2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

They add “tight on cap” knowing full well it will spur along any rumors. I don’t see how we possibly could be though. Unless kings new deal is 2 million haha

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes it provides the "motive" for the Sun's to "consider" trading him.

They probably use an article from a few years ago and just change the names.

Childhood suns fan Ryley Sanders sub again, maybe he'll like to play with Sean Lemmens before his "retirement"

Childhood suns fan Ryley Sanders sub again, maybe he'll like to play with Sean Lemmens before his "retirement"

Add him to the growing list of AFL players who grew up supporting the Suns - Will Day, Bodhi Uwland, Connor Budarick, Ethan Read, Will Graham and Ryley Sanders.

7WUfQ0y.jpg

AFL 2024: Damien Hardwick elaborates on meeting with Daniel Rioli

The rumour mill went into overdrive when Daniel Rioli met Damien Hardwick on the Gold Coast. But the Suns coach has poured cold water on any potential move for the Tiger.
Hardwick said the “innocent” catch-up had been taken out of context and suggested it would have been odd not to catch up with Rioli while he was on the Glitter Strip given their close relationship.

“I’ve known Dan for 10 years. He lived with me for two or three, so it would be weird if I didn’t catch up with him when he was up here on holidays,” Hardwick said.

“So yeah we caught up and had a beer together, it was his birthday.

“It was good to see the great man but I feel a bit sorry for him at the moment.”
Rumours began circulating this week that Rioli’s visit to the Gold Coast was for more than just a holiday, with speculation he had even toured the Suns’ facilities.

“No absolutely not,” Hardwick said.
“(It was) a personal visit. I have a great long-standing relationship with him.

“He’s contracted to Richmond for life I reckon, so it was pretty innocent from our point of view.”

The Suns coach was also asked about the club’s draft and recruiting strategy moving forward, given the immediate on-field impact shown by four of the five Suns Academy products who have debuted in recent weeks.

“List management will always be looking at our list and how we can get better,” Hardwick said.

“At the end of the day every club wants good players within their list and wants to bring good players to their footy club and we’re no different.

“We go through a very rigorous process about what that looks like, who those players are and we work our way through that, much like 17 other clubs.”

Clubs believe Martin, who turns 33 in June, would consider a move as an unrestricted free agent. But the superstar Tiger, just seven matches short of his 300-game milestone, would also command a significant wage and would likely only move to a contender or up north to Gold Coast, alongside former coach Damien Hardwick.

The Suns are increasingly confident Ben Ainsworth and his partner want to stay on the Gold Coast, despite his free agency status.

Gold Coast also has interest in GWS defender Isaac Cumming, also a free agent.

SUNS MOVE TO ASSURE LUKOSIUS

Gold Coast has assured star swingman Jack Lukosius it does not see him as trade bait, despite clubs being interested in his services.

The Crows have long been interested in the Adelaide local, and Lukosius would help with their key-position shortage. A shaken Lukosius wanted clarification from the Suns after reports this week and was firmly told he was in their long-term plans.

The Suns players are extremely tight and have all pledged to remain together, with Lukosius living with star midfielder Matt Rowell, who is out-of-contract next year.

So, the Suns would be making a very risky move to trade him.

They have made clear they have no plans to move him on.

The Suns would move heaven and earth if Richmond allowed Daniel Rioli to break a contract to 2027, but are aware that will almost certainty not happen. Maurice Rioli Jnr is in also contract talks with the Tigers about a new extension, so they will remain together at Punt Rd.

Cumming has definately been squeezed out of GWS backline, moved to the wing now.

Would be a nice third tall back, he was a neat kick but his confidence has been down recently so not sure where he’ll sit with us.

I do like the idea of 7 185+ intercepting defenders, something that has worked well at Geelong

Bloody hell these scumbags are good. Talk all week that Jack might be on the move because HE is upset thats he is playing defence, then come out a couple of days later saying the Suns had to assure him he is a needed player because he is upset. All because that prick Edmund talked out of his ass. They have no shame, and I can only assume that the guys up here are actually just sitting back laughing.

Bloody hell these scumbags are good. Talk all week that Jack might be on the move because HE is upset thats he is playing defence, then come out a couple of days later saying the Suns had to assure him he is a needed player because he is upset. All because that prick Edmund talked out of his ass. They have no shame, and I can only assume that the guys up here are actually just sitting back laughing.
Yeah, pretty awful. You dont want to make a player feel unwanted, so good to see the club quickly rectify this.

Like clockwork

Kingy has copped it the worse, the other boys would be sitting back being far out let’s sign early to get it off our backs which The others have done.

Only rankine left it late and he eventually left and the words he said in todays article sounds like he only left to be closer to family which is fair enough

I bet it's opposition teams spreading rumours around, trying to unsettle players, club, create uncertainty. A lot of teams would love Luko.

Jon Ralph just reported on Fox Footy that we're "very keen" on recruiting Rioli for next year, despite Dimma and others playing down his recent trip here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jon Ralph just reported on Fox Footy that we're "very keen" on recruiting Rioli for next year, despite Dimma and others playing down his recent trip here.
Of course they would downplay it, if it was true. Its only April and said player is in contract.

i like the mental picture of you at a corporate event listening to mark evans, full well knowing you're probably the only one in the room that knows your bigfooty username is MarcLocksCrustySock :tearsofjoy:
My socks are a give away though. The ol faithful multi use LockCockSocks.

In seriousness though about the cap stuff he also said our caps in a good space to pounce on an experienced gun or two if we can. The HUN are throwing darts or using old info like flogs.

My socks are a give away though. The ol faithful multi use LockCockSocks.

In seriousness though about the cap stuff he also said our caps in a good space to pounce on an experienced gun or two if we can. The HUN are throwing darts or using old info like flogs.
And why would we be surprised at that.........nothing exists north of the Murray....nothing worthwhile anyway!;)

Last edited:
Rioli would be a great fit as an experienced HB.
Breaks lines with that aggresive speed (as in, uses his speed to either chase the ball when it is in the open or run past for a handball), get it forward quickly before the oppo can get extras back.

He is not a great player but would be a great fit, just as he would be a great fit for most teams including the Tigers. Everybody is looking line breakers off half back. If the Tigers are looking to let a couple go for draft picks, hopefully he is one of them.

Yeh it’s interesting that Ralphy has had it confirmed the chase is on. He is a Tigers man with connections after all.

Depending on how much overs we are willing to pay, the Tigers may just come to party. Lots to play out.

Yeh it’s interesting that Ralphy has had it confirmed the chase is on. He is a Tigers man with connections after all.

Depending on how much overs we are willing to pay, the Tigers may just come to party. Lots to play out.

I’d part with a first this year and a future first with Rioli for some change, We’ve got a couple of potential first rounders in 2025 so we may wanna part with our first next year too

I’d part with a first this year and a future first with Rioli for some change, We’ve got a couple of potential first rounders in 2025 so we may wanna part with our first next year too

The way bids on academy players are matched is going to be changed, probably for next year's draft.

We may need to hold on to next year's first.

Just imo but Rioli isn't worth more than one even under contract. Richmond will be looking for high picks to get their rebuild underway before Tassie come in. They may see him as expendable.

The way bids on academy players are matched is going to be changed, probably for next year's draft.

We may need to hold on to next year's first.

Just imo but Rioli isn't worth more than one even under contract. Richmond will be looking for high picks to get their rebuild underway before Tassie come in. They may see him as expendable.
Given where Richmond and the Suns are at potentially the Suns would be over the odds in draft capital in order to get Richmond to pay a fair chunk of Rioli's salary for next 2 years to help out with our cap.

Craig Cameron would be very proud of these posts and so would the Richmond board.

How about we throw in Noah Anderson too.
Good grief.

Craig Cameron would be very proud of these posts and so would the Richmond board.

How about we throw in Noah Anderson too.
Good grief.

Hypothetically speaking, what do you think would be a fair trade for a contracted best 23 player that basically ticks all of the boxes for where we are as a team next season?

I personally think we will need to offer our earliest 1st rounder this year to entice the Tigers. It's going to be gobbled up by Lombard anyway, so let's put it to use before the draft.

It's refreshing to be linked to a player of Dan Rioli's quality when less than a month ago we were linked to a fringe player in John Noble. Winning and looking highly competitive against the best teams really does make a HUGE difference when it comes to recruitment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back