Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v North in the Adelaide Hills Round 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No changes for me, Rich should come in but it’d be unfair to take anyone out. Maybe Joyce just because of the match up.

Really liked the look of Prior behind the ball.

Oscar and Linc probably the closest to being left out for me, we’ve got really good options in the reserves for both of them.

It's Bailey out for me. It honestly looks like he's lost all confidence when you can see his actions all over the ground live. He's actively avoiding contests, he's jogging to space and worse just standing.

And then when he does get involved there just seems to be inevitable free kicks.

Was answerth playing forward in the ressies? Maybe the coaches have either linc or bailey on borrowed time and are looking for defensive forward options?

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

On Linc I see comments here and there from people who attend games, as well as the likes of Jono Brown, regarding his importance to the team and the role he plays. I thought Rayner and Linc really set the tone early last night. The coaches will have a much better idea of about his value than those of us looking on from outside.

McCarthy’s pressure was fantastic last night. If you look for him on replay, he was everywhere and in Collingwoods faces.

A little annoyed because everyone was questioning whether we had players who were willing to do the hard work even if not flashy but as soon as McCarthy does it at expense of his own game he gets called to be dropped for not performing.

We played the way we need to last night with balls out the back to Charlie and having Rayner plus our talls be the genuine marking targets. There’s only so much football.

I could see him making his way out the side soon but I would hope it’s more because of players like Robertson/Lohmann banging the door down rather than this idea McCarthy isn’t providing any value.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wilmot is getting better each week - why would we drop him?
Agree. Wilmot and Prior were very good last night. A few small errors here and there but overall they played great games and brought some great ferocity when required.
There are other way underperforming players I’d look to drop before these two.
Bailey and McCluggage are top of that list.

I'm not getting carried away with last night's win but on that performance no one in the team deserves to be replaced.

Not that I don't think we could have better options available in one or two positions.

Pleased to see most play their role and we need to play with the same intensity against lesser teams.

I'm glad to hear that McCarthy is doing more from those at the ground because on TV he has been hit and miss. The most notable was him streaming into an open goal from 3/m out with no one around him and shinning it across the face.

Then in the (3rd q) he hit that bullet pass to Zorko who followed to Cameron. He's clearly a very good player, perhaps a luxury to play as a defensive forward realistically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad to hear that McCarthy is doing more from those at the ground because on TV he has been hit and miss. The most notable was him streaming into an open goal from 3/m out with no one around him and shinning it across the face.

Then in the (3rd q) he hit that bullet pass to Zorko who followed to Cameron. He's clearly a very good player, perhaps a luxury to play as a defensive forward realistically.
We need a defensive forward. Probably two. They’re never a luxury.

If you want to discuss Linc losing a yard of pace, that’s a genuine discussion.

But we need one or two crumbing small forwards/half forwards who will sacrifice their opportunity to get out the back, or in to a goal scoring position, so they are putting pressure on the opposition and following attacking half backs up the ground.

Linc is also a very good field kick, and will more often than not pick out the right player ahead of him.

Currently the only player in the reserves who could play a similar role is Ah Chee.

But we need one or two crumbing small forwards/half forwards who will sacrifice their opportunity to get out the back, or in to a goal scoring position, so they are putting pressure on the opposition and following attacking half backs up the ground.

Linc is also a very good field kick, and will more often than not pick out the right player ahead of him.

Currently the only player in the reserves who could play a similar role is Ah Chee.
I agree wholeheartedly that we need them, I kind of imagined Zorko / McCarthy to be playing that role, who are also both very good distributors.

Watching the reserves (on stream only), Lohmann didn't really strike me as playing that role. Maybe Coleman, but no one else really stood out.

Ah Chee played across the half back line, but he could step into that role of required. Doesn't quite have that unrelenting pace that makes a good pressure forward however.

Correct. Lohmann is not a replacement for Linc at this stage - he can't play the defensive role, and we are already overstocked for dynamic but perhaps mercurial small/half forwards. A very promising player and worth retaining, but not going to get pushed into the seniors right now.

Rich for Joyce

Gunstons last chance

Nah, Gunston can go back if needed and be the spare. Rayner has now proven he can be a difference in the forward line. It's just a matter of switching Rayner mid/forward and letting Gunston roam the defense when needed.

Gunston is a sharp shooter too, we just need to give him at least half a season to gel. Let's ensure he covers 2 roles as forward and spare defender when needed and let him keep playing. I don't think there is any tall beating the door down in reserves to replace Gunston.

think joyce would be a bit stiff to be dropped. been quite good defensively and havent seen him really make a mistake with ball in hand

our defence has looked much better with only one of coleman / rich in the side. dont think its a coincidence

The interesting side story is watching Joyce and McKenna sync up trying to cover different players. When they had the camera behind goals view, you can see these two pointing and directing each other - I'm sure none of them understood what the heck they were chatting about. They should bring Madden in next round may be, it'll cover off the 3-way Gaelic yapping.

I agree, Joyce + Payne is a good combination in terms of size and pace next to Andrews. We need to persist with these two even if Gardiner is ready.

Some strange opinions in here.

Dropping McCarthy after his best performance of the year and his relentless pressure game? I would have dropped him after his first 2-3 games but not after last night.

Dropping Wilmot after he looks to be growing in confidence every week?

Dropping Bailey?

Dropping Gunston? Wot?

Out: Gunston, McCarthy
In: Lyons, Mathieson

McCluggage plays on the wing. Lyons straight into the midfield rotation. Mathieson plays McCarthy’s role.

Gardiner in for Joyce
Rich in for ???
Ah Chee sub

I think the next few games will be a good chance to get Gardiner up to speed. Defence has been coping well against good opposition with relative inexperience down there.

Out: Gunston, McCarthy
In: Lyons, Mathieson

McCluggage plays on the wing. Lyons straight into the midfield rotation. Mathieson plays McCarthy’s role.

Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back