List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It was dire on so many levels.

Break up a premiership side.

Let Scott Welsh's trade return just become part of the collateral for Colbert. Rather than like for like.

Push Cam Mooney out when he didn't want to go (100%).

Trade out of the 1st 4 rounds of the draft.

Bring in over the hill players like Calthorpe.

And Colbert was never that good in the first place. I was adamant about that. He turned into Kouta in his year off in the eyes of some north fans I knew.
Is it true Geelong wanted Evan Hewett and we said no?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Does the club have a decent sports psych that attends list management meetings because we really have recruited some dross over the years. I get that we aren't all that desirable at the moment so it's slim pickings and we need to offer more money + years etc. etc. but come on...

How about some players that actually look like they want to give everything they possibly can to achieve success. Less of the Stephenson, Stephens, Edwards, CCJ, and Fisher (don't even get me started with all the smiles and laughs with opposition players when we are getting pumped) types - players that look content to just be on a list and have some financial security. More of the Logue and VFL types that want to win at all costs and are actually appreciative of the opportunity. I'd much rather look to the reserves and search for players that have that fire in their eyes. Can't believe we didn't sign up players like Clohesy (rookie draft) or Mannagh (in the mid-season rookie draft last year).

Be nice to have more characters that don't want to go through the motions and are leaders.
As I've said before, I'd rather we field a team that has less 'talent' but would, week after week, give everything they have to grab a win.

When we get to that point, we can begin to rebuild the Shinboner culture. From the outside, it looks like we have nothing.

Oh don’t
To be fair we turned him into Drew Petrie.

Fwiw have mentioned before, heard years later through non footy links that Hewitt was a top lad, was very supportive of the team although he was well back in the pecking order.

The link was a workplace that often got athletes involved and apparently most took the piss but Even genuinely put in.

As I've said before, I'd rather we field a team that has less 'talent' but would, week after week, give everything they have to grab a win.

When we get to that point, we can begin to rebuild the Shinboner culture. From the outside, it looks like we have nothing.
agreed 100%

much prefer that than providing a retirement/superannuation club for players like Rory Lobb :drunk:

We need mature bodies, but we need mature bodies that are physical, have running capacity or at a minimum B graders/decent role players in their specific roles.

I like Jarrod Berry tall, strong, physical, runs hard both ways, can play inside but is also capable of playing off a wing and being accountable. Brandan Parfitt fits the exact same mould with a little less upside when compared to Berry.

Blake Hardwick, desperately need a small defender and he fits the bill perfectly. Isn’t a world beater but has plenty of upside and is of the right age profile our list needs. Noah Answerth is another one who could play a lockdown role in defence he is OOC at Brisbane. Ben Paton is another lockdown defender that could come cheaply he is OOC at the saints.
Happy with any of the above

mainly the free agents

Trading LDU would leave too much to the young kids in the middle imo. I understand the trade a pre-agent strategy and you might net a slightly bigger return. But LDU is a restricted FA so we can match and force a trade end of 2025 anyway.
We could split 1st and 2nd round picks if it's about generating more picks to draft or trade.
We could also put the future 1st on the table if need be but I wouldn't do it until we're out of the bottom five imo.
Zurhaar leaving we can at least absorb somewhat with Harvey/George/Ford/Curtis types if he decides he wants out at year end but again not sure I want to lose too many of that 21-25 year old group.

Yes, we have done that, in fact we have been doing that between 2002 to 2019, what did we gain from that? Precisely nothing.

We needed to purge and gut and cleanout the entire club.

Without better word, we need to subvert ourselves. THis shinboner stuff is just some poisonous chicken soup that we fool ourselves with. Its not unique, every legit afl club has something like this, e.g. sydney has the blood. We need to turf out the old school thoughts and instead bring out club to the 21 century.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bart simpson episode 3 GIF

It's a no brainer for us to pouch him, it's a business, there is no gentlemen's agreement.

Hopefully under clarkson, we become more professional in this regard in that we need to use whatever in our means to improve.

It's a no brainer for us to pouch him, it's a business, there is no gentlemen's agreement.

Hopefully under clarkson, we become more professional in this regard in that we need to use whatever in our means to improve.
Well, if any team were to pouch him, then logically it would be the Kangaroos.

No shadows at all, our club isn't ballsy, I put up a suggestion based off the wider BF views on our young midfield.
They all can't play in the same side, so what do we do about that is my point.

And again if Phillips doesn't get game time he's out without a doubt. And the value of a footballer who can't get a game in a side that is sitting 0/5 is probably close to zero, zip & zilch. We got Stephens from Sydney for our pick 19(2024) & pick 44 (2023). They then gave us pick 25 (2023) draft.
So a six pick up grade & a fourth bloody rounder. Sydney used pick 5 Nat draft on Stephens originally. Doesn't matter that Stephens is s**t, not the point.

And as some of said, we'll get great compo next year if LDU decided he's had enough. Well that imo isn't a brilliant strategy, using being inept to get you quality draft picks.
Also al clarko has stated we need another 30-40 games into our youngsters. Well that is roughly rd 14 next season. And if we think winning 3 games in 2025 is acceptable, crikey.

I'd expect us to win 8/9 games next year at a minimum and we could finish around 13th-10th. That is starting to take the shine of any compo we'd get for Luke.

In saying all that I'm fine if he stays, fine if he leaves. But peeps better not get all blardy Rawling when Phillips walks for next to nothing :)
I can though, cause it is obvious how this will play out.

Right now Luke is contracted and we hold all the aces.

THis is business, nothing more, nothing less. It isn't personal.
Strong cooker areas these ones. Imagine trading a bloke who is about to explode into top 10 player territory. We should not be trading ******* LDU or even talking about it. We've lost TT, we'd be setting ourselves back 5+ years if we lost him. He's playing okay in a midfield that leaves him to get absolutely destroyed whenever he touches it. If our other mids and X protected him better and freed him up he'd get back to his best form.

Stuck in a very mundane workshop while WFH this morning so I'm just taking a critical eye at the entirety of North Melbourne's AFL mens list, and breaking it down into 5 tiers;

• Tier 1 - A graders
  • Tier 2 - Solid contributors
  • Tier 3 - Too soon to say definitively
  • Tier 4 - Haven't lived up to potential, best football is behind them, or wouldn't get a game on another team
Based on these tiers, my assessment of our list as as follows;

Tier 1 - A Graders
  • Sheezel
  • Larkey
  • LDU*
Tier 2 - Solid Contributors
  • P. Curtis
  • Logue
  • Powell
  • B. Scott*
  • Xerri
  • Ford
  • Greenwood
  • Zurhaar*
Tier 3 - Too Soon To Say Definitively
  • Archer
  • Bergman
  • Comben
  • K. Dawson
  • W. Dawson
  • Drury
  • Duursma
  • B. George
  • Free
  • Goad
  • Goater
  • Hardeman
  • C. Harvey
  • Maley
  • McKercher
  • Nyuon
  • Phillips
  • Pink
  • Sellers
  • Wardlaw
Tier 4 - Haven't lived up to potential/best football appears behind them/wouldn't get games on another list
  • Fisher
  • Shiels
  • Stephens
  • Stephenson
  • C. Taylor
  • Simpkin
  • Tucker
  • Coleman-Jones
  • Corr
  • Hansen Jr
  • McDonald

*Players with an asterisk have been underperforming in 2024 but I'm not ready to drop them to a lower tier yet.

When you look at the list like this, it's not obvious we're struggling. Far too unbalanced. Especially when both our co-captains, as well as most of the games-played experience on our list is in Tier 4.
I'd hate to see the heading for Tier 5 Chad!
oh god comedy GIF by BBC

Centre bounces - LDU starting position is to close and he’s to flat footed and easier to stop.
Should start further away from the bounce and get on the move.
Absolutely. His sidestep isn’t really visible this year. Tap it into a space and left LDU run through with Philips, Powell and Wardlaw protecting space and blocking their man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back