Phantom Draft Chris25's 2011 Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Chris25, firstly, thanks for the time and effort you put in. Secondly, you're one of few to have mentioned Daniel Pearce who we picked up at #49, would love to know a little bit more about him if possible. Thanks.

He wasn't one I had really looked at all that much until about halfway through the season. There had also been a bit of talk about him being selected around that 40-60 in the weeks leading up to the draft, so he wasn't as much of an unknown as he could have been.

Lots to work with though. Good speed and agility, has played pretty much all over the ground too. The stand out feature to his game is definitely his leap, and his overhead marking matches. Not sure he'll necessarily be a quick fix or anything, but I think he could add some life to your solid if unspectacular back line.

you able to give me some more info on Haiden Schloithe?

A really strong argument at the moment wheter Essendon should, or should'nt draft a small forward.

I think we should and think that Schloithe is a really worthwhile candidate. Tackles strongly, uses it well, nice little size.

Are you able to elaborate more on him and who he probably reminds you of at AFL level?

Thanks bud

I'm not really a big Schloithe fan. Never saw him going in the national draft, was always going to be a rookie prospect at best.

Yeah, he tackles well and is constantly hunting the guy with the ball but that's about it at the moment really. He seems to project as a small forward, and at this stage doesn't really have the capacity to move into the midfield. Maybe eventually, but until then it's the forward line for him and he doesn't have as many strings to his bow as others. Not the greatest user of the ball, finishing can be a bit off too.

Taking everything into account, I think his best would be akin to an even more unrefined Mitch Robinson. Maybe a Matt DeBoer if he really works on his engine. Otherwise, a Ben Nason type who looks great in a developing team but as soon as they start moving up the ladder gets left behind.

I do think he'll get rookie listed. Just, long term, maybe not the bargain some might think.

G'day Chris

First time posting mate but just wondering your thoughts on the Rookie Draft...Apologies if you're written something on the discussion boards already...just working my way through the site...

Any chance of us taking one of the talls in the Rookie draft that were overlooked in the National Draft?...a few names listed in the below AFL article who were rated in phantom drafts to get picked up but weren't

www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/20.../126608/default.aspx

Only names I've heard being mentioned as possibly being picked up by Freo are Chad Sandilands, Brad Dick, Simon Turnbridge and Clancee

Wouldn't mind giving any one of Boseley, Dobosz or Frost a chance...all 192cm or taller, and although they may lack a bit of polish, they have a few years to develop as KP players for the future whilst McPharlin and Grover wind up their careers.

Can't remember if we have 5 or 6 picks in the rookie draft, but I'm sure there will be some young talls picked in there somewhere. At a guess I would say we take Dick, Pearce, Bolger/Sandilands, a tall defender and a tall forward.

I would love to get Frost or Boseley, but along with Simon Tunbridge I think we might take a mature aged KPP instead of one of the more highly rated talls on here. Just a gut feeling I have.

And while they aren't talls, I wouldn't mind getting one of Marley Williams, Max Duffy, Jordan Wilson, Michael Mascoulis, Jason Williams or Michael Musicka. Would all fit in quite nicely with our picks from the national draft.

Can't remember if we have 5 or 6 picks in the rookie draft, but I'm sure there will be some young talls picked in there somewhere. At a guess I would say we take Dick, Pearce, Bolger/Sandilands, a tall defender and a tall forward.

I would love to get Frost or Boseley, but along with Simon Tunbridge I think we might take a mature aged KPP instead of one of the more highly rated talls on here. Just a gut feeling I have.

And while they aren't talls, I wouldn't mind getting one of Marley Williams, Max Duffy, Jordan Wilson, Michael Mascoulis, Jason Williams or Michael Musicka. Would all fit in quite nicely with our picks from the national draft.

Hi Chris, I put up a question seeking your opinion on Freo's picks and also asked for some info on the SA boys we took. As you are based in SA, I'm hoping you have seen them and that we have mined a litle gold>
Can you let me know what you think/

Thought I might as well throw together some of the names who I regarded as unlucky after missing out on selection in the National Draft. The PSD is a bit hard to predict, unless a team comes out and directly states that they will pick someone up.

As for the rookie draft, I didn't bother all that much at finding out how many picks each team will make. And I know some teams are committed to re-drafting players but I haven't included all of them - or all of the international rookies or alternative talent ones. I've gone with some of my own picks instead. I know Fremantle for example wont draft anything like this, but oh well.

Pre-Season Draft

#1 GWS - Lee Spurr (185cm midfielder - Central Districts)

Was a bit of talk around Spurr as a potential GWS pre-listing, with several clubs showing real interest in the 24 year old. Did his chances no harm by nearly winning the SANFL GF off his own boot last week, dominated the final term. He can play pretty much anywhere on the ground, is good in the air and has good skills. Really should be on an AFL list.

#2 Gold Coast - Sam Frost (193cm defender - Sandringham)

A lot like Tomlinson in that he hasn’t put his performances together on a consistent basis, but he had a real breakout performance in the Championships where he used his athleticism to great effect on the rebound. Frost has a lot of potential, both as an attacking defender and up forward. Has a background in both basketball and volleyball, like so many young players seem to have.

#3 Port Adelaide - Darren Pfeiffer (184cm midfielder – Norwood)

Former first round draft pick, Pfeiffer is 24 now and had returned to Norwood. Has rediscovered his best form this season, playing both through the midfield and as the general across half back. His skills are as good as ever and he excels in setting up the play. I’d really like to see him get another chance on an AFL list.

#4 Richmond - John McCarthy (189cm midfielder - Collingwood)

I didn't mind McCarthy at Collingwood, he wont ever be a superstar but he is a solid midfielder who is versatile enough too. Apparently Port are interested, but sounds like McCarthy wants Richmond.

#5 Fremantle - Zac Dawson (195cm defender - St Kilda)

I know Dawson cops a lot of stick, but I'm looking forward to this selection. He is getting bigger and better every year, and is a genuine key defender now capable of playing on the biggest forwards in the league. He'll make Fremantle a much stronger defensive team.

#6 Western Bulldogs - Mark Austin (193cm defender - Carlton)

It's never easy to pick PSD selections, especially when a team wasn't expecting to have to use one until late. But Austin is training with the Bulldogs, so he gets the spot here. Never really got much of a shot at Carlton, could do worse than giving him another chance.

#7 GWS - Myles Bolger (201cm ruckman - South Fremantle)

I can only assume it was past injuries that saw Bolger miss out last week. And while GWS probably wont use this pick, and could just take him with their first rookie spot, I want him here. I know the old joke is that ruckmen aren't smart, but Bolger is a smart player. He moves well and again is a very good tap ruckman, although he has appeared somewhat restricted around the ground over the past 18 months.

#8 GWS - Pass

The Giants could take another four players if they wanted to, but it seems like they will stick with what they have. And probably wont even use two picks in the PSD.

Rookie Draft

Round 1

#1 GWS - Andrew Boseley (194cm defender - Geelong)

Tall, lanky defender who has played on Patton with some good success this year. I originally had him pegged as a late selection, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him push up towards the first round. And now that this is the last pick for GWS for a while, I think they might reach for another KPP. He has great agility and speed for someone his size, and reads the play very well. Generally used his agility and smarts to beat his man, rather than strength. But he'll get stronger with time.

#2 Gold Coast - Max Duffy (189cm forward - East Fremantle)

Talented medium forward, who was invited to the draft combine last year for GWS to get a look at him. He has had a few problems in the WAFL, and probably hasn't come on as far I would have expected. But he is a smart forward/midfielder and will add a bit of that unpredictability

#3 Port Adelaide - Jordan Wilson (179cm defender - Darwin/North Adelaide)

One player I would have looked seriously hard at as a potential zone selection for GWS. Has been splitting his time between the NT side, North Adelaide and school football. Playing as a small defender, Wilson is extremely composed down back and always seems to make the right decision. Just a really clean and smart footballer.

#4 Brisbane – Ben Darrou (190cm defender - Sandringham)

Really nice player is Darrou, I think he’ll prove to be a bit of a bargain. Can play both on taller and smaller opponents, as he reads the ball really well and can run off and provide a real attacking presence too. Good foot skills and some real strength through his body. As a later round prospect, there is a lot to work with.

#5 Adelaide - Justin Clarke (195cm defender - Booleroo, Melrose, Wilmington)

Tall 17 year old playing CHB in the Northern Areas Football Association, very much a country boy. North Adelaide have been trying to get him out to play SANFL, but he only came down for one reserves game as he has preferred to focus on his school and work on the farm. I was up in Orroroo about 6 weeks ago and I heard from a couple of locals at the football about this kid that had interest from the AFL. Forgot all about him, until there was a story on him in the newspaper a couple of weeks back where they said scouts from up to 8 teams took the three hour drive to see him play. Definitely a prospect to watch given the lack of standout features in the games of other KPPs going around.

#6 Melbourne - Jai Sheahan (195cm forward - Geelong)

Yet another player who was invited to the combine last year by GWS, he impressed by coming second in the handball test. Jai has also spent time playing in the ruck, which has helped to improve his athletic ability. As a forward, he is a strong marking mobile type, but also a proven goal kicker in the TAC Cup. Being as strong athletically as he is, he could definitely work his way up into the second round.

#7 Richmond – Michael Musicka (184cm midfielder - South Launceston)

I quite like Musicka. History says only so many Tasmanians will get picked, but on AFL attributes alone I would probably have him ahead of McKenzie. Quick winger who can run off half back, good mark too. Some suggestions of behavioural issues earlier in the year, but I'd give him a shot.

#8 Fremantle – Gibson Turner (178cm forward - Federal)

Couldn't believe he got overlooked, and could be off the board before this pick. Turner is another one of those who has been splitting his playing time between the NT, Glenelg and school football as he is living in Adelaide for his schooling. Really skillful player with again some real speed, he is a smart player up forward and leads really well. Showed in the U18 Championships and in U18 football for Glenelg that he knows how to kick a goal.

#9 Western Bulldogs – Ben Gazzola (196cm forward - Norwood)

Is 21 years old, but only in his first season of SANFL football after being recommended to Norwood coach Bassett by Mark Ricciuto. Another former basketball player, Gazzola has only played the one league game after spending most of the year in the reserves. But he is a big strong guy, with excellent athleticism.

#10 North Melbourne - Louis Eggar (184cm midfielder - Federal)

Probably my favourite of the NT kids on offer this year, and he has had interest from a number of clubs. Don't quite know what it is about him that I like, but he is just a really good all round talent. Can't fault him athletically, but it's probably the fact that he is tough at the contest which is his greatest strength.

#11 Essendon - Sam Milne (176cm midfielder - Murray Bushrangers)

Just a small kid, but the best prospect out of NSW this year and I would have him in the 20-30 range on the open market - no idea why GWS didn't take him as a zone selection. A fearless inside midfielder who does all the hard things and rarely wastes a disposal, he is just exactly what you want from a young player.

#12 St Kilda – Cameron Shenton (188cm forward - Norwood)

21 year old forward, and he has some real x-factor. Excellent set of hands, good speed and definitely knows where the goals are. Has played out of the goal square quite a bit for Norwood, but would greatly benefit from having a bigger guy up there with him. He needs to work on his consistency, because the talent is there.

#13 Sydney – Harry Cunningham (181cm midfielder - Turvey Park)

Only eligible for this draft by about three weeks, Cunningham is one of the top two players out of NSW this year in my opinion. Another quick midfielder, he has had a few different injuries over the years but he has been playing good football this year including some time with GWS as a top up player.

#14 Carlton – Josh Waldhuter (184cm midfielder - Central Districts)

I've always been a fan of Waldhuter, and successfully managed to hype him up prior to the draft - perhaps a bit too much though. Waldhuter is as inside as they come in this draft. Highly rated SA midfielder, but was overshadowed by Grigg in the Championships. He is a tough midfielder and a very good kick, but he also has a decent turn of speed. Outside of the top few, Waldhuter is likely to have the most immediate impact.

#15 West Coast – Shane Nelson (178cm midfielder - West Perth)

Another small midfielder, but again a real ball winner. Although he performed well at the combine, I see him more as a solid player rather one with real stand out features. Don't take that as a bad thing though, he has the versatility to play wherever and will find the ball wherever he goes. Generally regarded as one of the unluckier players to miss out on selection at the national draft.

#16 Hawthorn – Nick Murphy (194cm forward - Oakleigh Chargers)

Not necessarily the year Murphy would have been hoping for, wasn't selected in the U18 Championships and missed out on a Draft Combine invite. But he was the leading goal scorer in the TAC Cup. Attended the Combine last year as a 17 year old, he is bigger than what he was and that has only helped his marking game. Another former basketballer but he is a very good and especially on goal, where he has an interesting yet effective kicking style.

#17 Collingwood – Kyal Horsley (182cm midfielder - Subiaco)

I don't think it would be a bad idea for Brisbane to look at another mature aged midfielder, and as foot skills seem to be the order of the day, that leaves 23 year old Horsley. Like Broughton and Mzungu before him, a move into the midfield this year has paid off big time for Horsley as he is averaging a career high 24 touches a game while his tackle count has rocketed up too. His left boot gets him a shot ahead of some other more well known mature prospects.

#18 Geelong - Jack Crisp (189cm forward - Murray Bushrangers)

Doesn't have the biggest profile, but an easy player to like. And was one I tended to rate higher than others. Lots to like about Crisp up forward, strong mark above his head and can kick a decent ball too. It wouldn't surprise me if Crisp was to get an early debut, particularly as his defensive work as a forward is already right where it needs to be. Has also shown impressive form in the midfield.

Round 2

#19 GWS - Hugh Sandilands (189cm defender - Port Melbourne)

22 year old, former Hawthorn rookie who was delisted without playing a game a few years ago. I like what I've seen from him this year, and while I do tend to focus more on the underage games I did manage to see Hugh live this year. Think he'd be perfect for a young team, big body and can patrol the half back line. That's something they'll be lacking in 2013 when Cornes retires, and Sandilands is a better option than GC have with Campbell Brown.

#20 Gold Coast - Damian Williams (180cm midfielder - Darwin/GWS)

Spent the last couple of seasons playing with GWS, and I have no idea why he wasn't kept for next year. Attended a state screening this year, and I fully expect he will get another shot. Very high reward type pick. I think he'll play more as a small defender/half back, where his speed and attack will come in handy.

#21 Port Adelaide - Waylen Manson (191cm forward - Claremont/Kururrungku)

Lots of talk about Manson, lots of talent but a bit of an unknown. Personally I wasn't surprised that he got overlooked. There is more at play than just his talent though; the question is how he will adapt especially considering how long it took Claremont to get him down to Perth. Hard to see him going anywhere other than a WA team, but Port might take the chance.

#22 Brisbane – Michael Florio (189cm midfielder - Perth)

Another mature aged player, this time a 20 year old from the WAFL. Probably could have been rookie listed last year but missed out, hard to see that happening again this time. He is a tall midfielder, with exceptional pace and ability above his head. Really came on this year, and started winning the ball consistently at league level. Think it was Quigley who compared him to Isaac Smith, and there are similarities. Would be perfect for a team like Brisbane who already have the contested ball winners.

#23 Adelaide - Dylan Orval (192cm forward - Oakleigh)

I'm sure someone will take the punt on Orval. Had it not been for injuries, he likely would have gone much earlier so it's a pretty high reward type selection. Strong mark and nice kick, the only problem is that he missed a lot of time with a knee injury and it seems like injuries could be a common part to his game. He's the type of player that a club will persist with though.

#24 Melbourne - Marley Williams (181cm midfielder - Claremont)

Another kid who I probably rate a little more than others might. He is a strongly built midfielder/forward, but does have an impressive turn of speed. There is no denying he has natural talent, and there was one play in particular during the Championships against SA which they showed this - one handed contested mark, followed by a 55m goal off one step. I can see him debuting early, just needs to keep putting in the work.

#25 Richmond – Aseri Raikiwasa (191cm defender - Port Adelaide)

One of my favourite defensive prospects in the draft, but the rookie draft was always his best shot. He has been working with the another Fijian defender in Alipate Carlile. And when it comes to Aseri you can guarantee that nobody will be working harder to make it. He performed strongly for SA, and has already become a leader on the field. He has a great build, so development will likely be about defensive work as opposed to strength.

#26 Fremantle – Jackson Coleman (196cm forward - Sandringham)

Looked like Coleman was going to choose cricket at one stage as he played for Australia in the U19 World Cup last year, but he has since been invited to the Draft Combine. Big forward and part time ruckman, he is strong overhead and has kicked a heap of goals this year. I tend to think he is a little underrated.

#27 Western Bulldogs – Marcus Crook (185cm defender - Ainslie)

Mature aged guy out of Canberra, who played for GWS in the NAB Cup this year. He played well for them earlier in the year, and has continued with his good form in the NEAFL including a best on ground performance in the Eastern Conference grand final. Attacking half back who can play further up the field, has a good turn of speed and great foot skills. Would be talked about a lot more if he was from Victoria.

#28 North Melbourne - Kelvin Williams (189cm defender - Darwin)

Yet another player who I strongly would have considered taking as a zone selection if I were GWS. Kelvin Williams is a nice size for a defender and is one of only a few NT kids to get invites to the Draft Combine. Can play on both smalls and talls, and is just a smart player who reads the ball well.

#29 Essendon - Michael Mascoulis (187cm midfielder - Northern Knights)

Bit of a trend in this draft that players are really good in parts of their game, but there is just something that lets them down. Mascoulis is a really talented player, very agile and attacking runner. Is the type of player who can quickly turn a game on its head, playing off either a wing or half back. The only reason he is this low is because of consistency. Don't be surprised if he goes earlier based on talent.

#30 St Kilda – Alex Devitt (191cm forward – Peel)

A nice looking player up around half forward, strong mark and a pretty good kick. If he had more of an impact on the scoreboard, then I think he would be talked about more often. At this stage, nothing is really guaranteed. Can push up and get involved in the play, a little like Tom Lynch who the Saints got rid of in trade week.

#31 Sydney – Xavier Richards (194cm defender - Sandringham)

Again just like Tomlinson and Frost, Richards is more in the frame based on his ability than consistency. The positives for Xavier are definitely his size, and from all reports he might still a little bit left in him. But also his attack on both the ball and player, and his tackling was a feature in the U18s. Is agile enough and has a good set of hands on him. I like him as a defender, but you could easily develop him at either end of the ground.

#32 Carlton – Jordan Staley (194cm forward - Gippsland)

Really nice prospect is Staley. The problem is that he has been playing in the ruck for Gippsland, and with his height that isn't going to happen at AFL level. But he is already a very strong mark and a booming kick, and his time in the ruck has let him develop his running game. Just needs a season or two playing as a genuine full forward, and he could be a nice player.

#33 West Coast – Alex Howard (191cm defender – Swan Districts)

Not a real big defender, although he is 87kg so could be one to surprise early on. In the U18s, he was WA’s best defender and his football smarts really showed. Is good in one on ones and his ability above his head, both marking and spoiling, is impressive. Only played 3 Colts game this year, the rest was spent with WA or in the seniors. Needs to win more of the ball though.

#34 Hawthorn – Luke Wilson (174cm forward - Port Adelaide)

One of the smallest players in the SA squad, Wilson is the cousin of Danyle Pearce and isn't too dissimilar. Aside from a couple of reserves games, Wilson has primarily played U18 football for Port Adelaide and won a Rising Star nomination earlier this year. Very clean hands, coupled with his speed and natural ability, makes him an exciting prospect in the forward half

#35 Collingwood – Matthew Jacquier (188cm forward - Woodville)

Jacquier is another forward who was invited to the combine last year by GWS, but ultimately missed selection. And again like others, his form this year hasn't been quite as good as what was maybe expected. He is a medium forward with good skills and a strong set of hands. Has the ability to play both tall and small, and he has played both at CHF and as a crumbing small.

#36 Geelong - Michael Bussey (196cm defender - Eastern Ranges)

Bussey can play down back (I actually prefer him down there) but most of his work for Metro and the AIS has been up forward. He needs a season or two to really fill out, but he has had some impressive showings already. With the way the game is played at the moment, he'll be expected to run through the ruck at times and while he can do it, he is a KPP first.

Round 3

#37 GWS - John McKenzie (177cm midfielder - South Launceston)

The fifth Tasmanian to be taken in my draft, and this time it's the captain. McKenzie was picked in the All Australian side, although as a forward despite being an inside midfielder. While he is a classic midfielder who can win his own ball and has decent skills to match, his size is unfortunately going to count against him. I know some people rate him highly, but I see the rookie draft as being his go.

#38 Gold Coast - Tom Lee (194cm forward - Claremont)

Athletically gifted 20 year old tall forward, Lee was initially drafted by Adelaide as a project player but was dumped after just one year. Was always going to be a good 2-3 years before he started showing what he can do, and he is doing that for Claremont this year. Although his form has dropped off, he has shown good signs as a strong marking forward. Needs to have more of an impact on the scoreboard, but the potential is definitely still there.

#39 Port Adelaide - Ben Haren (196cm forward - Sydney)

Was picked up by the Swans last year in the rookie draft, but only lasted one season before being delisted and I'm not sure the reason for it. But he was one of my smokies last year, so I'm willing to give him another shot. Really big guy, strong mark and athletic. Think delisting him might prove to be a mistake.

#40 Brisbane – Brody Mihocek (191cm defender - Burnie)

Geelong can pretty much do what they want here. My favourite of the Tasmanians, and one of the better prospects for a number of years to come out Tasmania. Ideally he would grow a few more centimetres, but he is already a strong contested mark for his size. There isn't much I don't like about Mihocek - strong body, good kick and an impressive athlete. He is also capable of playing forward, and has done it a number of times to good success.

#41 Adelaide - Lewis Hender (187cm forward - Glenelg)

Hender had a breakthrough performance in the Championships last year, but his games this season perhaps weren't at that same standard. Hender has debuted for Glenelg, and is already a good size for a forward. Can be used as a CHF type, also has enough tricks as that third tall forward. While he will also likely compete from Round 1.

#42 Melbourne - Daniel Joseph (184cm midfielder - Glenorchy)

Time for yet another Tasmanian, and probably one of their better prospects. Joseph has the individual skills to be an AFL player, seems to be a smart player with decent skills. It's traits like that which will have teams feeling like he can be developed into a good player, or solid depth at the least.

#43 Richmond – Jake Hammond (188cm forward - Oakleigh)

Really nice player, and one I wouldn't have been surprised had he gone in the national draft. Height is probably what held him back, because he tends to play taller than what he actually is and that doesn't always work all that well at AFL level. As a third tall though he offers a lot, would probably be one who could see early game time too like a Karnezis.

#44 Fremantle – Julian Dobosz (193cm forward - North Hobart)

Full forward from Tasmania, he got quite a bit of attention early on in the piece with some suggesting he could push the first round. I'm not really sure where that came from, but there is plenty to work with. Still relatively new to the game, but has kicked bags in both the Championships and back home. More of a second tall than a focal point up forward.

#45 Western Bulldogs – Damian Mascitti (187cm forward - Oakleigh)

Was one of the smokies heading into the draft, with a few people thinking he might be a bit of a bolter. Emma Quayle being one of those. He is an outside type/half forward, but perhaps not as quick as one might wish. But he does have good skills and tends to make the right decision, it's that game sense that more than makes up for lacking a yard of pace.

#46 North Melbourne - Larry Owen (194cm defender - Hobart)

19 year old key defender, who was overlooked in the draft last year. But I reckon he is a good prospect. He can run all day and is agile. Kicking style is not textbook but it isn't bad considering, can kick the ball a fair way. Some of his best football is when he can zone off and rebound, so getting better in the one on ones is what he'll be working on.

#47 Essendon - Ross Tungatulum (175cm forward - NT Thunder)

Some will remember the name as the former St Kilda rookie, and since his delisting he has gone back to the NT and has improved out of sight. Really matured too. Excellent forward crumber and strong defensively, Ross would be ready to play from Round 1. Don't think any team would have problems keeping him either.

#48 St Kilda – Lachlan Dalgleish (185cm midfielder - North Ballarat)

I said he was a midfielder, but he has played just as much across half forward and given what he has shown up forward I could easily have called him that. Excellent speed and has run competitively. Will be an interesting player to watch, potentially more of an athlete and teams have been moving away from those types lately. But there is plenty of interest in him.

#49 Sydney – Jackson Potter (178cm midfielder - Pennant Hills)

Swans Academy member, and apparently has been invited to train with Sydney heading into the drafts too. Along with his state screening invite, things are looking pretty good for Jackson's prospects. Is a strong midfielder despite being sub 180cm, goes in hard and has pretty good skills too.

#50 Carlton – Jack Frost (194cm defender - Williamstown)

Older brother of Sam, and a bit of a favourite on this board last year. Can't help but think he might be another Kyle Hartigan, but I still think Hartigan should be drafted too. Good athletic big guy, might be more of a 2nd tall defender. Think he is another to be hurt by poor disposal issues, which he has been working on this year.

#51 West Coast – Alroy Gilligan (177cm forward – Claremont)

20 years old now, Gilligan spent time on Richmond’s rookie list but spent his time either injured or in the VFL. He has gone back to the WAFL now, and has become a more consistent player. He has always been highly rated, has definite x-factor and can play in any number of positions. Well worth another shot, perhaps a WA side would be his best bet.

#52 Hawthorn – Drew Gallard (188cm midfielder – West Adelaide)

Seems to be a bit of a forgotten player of sorts. Is another from the Henley football factory, and again was named in the SA squad but didn’t play in the Championships. I quite like him though, is a nice size and plays an attacking game. Is a running defender/midfielder, and showed in the SANFL U18s that he can be a big ball winner while using it very effectively.

#53 Collingwood – William Farrer (180cm forward - Southern Districts)

Maybe a bit of a long shot, but well worth a chance. He is your typical forward from the NT, huge leap and always seems to just pluck those contested marks. The fact that he has played in the ruck pretty much says how good his jump is. Needs to improve on his fitness and just strengthen up a tad, but he put in some good performances in the Foxtel Cup so the talent is definitely there.

#54 Geelong - Chad Sandilands (204cm ruckman – East Fremantle)

A very raw prospect, should only be taken in the rookie draft as it will be a long time until he is AFL ready. Played Colts football this season, finished with lots of hit outs but basically nothing around the ground. So a bit like an early Aaron really. Not sure he'll ever fill out like his older brother, but he got an invite to the WA state screening and should at the very least be interesting to watch develop.

Round 4

#55 GWS - Paul Bevan (184cm midfielder - Sydney)

Personally I think Bevan would add more than Rick Ladson to the Giants side. Bevan offers flexibility in that he can play at both ends of the ground, as a defensive forward he could slot in early. Will be interesting to see just how many older guys they pick up.

#56 Gold Coast - Mat Suckling (182cm midfielder – Norwood)

Another mature aged player out of Norwood, and he is one of the better clearance and contested ball winners in the SANFL. For an inside player, he also has a very good kick on him – would probably rate up there with the best in the AFL too. Would be a very good rookie selection in my opinion.

#57 Port Adelaide - Tom Sundberg (183cm midfielder - Collingwood)

22 year old, and arguably the best mature aged player in the VFL. Huge ball winner, tough and a good user of the ball, Sundberg would likely be able to find a position in any team not just a young developing side. But at a younger team, I imagine he would have a Nick Lower type impact straight away.

#58 Brisbane – Richard Newell (186cm midfielder - NSW/Brisbane)

This selection is a given, just a matter of if they put him on their senior list or rookie list. Moved up to Queensland earlier in the year and has been training with the Lions too - apparently blitzing everything this week. The kid is a very good athlete, disposal could use a bit of work so that is why he seems like a rookie prospect.

#59 Adelaide - Matthew Goldsworthy (177cm midfielder - Woodville West Torrens)

20 year old small midfielder/forward, spent most of the season playing league football for Woodville. Was also picked in their premiership winning team, didn't have a huge match but he contributed. Has been a bit of a goal scorer, although this year he tended to play further up the ground. A clean, smart player.

#60 Melbourne - Freddie Clutterbuck (182cm midfielder - East Perth)

20 year old midfielder from the WAFL, there is more to like about him than just his name. A lack of speed was probably the thing that has kept him out of the AFL so far, but good players can overcome that. Clutterbuck is a ball winner, and can have an impact on the scoreboard. A little Barlow like. At the very least, I'd expect him to be rookie listed

#61 Richmond – Addam Maric (176cm forward - Melbourne)

I have a feeling Maric will be one of those players who never lives up to their potential, and getting delisted by Melbourne isn't a good start. Personally I'd rather see Peter Persinos get selected as I view him as a more natural goal kicker or maybe even Will Shea who offers a bit more x factor. But Maric will get another shot.

#62 Fremantle – Simon Tunbridge (191cm defender - GWS)

Initially selected as one of their 17 year old selections, Tunbridge left due to personal reasons about a month ago. Considering he was of only 12 selections that GWS made, he obviously has talent. He gets talked about as a medium forward, but I prefer him down back playing a similar role to Chris Newman. He had some strong performances for GWS this year, so they wont be happy losing him for nothing.

#63 Western Bulldogs – Kyle Hartigan (194cm defender - Werribee)

Third year in a row I have included Hartigan in my draft, and surely this will be the year for him - I've left out Haydn Busher out this year in the hope that I had previously been jinxing him. Hartigan is 20 years old now and gets bigger and stronger every year. He is playing on the best forwards in the VFL every week, and would be able to step up to AFL level straight away. Skills are good too, so he can hurt a team offensively. Very much like Alex Silvagni.

#64 North Melbourne - Luke Rander (196cm forward – Norwood)

One of a few young Norwood key forwards, it will be interesting to see how many get picked up. Picked in the SA squad, but didn’t feature in the Championships. Spent the season playing in the U18s for Norwood, rotating through the ruck and forward line. Strong body for an 18 year old, finished with 26 goal for the season.

#65 Essendon - Ben Brown (197cm ruckman - Devonport)

Big 19 year old ruckman/key forward, think everyone pretty much knows who he is after last year. Very good mark and speed for a ruckman, and equally good on the ground. If it wasn't for a knee injury, he would have been drafted last year. Will be interesting to see just how much weight he can put on, just needs to strengthen up a bit at the ruck contests because he can already compete athletically.

#66 St Kilda – Beau Dowler (196cm forward - Noble Park)

Would be a very interesting pick. One of those early picks that didn't make it, Hawthorn persisted with him for as long as they could but ultimately injuries got the better of him. He turns 24 this year and only played suburban football this season. I always preferred Mitch Thorp myself, but picking Dowler seems like a Chris Pelchen thing to do.

#67 Sydney – Angelo Thomas (180cm defender – Claremont)

I really like Thomas, think he could be a pretty special player. Was invited to the WA state screening but missed it as he was out bush near Broome somewhere. Sounds like he’ll get another chance to do the testing, and looks to be serious about an AFL career. Very quick player who offers a lot as a rebounding defender, perhaps needs to stick to basics more often but who doesn’t love a player who takes the game on.

#68 Carlton – Matthew Lodge (186cm defender - Riverview)

A scholarship player for Carlton, and they've just recently committed to picking him up as a rookie. Pretty much seems like a younger version of Nick Duigan - strong courageous type, who typically plays on taller opponents. Not necessarily something the Blues actually need, but they've put the time into him so far.

#69 West Coast – Ryan Cook (186cm midfielder – South Fremantle)

Former Collingwood player, he spent four years on their list so although he didn’t play a heap of games he was obviously doing something right. I always liked the look of him, and his move to South Fremantle was a good one and he finished as their B&F this year. I think he still has more to offer. I think he'll end up at Fremantle come the real thing.

#70 Hawthorn – Tim Mosquito (178cm defender - Waratahs)

Don't actually have a height for him, so I've just guessed but basically he is a small defender. For those who watched Manson play in the NTFL, you might remember seeing young Mosquito and if you were anything like me you were more impressed with him than Manson. Very quick, very creative running defender with good skills. Has also performed well defensively, shutting out Tungatulum for example.

#71 Collingwood – Michael Hartley (196cm defender - Sydney Uni)

Key defender who is tied to Collingwood through the NSW Scholarship scheme. Maybe would have been a late selection otherwise, but I'm inclined to think he would have been a rookie pick anyway. Lots to work with though, has a fairly mature body and moves well too.

#72 Geelong - Cam Eardley (182cm midfielder - East Fremantle)

Midfielder from WA, but when he played in the Championships it was often in the back lines. And he did that well, especially in one game when Lockyer went down injured. But all that just highlights the defensive side of his game. He wins plenty of the ball offensively too, and isn't afraid to get involved in the physical stuff.

Some other names for the sake of it

Victorians

Lachlan Edwards - 187cm forward

Jason Williams - 187cm midfielder

South Australians

Steve Rusca - 182cm defender

Jason Nyskohus - 179cm midfielder

Kory Beard - 194cm defender

Peter Persinos - 170cm forward

Daniel Kulikowski - 179cm midfielder

Matthew Appleton - 184cm midfielder

Luke Rander - 196cm forward

Nick Dinham - 197cm forward

Tom Langford - 193cm forward

Aaron Day - 190cm defender

Jack Hannath - 200cm ruckman

Toby Stribling - 178m midfielder

West Australians

Haydn Busher - 193cm defender

Will Shea - 179cm forward

Haiden Schloithe - 183cm forward

Alex Howard - 191cm defender

Matthew Jupp - 191cm defender

Rhys Waters - 180cm midfielder

Justin Joyce - 179cm midfielder

Kieran Butcher - 183cm midfielder

Mark Hutchings - 180cm midfielder

Jarrhan Jacky - 178cm defender

Callum Papertalk - 185cm midfielder

New South Welshmen

David Coward - 176cm midfielder

Oliver Tweeddale - 194cm defender

Nick Ryan - 198cm forward

Tasmanians

Dylan Riley - 182cm midfielder

Trad Duggan - 180cm defender

I'll add a few more in towards the end. I do have a few 19/20 year olds in there though, as well as my favourite older guys - Marcus Crook, Darren Pfeiffer and Lee Spurr. But really, I'm mainly about the kids.

Also I like how I can edit this thread, and nobody but other mods can see it. Any requests for Essendon while you have a sneak preview?

If you want to edit later for higher accuracy, you may want to include Gavin Urquhart, who is likely to be rookied by us if no one else takes him.

Also, Ian Fairley's son, Lachie, has been told he is a good chance of being rookied by us.

If anyone can solve the mystery of Ben Haren for Swans reserves watchers, we would be most interested.

He played some good footy early in the season, showing very good mobility for a guy his size. And then he just disappeared from the team. He was never listed as being injured, and he was regularly to be seen in the crowd watching Swans games, and is in Mad Monday photos. So it is not like he walked away from the club.

He needs to put plenty of bulk on before he is ready for senior footy but certainly has some potential.

We're only taking 2 rookie picks Chris (although I'm assuming you have us taking more because you want to get lots of names out there, which is fine).

Reckon Sam Dwyer should get a shot in there somewhere.

I have gone thru the list 3 times and i still can't see Brett OHanlon's name???

Surely an oversight

I am hoping Adelaide will take Gibson Turner with our first rookie pick. Exactly what the crows are crying out for and would feel at home at Adelaide with the other boys.

If anyone can solve the mystery of Ben Haren for Swans reserves watchers, we would be most interested.

He played some good footy early in the season, showing very good mobility for a guy his size. And then he just disappeared from the team. He was never listed as being injured, and he was regularly to be seen in the crowd watching Swans games, and is in Mad Monday photos. So it is not like he walked away from the club.

He needs to put plenty of bulk on before he is ready for senior footy but certainly has some potential.

Hmm, so Sydney fans don't even seem to know what happened? Seems like a weird one. But in any case Haren is now back in Adelaide, and has signed on with Port in the SANFL. Like you said, he does have potential so I'd like to see him get another chance.

I have gone thru the list 3 times and i still can't see Brett OHanlon's name???

Surely an oversight

Not an oversight, no. O'Hanlon is just one of those players who I don't rate as highly as others.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the other medium forward types - Crisp, Jacquier, Duffy, Hender and Hammond. Think they have better chances at moving into the midfield rotations, while Hammond is a much better option as a tall forward.

I just see O'Hanlon as one of those who will get lost in the fold - maybe he'd have a role in a young developing team a bit like Danny Stanley but I'm just not as high on his long term chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back