Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Miguel Angel Lopez (COL, ASQ)

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Jumbo made a mistake sending Dumoulin as their protected rider here. He's no longer a guy that can win GC, or even finish top 3. Should have given Vingegaard clear air as the leader for this and Dumoulin as the #2 to Roglic

Vingegard was never going to the Giro with the Grand Depart for the TDF being in Denmark.

Previously posted that BEX made a mistake by not including a sprinter if the GC goes pear-shaped for Yates - Realistically the only two riders who could win a stage are Hamilton and Sobrero.

Its still hard to fathom what went wrong here, with the leaders around 2 k to go he has lost a further 5 minutes which is as bad as it can get. i dont know whether he suffers from cramps, it appears the heat was main factor, he pretty much played down the knee issue.

For Bardet and Hindley this was the stage for them and both looked very good yet didnt put any time into Almeida. Carapaz looks a bit off his best. Given there's not much in the second week, the team tactics will be interesting. UAE have some good domestiques for a medium mountains stage but apart from Formolo not much for the big mountains, I think they need to try something this week.

Who've we got? Girmay, MvdP or Demare? I'm on Girmay if he can drop Demare, if he can't then Demare's form looks too strong IMO

Great sprint finish by Girmay and van der Pool. Nice touch by vdP by putting the thumbs up with 10m to go, when he knew Girmay got him.

Unlike the previous 3 stages I saw the finish and didnt doze off or forget to flick back to sbs in time for the finish.

Third ever African stage winner behind Impey and Froome and first ever non-anglo winner.

The ABC's report fails to mention Impey or Froome, but it does mention a win in 1979 by Alan van Heerden as the first Giro win by an African.
Probably because Impey never won a GT stage, my mistake

Coming in here after seeing the abc.net.au article on the Giro, well done to the Eritrean rider, certainly not a country you associate with sporting success.

Question for the die-hards - what are Jai Hindley's chances of winning the Giro? I'd imagine like Cadel Evans a GT win would see a spike in Australian interest in the sport. I read that he has had success before but is he a real chance in this one? Or in the Tour?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming in here after seeing the abc.net.au article on the Giro, well done to the Eritrean rider, certainly not a country you associate with sporting success.

Question for the die-hards - what are Jai Hindley's chances of winning the Giro? I'd imagine like Cadel Evans a GT win would see a spike in Australian interest in the sport. I read that he has had success before but is he a real chance in this one? Or in the Tour?
He's previously finished on the podium in the Giro, albeit in a COVID year, with the weakest field in history.

He struggled to keep up with the lead trio on the steeper sections of the Blockhaus, before catching up again (and winning) when the road flattened out towards the summit. I can see him finishing well inside the top-10, possibly top-5, but I'm expecting him to ship time on the steeper climbs in the 3rd week.

He's previously finished on the podium in the Giro, albeit in a COVID year, with the weakest field in history.

He struggled to keep up with the lead trio on the steeper sections of the Blockhaus, before catching up again (and winning) when the road flattened out towards the summit. I can see him finishing well inside the top-10, possibly top-5, but I'm expecting him to ship time on the steeper climbs in the 3rd week.
Not sure how many are definitely stronger. Carapaz is definitely the strongest, and Almeida is probably the only one who can challenge him with Bardet's complete inability in a TT to finish.

Hindley could get another podium if he's around the same time as Bardet coming into the final TT, because we know Landa will blow up at some point and Carthy doesn't look like he has the legs. So should be top 5 IMO

Not sure how many are definitely stronger. Carapaz is definitely the strongest, and Almeida is probably the only one who can challenge him with Bardet's complete inability in a TT to finish.

Hindley could get another podium if he's around the same time as Bardet coming into the final TT, because we know Landa will blow up at some point and Carthy doesn't look like he has the legs. So should be top 5 IMO
Fortunately for Bardet, there's SFA TT km in this year's Giro.

I agree Hindley has an excellent chance of finishing top-5.

Talk about highs and lows... Girmay becomes the first black African to win a stage in a GT - ultimate high. Girmay pops the cork on the champagne bottle, on the podium, and it flies straight into his eye. He is then forced to withdraw from the Giro, as a result of the injury to his eye. Ultimate low... all on the same day.

Talk about highs and lows... Girmay becomes the first black African to win a stage in a GT - ultimate high. Girmay pops the cork on the champagne bottle, on the podium, and it flies straight into his eye. He is then forced to withdraw from the Giro, as a result of the injury to his eye. Ultimate low... all on the same day.
Should be banned. Drink the bloody thing, don't bloody waste it spraying over people, for the camera.

It's like the 12th man scripted it. 😁

Is there any way does he not go to the tour now though? Might be a blessing in disguise.

Is there any way does he not go to the tour now though? Might be a blessing in disguise.
Depends on how serious the eye injury is, I guess. I would hope he'd be fully recovered by July.

Having said that, I have no idea what Intermarche have planned for his racing calendar, for the rest of the year.

Back