List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Barrass has an absolutely f***ed back. Like one bad fall and career could be done levels of f***ed.

If WC can swindle the dogs out of a 1st rounder for him they would take it and run.

People jumping at shadows about LDU.
No shadows at all, our club isn't ballsy, I put up a suggestion based off the wider BF views on our young midfield.
They all can't play in the same side, so what do we do about that is my point.

And again if Phillips doesn't get game time he's out without a doubt. And the value of a footballer who can't get a game in a side that is sitting 0/5 is probably close to zero, zip & zilch. We got Stephens from Sydney for our pick 19(2024) & pick 44 (2023). They then gave us pick 25 (2023) draft.
So a six pick up grade & a fourth bloody rounder. Sydney used pick 5 Nat draft on Stephens originally. Doesn't matter that Stephens is s**t, not the point.

And as some of said, we'll get great compo next year if LDU decided he's had enough. Well that imo isn't a brilliant strategy, using being inept to get you quality draft picks.
Also al clarko has stated we need another 30-40 games into our youngsters. Well that is roughly rd 14 next season. And if we think winning 3 games in 2025 is acceptable, crikey.

I'd expect us to win 8/9 games next year at a minimum and we could finish around 13th-10th. That is starting to take the shine of any compo we'd get for Luke.

In saying all that I'm fine if he stays, fine if he leaves. But peeps better not get all blardy Rawling when Phillips walks for next to nothing :)
I can though, cause it is obvious how this will play out.

Right now Luke is contracted and we hold all the aces.

THis is business, nothing more, nothing less. It isn't personal.

Sorry Accurate, u know I agree & am on your side on most things …
But seriously? Lazzaro & Finbar for new contracts?
If Lazzaro is still on our list at seasons end we are doing something wrong with development . The boy tries hard but is just embarrassing .
Finbar ? Back yard suburban local footballer? He just does not look AFL standard. Especially body wise.
You saw what happened to Sellers last week & we all thought he was actually ready .
Yes to contracts for both, as ive said before id be looking to transition Laz to a back pocket. Playing a Noble type role but Laz has a higher ceiling imo.
While Maley no doubt needs work his hands were exceptional in the game i saw of him. He needs time to get the body right.

No shadows at all, our club isn't ballsy, I put up a suggestion based off the wider BF views on our young midfield.

And again if Phillips doesn't get game time he's out without a doubt. And the value of a footballer who can't get a game in a side that is sitting 0/5 is probably close to zero, zip & zilch. We got Stephens from Sydney for our pick 19(2024) & pick 44 (2023). They then gave us pick 25 (2023) draft.
So a six pick up grade & a fourth bloody rounder. Sydney used pick 5 Nat draft on Stephens originally. Doesn't matter that Stephens is s**t, not the point.

And as some of said, we'll get great compo next year if LDU decided he's had enough. Well that imo isn't a brilliant strategy, using being inept to get you quality draft picks.
Also al clarko has stated we need another 30-40 games into our youngsters. Well that is roughly rd 14 next season. And if we think winning 3 games in 2025 is acceptable, crikey.

I'd expect us to win 8/9 games next year at a minimum and we could finish around 13th-10th. That is starting to take the shine of any compo we'd get for Luke.

In saying all that I'm fine if he stays, fine if he leaves. But peeps better not get all blardy Rawling when Phillips walks for next to nothing :)

While its been brutal for LDU and will be for a little while yet, as you point out we'll be on the up by the time his new contract starts. So while the grass may look greener now he'd be much better off hanging around imo and he offers point of difference in our midfield.

As for midfield depth im not sure you ever have enough given the game is getting faster all the time. Id be happy with almost 2 full rotations, so its vital players can at play pressure forward roles and have neat enough skills to hit the scoreboard reliably.

Id be looking at LDU as the main stay in middle (80%) with Simpkin (20%), then 50/50 of Powell/ Wardlaw with this years pick and Phillips. Form can dictate how the time is split, it may end up 60/40 for some.

You’d think bulldogs would be happy to let him go to free up cap space; people complain about our list management, but starting from a position of some strength, the Footscray collection of KP players seems downright odd
Thats why we make sure the Bulldogs are paying 1m+ for JUH (dont think we'll get him)
and then make a huge play in a few years for Darcy. When that lad fills out he'll be near on unstoppable.

Thats why we make sure the Bulldogs are paying 1m+ for JUH (dont think we'll get him)
and then make a huge play in a few years for Darcy. When that lad fills out he'll be near on unstoppable.
Makes me sick when I think of how the Bulldogs have been kissed on the d1ckwith Father suns and academies.....

You can include Pies, Cats, and the Northern states....

Meanwhile, at NMFC....

- the only A grade Father Son we have had - Jesse Smith, was cut down in his prime.

- the only A grade Academy pick we have had TT, tried to blow up the club and will now go off and realise his potential at another club.

* it makes me angry !!!

Makes me sick when I think of how the Bulldogs have been kissed on the d1ckwith Father suns and academies.....

Meanwhile, at NMFC....

- the only A grade Father Son we have had - Jesse Smith, was cut down in his prime.

- the only A grade Academy pick we have had TT, tried to blow up the club and will now go off and realise his potential at another club.

* it makes me angry !!!
The curse is real Johnny Lawrence.

Let's hope Harry and the other youngstars become the curse-breaker..

It's the Leigh Colbert curse, can't remember who said, but kudos.
On the money

oh well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how many spuds have we delisted over the last 3-4 yrs but now I look at the list and there’s another 10 or so spuds still here.

Think it might be an idea not to trade in players from other clubs - those clubs aren’t giving away decent footballers
Every premiership team has players traded in that other clubs were ok to trade away, often for not that much. A lot of the decency of a player relates to where they are playing and how they are being used - these guys are all good enough to make an impact in the right place with the right system and the right role.

Meanwhile, at NMFC....

* it makes me angry !!!

I did smirk at Bevo’s comments about how they wouldn’t be rebuilding…..******* helps when you get gifted Darcy and JUH…

King Corey I think this might be your hill..
Yep. My comrade ex poster Carlos and I used to debate this pre BF days.

Hated the trade and acquisition from miles out and was convinced in that one trade period we broke our team's momentum.

That was on Pagan. Major *up.

Yep. My comrade ex poster Carlos and I used to debate this pre BF days.

Hated the trade and acquisition from miles out and was convinced in that one trade period we broke our team's momentum.

That was on Pagan. Major *up.
I agree (and did so at the time). It was almost a 'bet the house' type trade, giving up so much for a player coming back from an ACL

The risk-reward never made much sense.

I agree (and did so at the time). It was almost a 'bet the house' type trade, giving up so much for a player coming back from an ACL

The risk-reward never made much sense.
It was dire on so many levels.

Break up a premiership side.

Let Scott Welsh's trade return just become part of the collateral for Colbert. Rather than like for like.

Push Cam Mooney out when he didn't want to go (100%).

Trade out of the 1st 4 rounds of the draft.

Bring in over the hill players like Calthorpe.

And Colbert was never that good in the first place. I was adamant about that. He turned into Kouta in his year off in the eyes of some north fans I knew.

We need mature bodies, but we need mature bodies that are physical, have running capacity or at a minimum B graders/decent role players in their specific roles.

I like Jarrod Berry tall, strong, physical, runs hard both ways, can play inside but is also capable of playing off a wing and being accountable. Brandan Parfitt fits the exact same mould with a little less upside when compared to Berry.

Blake Hardwick, desperately need a small defender and he fits the bill perfectly. Isn’t a world beater but has plenty of upside and is of the right age profile our list needs. Noah Answerth is another one who could play a lockdown role in defence he is OOC at Brisbane. Ben Paton is another lockdown defender that could come cheaply he is OOC at the saints.

Norths 2023 season compared to 2024 stats to date...

Attached image has highlighted columns, red signifies bottom 4 in the stat category, green represents top 4 for the competition...

Stat20232024Positive/Negative
Contested Pos
129​
120.6​
-8.4​
Intercepts
63.1​
56.8​
-6.3​
Disposals
355.2​
350.2​
-5​
Handball
155.1​
150.2​
-4.9​
Shot Effi
44.1​
39.6​
-4.5​
Hitouts
40.8​
36.8​
-4​
Clangers
58​
54.4​
-3.6​
Contested Mark
9.8​
6.8​
-3​
Stoppage Cl
24.3​
21.8​
-2.5​
Shots on Goals
20.7​
18.2​
-2.5​
One Percenters
45.3​
43​
-2.3​
Behinds
8.7​
6.6​
-2.1​
Bounces
5.8​
3.8​
-2​
Rebound I50
42.4​
41​
-1.4​
Tackles I50
9.1​
7.8​
-1.3​
Free Against
19​
18​
-1​
Inside 50
46.8​
46​
-0.8​
Clearance
36.1​
35.4​
-0.7​
Goal Assists
8​
7.6​
-0.4​
Goals
10.6​
10.4​
-0.2​
Kicks
200.1​
200​
-0.1​
Goal Eff
22.6​
22.6​
0​
Tackles
58.5​
58.6​
0.1​
Marks Inside 50
9.3​
10.2​
0.9​
Turnovers
68.3​
69.6​
1.3​
Uncontested Pos
219.9​
221.6​
1.7​
Fantasy
1475.2​
1477​
1.8​
Centre Cl
11.8​
13.6​
1.8​
Free For
16.7​
18.6​
1.9​
Disposal Eff
74.3​
76.8​
2.5​
Marks
86.9​
91.2​
4.3​
Shots on Goal Accuracy
51.2​
57.1​
5.9​

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 4.10.18 pm.png

Last edited:

That's the answer to a different question.

People are seeing LDU have a comparatively poor start to his year and their minds are going straight to "he wants out". I think that 2 + 2 = 500 territory, that's all.

Does the club have a decent sports psych that attends list management meetings because we really have recruited some dross over the years. I get that we aren't all that desirable at the moment so it's slim pickings and we need to offer more money + years etc. etc. but come on...

How about some players that actually look like they want to give everything they possibly can to achieve success. Less of the Stephenson, Stephens, Edwards, CCJ, and Fisher (don't even get me started with all the smiles and laughs with opposition players when we are getting pumped) types - players that look content to just be on a list and have some financial security. More of the Logue and VFL types that want to win at all costs and are actually appreciative of the opportunity. I'd much rather look to the reserves and search for players that have that fire in their eyes. Can't believe we didn't sign up players like Clohesy (rookie draft) or Mannagh (in the mid-season rookie draft last year).

Be nice to have more characters that don't want to go through the motions and are leaders.

That's the answer to a different question.

People are seeing LDU have a comparatively poor start to his year and their minds are going straight to "he wants out". I think that 2 + 2 = 500 territory, that's all.
Centre bounces - LDU starting position is to close and he’s to flat footed and easier to stop.
Should start further away from the bounce and get on the move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back