List management 101 (69?)

Remove this Banner Ad

The godfather of the shittest, negative gameplan in football history combined with the biggest advantages from head office managed to win one flag and dined off it ever since.

Complete and utter charlatan.
Didnt even have the plums to physically be at the club while his plan was being implemented, instead cowered all the way across the pacific ocean, fwiw i dont blame him , after all if a bunch of clowns are going to give you bags of cash for some snake oil you would be a fool to knock it back.

1 and 2 are spot on, but 3 needs some fine tuning - Rawlings didn't do the future trade in 2019, he was contractually bound to West Coast and didn't start in the role until December, after the 2019 draft
You are a terrible Wizard Merlin. Your sorcerous ways won’t work on the BigFooty masses. Your attempt to try and convince the masses that Rawling was simply “Gardening” and had no interaction with the Mighty NMFC during the 2019 trade period is laughable. :stern look

Gavin Brown took over at the start of November 2013

Here is every player drafted up until 2020, I've put ticks or crosses next to each one I thought was good or bad, weighting on where they were picked and what we got out of them

Some still unknown. Nearly all of 2020 still unknown is incredibly alarming in 2024 and our picks in the 30's and 40's and their development has been disgusting

National Draft

Luke McDonald - pick 8 ✔️
Trent Dumont - pick 30 ✔️
Ben Brown - pick 47 ✔️

Rookie Draft

Joel Tippet - pick 8 ✖️
Kayne Turner - pick 25 ✔️

National Draft

Sam Durdin - Pick 16 ✖️
Dan Nielson - pick 25 ✖️
Ed Vickers-Willis - pick 36 ✖️

Rookie Draft

Braydon Preuss - pick 15 ✖️
Will Fordham - pick 33 ✖️

National Draft

Ben McKay - Pick 21 ✔️
Ryan Clarke - pick 31 ✖️
Mitch Hibberd - pick 33 ✖️
Corey Wagner - pick 43 ✖️
Declan Mountford - pick 60 ✖️

Rookie Draft

Farren Ray - pick 15 ✖️

National Draft

Jy Simpkin - Pick 12 ✔️
Declan Watson - pick 34 ✖️
Josh Williams - pick 36 ✖️
Nick Larkey - pick 73 ✔️

Rookie Draft

Cameron Zurhaar - pick 11 ✔️
Oscar Junker - pick 28 ✖️
Matthew Taylor - pick 43 ✖️

National Draft

Luke Davies-Uniacke - Pick 4 ✔️
Will Walker - pick 23 ✖️
Kyron Hayden - pick 62 ✖️
Tristan Xerri - pick 72 ?
Billy Hartung - pick 77 ✖️

Rookie Draft

Tom Murphy - pick 4 ✖️
Gordon Narrier - pick 20 ✖️

National Draft

Tarryn Thomas - Pick 8 ✖️
Curtis Taylor - pick 46 ?
Bailey Scott - pick 49 ✔️
Joel Crocker - pick 69 ✖️

Rookie Draft

Tom McKenzie - pick 10 ✖️
Tom Wilkinson - pick 41 ✖️

Mid season Draft

Lachie Hosie - Pick 5 ✖️

National Draft

Charlie Comben - pick 31 ?
Jack Mahoney - pick 31 ✖️
Flynn Perez - pick 35 ✖️

National Draft

Will Phillips - Pick 3 ?
Tom Powell - pick 13 ?
Charlie Lazzaro - pick 36 ?
Phoenix Spicer - pick 42 ✖️
Eddie Ford- pick 56 ?

Rookie Draft

Patrick Walker - pick 2 ✖️
Connor Menadue - pick 18 ✖️

Mid season Draft

Jacob Edwards - Pick 1 ✖️
Charlie Ham - Pick 16 ✖️

😶

Scott/Bryce Lewis/Mark Finnigan era would have to be the greatest recruitment and trading period in the clubs history!!! At least Luffy was using stats but these two other gentlemen?

You can blame Rawlings for some misjudgement in his selections but you cannot compare that to those of these guys during the period of 2015 -2019...who trades away first rounders, did we really need Will Walker after drafting LDU..ohh the list of hits could go on and on.

That era is what led us to a ground zero rebuild, an era that didn't net us a GF berth or even top 4 finish, an era that when this bloke first came to the club the wanted to place 'the Shinboner Spirit on the backburner'!!!!:mad::mad:

Never liked the c@#t at Brisbane, never liked the smug c@#t at North and absolutely love him and his ultra edge home at scumland.

We were all cheering Brady last year for win after win at the draft table. What, now it’s all his fault for not having the foresight and ability to pick the future that all the experts on here thought they had?

Player development is diabolical at this club and that’s not Brady’s fault. When an 18 year old hopeful gets to this place and his “leadership” is a bunch of smiling journeymen who seem to have NO expectations of each other and who don’t even try to improve their own skills, that’s hardly going to improve things.

I feel sorry for young draft picks coming here.

Last edited:
We were all cheering Brady last year for win after win at the draft table. What, now it’s all his fault for not having the foresight and ability to pick the future that all the experts on here thought they had?

Player development is diabolical at this club and that’s not Brady’s fault. When an 18 year old hopeful gets to this place and his “leadership” is a bunch of smiling journeymen who seem to have NO expectations of each other and who don’t even try to improve their own skills, that’s hardly going to improve things.

The player development area has been restructured since the end of last season.

Hopefully we start seeing the benefits. Unfortunately it's probably too late for some of the older players.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

The player development area has been restructured since the end of last season.

Hopefully we start seeing the benefits. Unfortunately it's probably too late for some of the older players.

I do wonder what is the dark art of player development. Like, what does a good player development coach literally do to help a kid drafted in the second or third round go from being promising but underdone to becoming a 150-200 game player? It's not like they are teaching them how to kick or handball. And it's surely not the job of the development coach to build up muscle. So what is it that a good development coach does that a poor one doesn't?

Last edited:
I do wonder what is the dark art of player development. Like, what does a good player development coach literally do to help a kid drafted in the second or third round go from being promising but underdone to becoming a 150-200 game player? It's not like they are teaching them how to kick or handball. And it's surely not the job of the development coach to build up muscle. So what is that a good development coach does that a poor one doesn't?
All good questions of great spiritual depth - how do you get a young man to believe in himself? If you could buy it in a bottle, no need for the coach

I do wonder what is the dark art of player development. Like, what does a good player development coach literally do to help a kid drafted in the second or third round go from being promising but underdone to becoming a 150-200 game player? It's not like they are teaching them how to kick or handball. And it's surely not the job of the development coach to build up muscle. So what is it that a good development coach does that a poor one doesn't?

What encompasses “Development” is different at every club but for the most part it’s all about improving skill, decision making, understanding of structures, tactics, situational awareness, professionalism and leadership but it also crosses over into preparation, conditioning, nutrition, mental preparation, confidence and resilience.

Development coaches along with line coaches review a lot of tape to identify areas where players can improve.

Good question. Something I'd like to hear more about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute copout. Look at the duds from other clubs he has recruited.

And his selections in the draft aside from some of the early, obvious ones are not successes in any way, shape or form yet. The only one I would give him and the club credit for it Paul Curtis - a high 30's pick from memory who would at worst be in the top 20 of that draft if re-done now.

What encompasses “Development” is different at every club but for the most part it’s all about improving skill, decision making, understanding of structures, tactics, situational awareness, professionalism and leadership but it also crosses over into preparation, conditioning, nutrition, mental preparation, confidence and resilience.

Development coaches along with line coaches review a lot of tape to identify areas where players can improve.

Its also used by nuffys to explain why a draftee who they rated didn't make it. One of the most painful things in footy nuffdom.

Absolute copout. Look at the duds from other clubs he has recruited.

And his selections in the draft aside from some of the early, obvious ones are not successes in any way, shape or form yet. The only one I would give him and the club credit for it Paul Curtis - a high 30's pick from memory who would at worst be in the top 20 of that draft if re-done now.

Dunno man, our player development has been horrendous for years now, even preceding Rawlings.
Develop half of these players into something decent and we’re not having this conversation at all. This organisation is seemingly incapable of that.

Dunno man, our player development has been horrendous for years now, even preceding Rawlings.
Develop half of these players into something decent and we’re not having this conversation at all. This organisation is seemingly incapable of that.
I'm not disputing the merits of that point but you can't ignore the big contracts he's handing out like Oprah to rubbish players.

Which players should've made it but didn't?

I'm not disputing the merits of that point but you can't ignore the big contracts he's handing out like Oprah to rubbish players.
But it ain’t Rawling’s fault. Blame Lewis! Blame Joyces! Blame Finnigans! Blame Luffs! Blame Brown! Blame Nobles! Blame them all! But don’t blame Rawling. Perfect record. :stern look

Which players did Oprah hand long contracts to who didn't deserve it? I suppose there was Dr Oz; he was a bit rubbish. And Dr Phil; he was also a bust. Oprah should just stay away from anyone with a doctorate in the same way that our recruiters need to stay away from GWS rejects and kids in the QLD academies.

Which players should've made it but didn't?

Really? Like about 75% of them. Somebody did make a list of our drafting and trading over the past few years and it’s awful reading. Nobody would be that bad at their job as a list manager or have that much rotten luck that our strike rate is that poor. You’re looking at an 18 year old that has to develop in the right environment. Picking correctly is only half the battle.

As for the seniors that have been brought in, I remember being genuinely excited about a few of the prospects (eg Stephenson) but they all seem to stagnate.

Brady could’ve addressed some of the holes in the list but who knows? If Phillips went somewhere else and McDonald came here and was underwhelming, we’d probably be blaming him too. His mandate is most probably “pick the best player available” anyway.

It's on the individual, Tony Shaw couldn't mark, kick but through his own sheer will, he captained a premiership side. He actually couldn't football as we like to say.

Lachie Neale spends his summers running. He did it against us last Friday up and bloody down until half way through the third when the Brissy coaching staff had seen enough. While he was out running TT was sinking piss, just sayin.
He isn't half the footballer as say an LDU, just is 5x fitter.

Our players and it dawned on me in that pic when the worst team ever was in the pool on Bali, looking like millionaires. They either DGAF or are oblivious to what it is they're trying to achieve.

I have saved that Bali pic and will upload it preseason 2026, won't be many left is my guess.

Okay, so, first of all, good answer. Very informative. My next question is, why do these lessons generally only apply to an 18-21 year old? If a kid with tremendous potential goes to a club with poor development coaches and doesn't establish himself as an AFL standard player, why can't he then be taken on by another club and turned into a champion? This virtually never happens.

How many of y’all remember when this club could bring in no-names and they’d improve with us?
They’d either become world-beaters or at the very least, cult heroes. Always remembered fondly.
From Peter Bell all the way to Spider Burton, we always seemed to pull it off.

Now, from CCJ to Dylan Stephens, Polec to Hall and every Bonar in between, we just don’t.

Meh.

Twinkletoes was it you that mentioned that Gavin Brown was pleading for more resources in the player development space?

Seems like we've finally done that.

Please never mention Gavin Brown in this forum again, that fraud stole a living from us for more years than I care to remember did not develop one single player on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back