List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, we have done that, in fact we have been doing that between 2002 to 2019, what did we gain from that? Precisely nothing.

We needed to purge and gut and cleanout the entire club.

Without better word, we need to subvert ourselves. THis shinboner stuff is just some poisonous chicken soup that we fool ourselves with. Its not unique, every legit afl club has something like this, e.g. sydney has the blood. We need to turf out the old school thoughts and instead bring out club to the 21 century.
We can agree to disagree.

If you could somehow get a squad of players who are fully committed, then the aim would be to replace the poorer players with much better players. Much easier said than done.

As it is though, other teams may have a strong footballing culture, but we don't.

On Sanders, if we wanted him we would have drafted him. He would have been no issue as a pick 4 and even more perfect with his partnership for Tassie with McKercher. Our efforts to get him listed as our academy member was tokenistic, when we were asked to think creatively in relation to draft assistance a free hit at a top 5 pick with some basis in the academy system was a free hit that missed but he left our thoughts when the AFL declined it. If I was him and I genuinely was a North kid I'd be gutted we passed him up (and if media talk is correct he wasn't even our next option which seems to be Curtin).

Flip side, the Dogs traded out of two drafts for him. They love him. He's a first year player getting subbed in and out of a couple of games when they have genuine stars doing the same, I doubt he's too upset. If he starts mouthing off at club champions or missing bath time, perhaps.

I don't understand the obsession with Sanders, it's like we just latch onto anyone with any link to the club, i.e Josh Kelly.

We have a multitude of midfielders and this draft is massively mid heavy. Can you imagine if we took McKercher and Sanders and then had to take Smillie?

We have plenty of midfielders, McKercher was better than him in most departments and has a much higher ceiling because of his athletic profile, I'd argue he suits our list profile perfectly. Clubs kill for this sort of player with his running power and speed.

We would have killed for him in the mid 2010's when we were getting pumped over mid teens picks like Durdin, McKenzie, Garner, McKay and Black. Players like George, Hardeman and Goad are an afterthought to some. I feel like we as supporters are a little bit spoiled at the moment and take for granted the level of kids we getting in the door at the moment.

Duursma is a different case as he's a completely different player to Sanders. If people can't have see the potential dripping off of him I don't know what to tell you.

Players like Zane win you premierships and he absolutely has the potential to be our best and most damaging player in 5-6 years.

Last edited:

I don't understand the obsession with Sanders, it's like we just latch onto anyone with any link to the club, i.e Josh Kelly.

We have a multitude of midfielders and this draft is massively mid heavy. Can you imagine if we took McKercher and Sanders and then had to take Smillie?

We have plenty of midfielders, McKercher was better than him in most departments and has a much higher ceiling because of his athletic profile, I'd argue he suits our list profile perfectly. Clubs kill for this sort of player with his running power and speed.

We would have killed for him in the mid 2010's when we were getting pumped over mid teens picks like Durdin, McKenzie, Garner, McKay and Black. Players like George, Hardeman and Goad are an afterthought to some. I feel like we as supporters are a little bit spoiled at the moment and take for granted the level of kids we getting in the door at the moment.

Duursma is a different case as he's a completely different player to Sanders. If people can't have see the potential dripping off of him I don't know what to tell you.

Players like Zane win you premierships and he absolutely has the potential to be our best and most damaging player in 5-6 years.

I can't see a place for Sanders in the side and wouldn't want to pay the huge cost required to get him, I just think it's fun messing with Dogs fans about North doing a reverse-JHF on him. They are pretty touchy about him considering the way that Bevo has kicked off his career.

Stuck in a very mundane workshop while WFH this morning so I'm just taking a critical eye at the entirety of North Melbourne's AFL mens list, and breaking it down into 5 tiers;

• Tier 1 - A graders
  • Tier 2 - Solid contributors
  • Tier 3 - Too soon to say definitively
  • Tier 4 - Haven't lived up to potential, best football is behind them, or wouldn't get a game on another team
Based on these tiers, my assessment of our list as as follows;

Tier 1 - A Graders
  • Sheezel
  • Larkey
  • LDU*
Tier 2 - Solid Contributors
  • P. Curtis
  • Logue
  • Powell
  • B. Scott*
  • Xerri
  • Ford
  • Greenwood
  • Zurhaar*
Tier 3 - Too Soon To Say Definitively
  • Archer
  • Bergman
  • Comben
  • K. Dawson
  • W. Dawson
  • Drury
  • Duursma
  • B. George
  • Free
  • Goad
  • Goater
  • Hardeman
  • C. Harvey
  • Maley
  • McKercher
  • Nyuon
  • Phillips
  • Pink
  • Sellers
  • Wardlaw
Tier 4 - Haven't lived up to potential/best football appears behind them/wouldn't get games on another list
  • Fisher
  • Shiels
  • Stephens
  • Stephenson
  • C. Taylor
  • Simpkin
  • Tucker
  • Coleman-Jones
  • Corr
  • Hansen Jr
  • McDonald

*Players with an asterisk have been underperforming in 2024 but I'm not ready to drop them to a lower tier yet.

When you look at the list like this, it's not obvious we're struggling. Far too unbalanced. Especially when both our co-captains, as well as most of the games-played experience on our list is in Tier 4.
Very harsh on Simpkin, I'd have him in Tier 2 at the expense of Greenwood.

I mean, I can get behind a lot of this post but.....

I love the bloke, but he's been downright poor.
So let me understand this correctly, going by your Tiers, you're saying that our 21 / 22 Syd Barker Medalist hasn't lived up to expectations? His best football appears to be behind him? And he wouldn't get a game on another list?

He may have been poor this year but he literally doesn't meet one of your Tier 4 criteria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So let me understand this correctly, going by your Tiers, you're saying that our 21 / 22 Syd Barker Medalist hasn't lived up to expectations? His best football appears to be behind him? And he wouldn't get a game on another list?

He may have been poor this year but he literally doesn't meet one of your Tier 4 criteria.

I'm saying that his best football appears behind him, yes.

And I think it's largely due to the impact of multiple concussions in a relatively short period.

I'm saying that his best football appears behind him, yes.

And I think it's largely due to the impact of multiple concussions in a relatively short period.
That's fine and it's subjective so no issues with that. But you're also saying he hasn't lived up to expectations and wouldn't get a game on another list.

That's fine and it's subjective so no issues with that. But you're also saying he hasn't lived up to expectations and wouldn't get a game on another list.

You're misinterpreting the name of that 4th tier.

Not everyone on that list is ALL of the categories within the tier.

SOME are 'best football behind them'
SOME are 'haven't lived up to expectations'
etc

You're misinterpreting the name of that 4th tier.

Not everyone on that list is ALL of the categories within the tier.

SOME are 'best football behind them'
SOME are 'haven't lived up to expectations'
etc
My mistake. Apologies.

I just can't force myself to get excited about midseason draft picks since not a single one of them has panned out to be an AFL player for us.

I just can't.

We can agree to disagree.

If you could somehow get a squad of players who are fully committed, then the aim would be to replace the poorer players with much better players. Much easier said than done.

As it is though, other teams may have a strong footballing culture, but we don't.

But how do you measure a strong footballing culture? Is our culture better or worse than the laidly/scott era? Have we actually achieved much under those two than what we are attempting to achieve?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back