Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends where they finish. If they end up with a pick in the top 5, they can probably split it for two picks around the 10 mark and trade it for Smith. If they keep playing the way they have been though they mightn't be able to do that.
Youll probably have a bunch of clubs trying to get those 2 picks off Gold Coast, including clubs with a better pick than the Hawks do.
Freo might have a couple of decent picks up for grabs, they have theirs, Ports and the Pies first rounders
serious? a team would trade out 2 picks around 10 mark so pick 10 and 11 for pick 5?
Gold Coast would if they thought their academy kid would still be there after the pick 5

Doesn't mean it was a good move though. That's type of deal that bites hard in 3 or 4 years.
I think if you look at the context of the trade, it's unlikely to be a net positive or negative, to be honest. The point I was making wasn't whether it was good or bad, the question was asked whether a team would do something like that.

Youll probably have a bunch of clubs trying to get those 2 picks off Gold Coast, including clubs with a better pick than the Hawks do.
Freo might have a couple of decent picks up for grabs, they have theirs, Ports and the Pies first rounders

Gold Coast would if they thought their academy kid would still be there after the pick 5
Freo the other one with pies and ports first on top of their own. Even with more wins late like last year we will be bottom 5 s which becomes the dreaded pick 6 graveyard - we will definitely trade! Our first and pies second for 2 first round teens picks would seem to work. Battle FA Smith with one and best KP available with the other would be great.

North would need a tal defender like him
We are having a crack, 6 x 1m was what I have heard.

Reality is we have to pay way overs to get players to the worst team in VFL/AFL history.

Saying that I imagine he will stay at Saints if they want to match it.

Only question would be if they decided they would prefer to get a top 5 pick for him with 1st round compo and save the money.

We did that last year with McKay and it was the correct decision in hindsight.

Reality is we have to pay way overs to get players to the worst team in VFL/AFL history.

Only question would be if they decided they would prefer to get a top 5 pick for him with 1st round compo and save the money.

The majority of supporters would want him to stay thus would pay him but i am confident the Ross and co would let him go for the band one pick.

Sos won’t match that. If you guys have offered that he will be at north next year. Think sos offer about 200g less

The majority of supporters would want him to stay thus would pay him but i am confident the Ross and co would let him go for the band one pick.
I'd be disappointed to lose him but we cant be matching $1mill a season. That would make him our highest paid player and as good as he is, he doesn't warrant that status.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sos won’t match that. If you guys have offered that he will be at north next year. Think sos offer about 200g less
Will be one of those win wins like McKay leaving was for us we got a top 5 pick they got a solid KPD

Now it’s that situation again and you guys ending up with a top 5 pick

Pick 4 and 5 is a good way to regenerate

Heard from a reliable source that’s the offer, I presume he will stay at the Saints for a fair bit less because of the state of us. But if he goes you well get band 1.

If you are the saints and you get a top 5 pick plus free up $800k what do you do?

I guess you need to look at when is your next premiership likely with the age demographic.

I don’t watch enough of the Saints to know to be honest. Seems like a good list.

But what’s the point of offering Weltering $1.5 a year and losing Battle? Makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
Battle is an Unrestricted F.A.
He can leave even if StK match whatever offer he receives.
He has 3 general options:
1. Stay and sign a new contract with StK
2. Take the big money that will be offered by North or Hawks
3. Take less money, but go to a club closer to their premiership window
If he takes option 3, StK will get less of a compensation pick, but they can't do anything about it.

If he takes option 3, StK will get less of a compensation pick, but they can't do anything about it.

You don't say!

Season 4 Omg GIF by DARK SIDE OF THE RING

He won’t take option 3. It’s either cash or the saints

Will be one of those win wins like McKay leaving was for us we got a top 5 pick they got a solid KPD

Now it’s that situation again and you guys ending up with a top 5 pick

Pick 4 and 5 is a good way to regenerate

Except Battle isn’t anywhere near as good as McKay who is suited to taking the number 1 forward.

$6m for Battle is absurd. I understand North need bulk talent in that age profile and will have to overpay for it but Logue and Corr have his position covered. He doesn’t solve anything.

Except Battle isn’t anywhere near as good as McKay who is suited to taking the number 1 forward.

$6m for Battle is absurd. I understand North need bulk talent in that age profile and will have to overpay for it but Logue and Corr have his position covered. He doesn’t solve anything.
Disagree

McKay is just a lockdown defender

Battle can do that and intercept and distribute

Would compliment what we have

Remove this Banner Ad

Back