Review Cats down Blues by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

He kicked 4 two weeks in a row like 2 rounds ago. Had some important involvements in the wet against Brisbane.
He will come good he has always looked sluggish at times ..if he still having little impact in the second half of the year that’s where the worry will come into it

He pulled out of a contest on our half forward line in the last which wasnt a good look.
It looked bad but I genuinely think he was making a judgement call rather than shirking it. I understand it looked like a shirk. But to me it seemed he weighed it up and thought letting the opposition get it then trapping them, was a higher probability play than kamikaze diving into a collision where the ball could spill free or he got pinned.

But coaching wise they will provide feedback. It's not something I'm worried about with him going forward.

Have to love watching a game where the commentators are riding hard for the opposition for three and a half quarters, and then when it looked likely we were going to win, decided to talk us up a bit to make it sound like they weren't unbiased.

This is the School of Robert Walls. Ride your favourites to the death then jump on the winners train in the last five.They would say we're just talking up the underdogs to make it exciting. The OT screaming barracking and umpiring bias compared to the disappointed tones for us tells another story- because very little praise for Geelong is evident in the game breakdown, rather talk about whoever we played
Buckley on air this week saying we are pretenders, needs to get on the right horse instead of looking like it's arse.

7-0 gives us a great chance to mix it up a bit. I’d be saving Hawk for the KP games vs Poort and GWS. Neale a run at the G and up in Darwin. Give Conway a test against Gawn with Neale to offer a chop out. Rest Dempsey for Rohan. Atkins for Bruhn. Hardie for Danger. Stewart comes in. Tuohy to Sub. Parfitt and Bowes to make amends. Our list management just looks better and better with so many pushing up, Knevitt can’t be far off either.

I am actually shocked we only lost clearances by 6

38-44
centre 13-16
stoppage 25-28

I would love a break down of clearances 1/4 by 1/4
We lost the first 7 clearances and then won them the rest of the game by 1. Compared to other weeks I'd say we have away more "easy" clearances though, the types of which that put the defence under the pump. But it was probably overstated just how influential Carlton clearances were after quarter time.

It looked like Dempsey was there first or at worst the same time, but he chose to decelerate snd be the tackler instead of the playmaker. It was not a good look. If he were thinking straight he would have pushed the ball sideways and the Carlton player would have run straight passed the ball. Stengle would have done that and run around to pick up the ball and kick a goal. Dempsey still has some tricks to learn.
It was hesitation not based on fear of contact, but on trapping the ball. "You can have it but you aren't escaping". Maybe he misread the situation. But I am absolutely not taking that as Dempsey deciding he didn't want to be hurt. It'll be fixed up with some coaching feedback.

It looked like Dempsey was there first or at worst the same time, but he chose to decelerate snd be the tackler instead of the playmaker. It was not a good look. If he were thinking straight he would have pushed the ball sideways and the Carlton player would have run straight passed the ball. Stengle would have done that and run around to pick up the ball and kick a goal. Dempsey still has some tricks to learn.
I think that was a trick of camera angles. The camera was following Dempsey out of the cats forward line because that's where it came from. Still needed to be harder at it

We lost the first 7 clearances and then won them the rest of the game by 1. Compared to other weeks I'd say we have away more "easy" clearances though, the types of which that put the defence under the pump. But it was probably overstated just how influential Carlton clearances were after quarter time.
Pretty much the opposite to the rest of our season in which our clearances were better than the opposition

This has been hugely misrepresented. He didn’t pull out. The Blues player was going to get to the ball first so Dempsey slowed down to avoid giving away a free kick.
Agree. That is the way the AFL want players to play now. If you aren’t going to get there first you owe duty of care. So I have no issue with the contest bit - however he would have been embarrassed by being ragdolled a bit by the push off. If he had of stuck the tackle it would have been lauded as a smart play

Dempsey may need a rest. Could potentially bring Neale in for him though Rohan may be a better fit.
He will get a rest for sure over the next few weeks. When not sure. But there are plenty of deserving players waiting to get a shot.

I suspect they bring in Rohan for a few weeks and cycle through a rest for each forward.

Having said that Dempsey played mostly wing today so maybe he is part of the midflied rest rotation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weird, I thought Dempsey had a great game but turns out he only touched it 13 times. Must've been early on but felt like he was involved in everything.
Dominant first qtr and pretty good third - and couldn’t get near it in the 2nd and 4th.

I suspect he is a while away from being to put a full game together. But in those quarters where he shows something it is pretty special. And in the other qtrs he still does the gut running stuff (Cat’s best for distance at high speed)

Just finished watching the game, and by God, David King is a flog of a commentator.
Been blowing smoke up Carlton's arse all year and conversely been writing Geelong off for the best part of 15 years and his commentary followed that same theme.
The guy commentates to an agenda, and it's all about I told you so, which is a bit rich coming from someone who is so often wrong.
He can take his champion data trash and jam it where the sun don't shine.
Rant over.

When i have heard Ling on radio he is usually very good but on tv was horrendous
I think the TV producers/directors would have a huge influence on what the commentators say.

"Talk up the Pies and Tigers, if we make their fans feel good that translates into lots more potential eyes for our advertisers."

"Geelong bores everyone whose not a fan, try to talk them down."

Etc.

Early on it was't clear how Cats kept winning
No great performances from the superstars
Youngsters contributing above expectations
The wins were scrappy and not convincing.
Sometimes due to poor opposition teams.
Sometimes solely due to accurate kicking.
Sometimes due to great defensive team effort.
Today the Cats are out of the bag.
Cats electrifying rebound game is obvious.
Threat of scoring from any turnover is clear.
Ability to kick multiple goals quickly, glaring
A variety of dangerous forwards, conspicuous
Oppositions teams will be worried sleepless.
Coaches will be planning to prevent it.
Chris + assistant coaches need to be proactive
Centre stoppages need a defensive focus
Stop center breakaways for 2nd bounce pack.
Cats still need a tall pack marking KPF
Nothing better to demoralize a set defense.
Also there is never too much speed
Question is, how to include Rohan and Neale?
Danger injury opens up one position.

Speaking of Danger
I was thrilled when he was playing forward.
Yes: He added enormous drive to stoppages.
But when he went up a gear to lift the team.
Held my breath... especially gathering ground ball
Thought coaches realize repeated hammy = scar tissue.
Likelihood of repeat hammy under full strain = 100%
Need Danger on the field, even if in cotton wool.

He kicked 4 two weeks in a row like 2 rounds ago. Had some important involvements in the wet against Brisbane.

They were in rounds three and four, today was his third game in a row where he's been goalless, worrying signs, especially for a bloke his age.

Anyway, on a brighter note, think I'm now pretty much convinced that we're a decent show this year. Even though we were sitting on top of the ladder going into todays game I was far from convinced, thought our form had been patchy, and the teams we'd beaten had won just nine games between them.

Todays win against quality opposition was excellent, especially given we went in without Stewart and lost Dangerfield, who I thought was our best player in the first half.

Just finished watching the game, and by God, David King is a flog of a commentator.
Been blowing smoke up Carlton's arse all year and conversely been writing Geelong off for the best part of 15 years and his commentary followed that same theme.
The guy commentates to an agenda, and it's all about I told you so, which is a bit rich coming from someone who is so often wrong.
He can take his champion data trash and jam it where the sun don't shine.
Rant over.
Don’t stop tell us how you really feel !!

When i have heard Ling on radio he is usually very good but on tv was horrendous

Maybe it is the visuals in being seen. In 2022 a hero emerged who presented all the Geelong finals games with full radio commentaries (sorry for not remembering the name!).

In the MMM stream covering Collingwood vs Geelong BT, who you'd think was an absolute tool in the commentary between those two teams, was actually really good. Calling for the telly, he's FAR MORE TOOLISH.

Gotta be something scientific to explain that!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back