinge about it literally every day in here? Also no.

It's the middle of May. We can't fix it right now, so we work with what we have and see what we can do to amend the issues come the end of the season.

Wishing it was different, or berating the players we have now doesn't fix anything.

You accept reality, and find a way to change it when the time comes and the opportunity presents itself.

Throwing the toys out of the pram and creating personal vendettas with the players doesn't help anybody, and is immensely childish behaviour.

happy birthday meryl GIF

Your response expresses my thoughts more clearly
Just look at the transformation of Zuthrie in a couple of years! I like Clark, who 19 is already larger than dear Zuthrie at that age. Imagine how confronting it is for a 19yo to play with legends of the game in front of huge crowds - same for other kittens.

So yes, these kittens are tackling older, larger guys, some of whom are also game legends.

Too many supporters are expecting every single player, we recruit, to be Selwoods, Dangerfields, Farmers, GASs, GAJs.

Too many high hopes for a premiership this year. I'll be absolutely delighted to go into Finals as deeply as we can to give our young players experience + add to their development + depth. IF we make the GF, even win it, that is 10 million cherries on the cake.

Kind of cuts both ways though. We cook the old blokes they'll fall apart.

I do think they'll slow down on resting in the back half of the season though

I am fine with some managing and such, but it seemed like over the past month and a bit it was just so constant. Maybe I'm overreacting or just wanting to find a reason why we have absolutely turned to shit haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back