2nds Crows in SANFL season 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Not worrying too much about 15 players out of their squads of 350, doesnt really warrant putting all your time if any into 4% of your players in that year level

All the more reason to have an AFL-run and funded U/18 competition for those who are considered draftable. 4-6 teams of the best youngsters who play with an eye to development, not just winning SANFL games of football.

The SANFL can still run their U/18 comp if they still wish.

350 isn't many out of all the footballers in South Australia either

Ciorrect if you look at metro leagues and ammo clubs and country leagues , but the best of Metro footballers and some Country are in those 35 man squads only 4% will go onto AFL more will go onto SANFL a lot more will go back to local leagues, some will never play again.

The comp needs to accomodate all especially not the lowest minoroity being the 4% everyone on here talks about

thank you you have hit the nail on the head
That is the very reason the under 16 and 18 need to run independently from the SANFL clubs. they can then develop players,

Nothing is stopping the AFL from starting their own league with their own ovals and their own administration and their own umpires their own clubs with their own coaches and their own support staff

All the more reason to have an AFL-run and funded U/18 competition for those who are considered draftable. 4-6 teams of the best youngsters who play with an eye to development, not just winning SANFL games of football.

The SANFL can still run their U/18 comp if they still wish.

Correct they can

Why dont they do it?????????

Nothing is stopping the AFL from starting their own league with their own ovals and their own administration and their own umpires their own clubs with their own coaches and their own support staff
Yes there is Marty it called the AFL commission, You really should find out how it works.

What the AFL commission that the clubs vote in

They would have no trouble in creating a junior league in the same fashion they created a Womens league

The AFL Commission who previously was known as the Australian National Football Council, They will not go around the SANFL commission.
Yes, they can stop or reduce funding but to start up another competition in direct competition to the SANFL they will not and I believe cannot do that. Also if they did they could lose their federal support.
So it really is a pointless argument.

The AFL Commission who previously was known as the Australian National Football Council, They will not go around the SANFL commission.
Yes, they can stop or reduce funding but to start up another competition in direct competition to the SANFL they will not and I believe cannot do that. Also if they did they could lose their federal support.
So it really is a pointless argument.

Like the womens league which they created

They can do what they like, dont throw that one at me, they will consult and work with the SANFL but if they want a TAC comp here in Adelaide they will make one.

They wont though, they will not lose federal funding if they want a junior competition to develop young talent like they did with the TAC it would be quite within their rights to do so, but with the fact our population is so small in SA and they will only get around 15 out of the 120 drafted each year it isnt worth it, as NSW asnd QLD become more popular with their enormous populations that number will decrease as a percentage or even as an actual number

Every sport is the same the high population states supply more its simple mathematics, if more are coming from NSW and QLD then the AFL's inroads into those states is working

Lets be honest that is exactly what the AFL need to happen not only for the sport to grow but also for a return on the enormous investment they have made into those states

Its a numbers game, we dont have the numbers, pretty damn simple

Like the womens league which they created

They can do what they like, dont throw that one at me, they will consult and work with the SANFL but if they want a TAC comp here in Adelaide they will make one.

They wont though, they will not lose federal funding if they want a junior competition to develop young talent like they did with the TAC it would be quite within their rights to do so, but with the fact our population is so small in SA and they will only get around 15 out of the 120 drafted each year it isnt worth it, as NSW asnd QLD become more popular with their enormous populations that number will decrease as a percentage or even as an actual number

Every sport is the same the high population states supply more its simple mathematics, if more are coming from NSW and QLD then the AFL's inroads into those states is working

Lets be honest that is exactly what the AFL need to happen not only for the sport to grow but also for a return on the enormous investment they have made into those states

Its a numbers game, we dont have the numbers, pretty damn simple

Marty, please look into how the commission work, they will not expose the SANFL commission,
In order for the AFL commission to establish a under 16/18 comp in SA they need to work thru or with the SANFL Commission. there are rules.
And change to the Under 16 and under 18 will not happen until the is a complete generational change in the SANFL commission or more representation from the country areas at this time. there are too many people more concern with the SANFL clubs than the state of football in South Australia. Will still have under 15 and 17 comps country carnivals instead we should be having the country under 16 and 18 kids playing every weekend against the metro boys. you want to see first hand, how this works Ask Bicks how well the TAC comp works in the country areas.

Get out of the SANFL club scene and have a good look at the state of our Juniors. they are declining.
and will continue to do so, where are all the country junior teams, a decent junior comp will revitalise the youth and football, in general, will pick up.

If you put yourself out there you have to be prepared to cop it or gloat in how right you were

As NT Rabbit is finding out

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Dear Mr Gloater,

Please run past be again your prediction that Hugh Greenwood needed another year in the SANFL before being a chance of a game at AFL.

P.S. Have you watched the replay of The Geelong match to confirm your constant assertion that Harry Taylor kicked 5 goals on Alex Keath?:rolleyes:

Nice little swipe there from Hughie among the congratulations ;)

As I posted in another thread

Grigg's averages in 2016 - 24 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 4 inside 50's, kicked 15.16 - Gets 2 votes
Grigg's averages in 2017 - 25 disposals, 4 marks, 6tackles, 4 inside 50's kicked 19.13 - Gets 23 votes

Dear Mr Gloater,

Please run past be again your prediction that Hugh Greenwood needed another year in the SANFL before being a chance of a game at AFL.

P.S. Have you watched the replay of The Geelong match to confirm your constant assertion that Harry Taylor kicked 5 goals on Alex Keath?:rolleyes:

Seriously I said nothing of Greenwood failing please quote my post I'm more than happy for you to I didn't expect him develop as quick

And as for Keath he will be better next year but failed against Geelong as every single write up suggests

Might want to get your facts right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marty, please look into how the commission work, they will not expose the SANFL commission,
In order for the AFL commission to establish a under 16/18 comp in SA they need to work thru or with the SANFL Commission. there are rules.
And change to the Under 16 and under 18 will not happen until the is a complete generational change in the SANFL commission or more representation from the country areas at this time. there are too many people more concern with the SANFL clubs than the state of football in South Australia. Will still have under 15 and 17 comps country carnivals instead we should be having the country under 16 and 18 kids playing every weekend against the metro boys. you want to see first hand, how this works Ask Bicks how well the TAC comp works in the country areas.

Get out of the SANFL club scene and have a good look at the state of our Juniors. they are declining.
and will continue to do so, where are all the country junior teams, a decent junior comp will revitalise the youth and football, in general, will pick up.

The afl have a moral obligation only, stop writing absolute rubbish show me this made up rule because there is no such thing

If they want they can do what they like they won't because its not in their interests with the size of the state

Seriously I said nothing of Greenwood failing please quote my post I'm more than happy for you to I didn't expect him develop as quick

And as for Keath he will be better next year but failed against Geelong as every single write up suggests

Might want to get your facts right

Keath lost one or two one on one battles against a hardened KPP who only a few weeks earlier ripped the world's greatest fullback a new a-hole.

I wouldn't be reading too much into these so called journalists opinions as they have shown collectively over an extended period of time, that they talk s**t.

Re-watch the game and you will be pleasantly surprised by how Keath played.

Really unlucky to lose his place to Hartigan, who has been very good in his last two games.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Keath lost one or two one on one battles against a hardened KPP who only a few weeks earlier ripped the world's greatest fullback a new a-hole.

I wouldn't be reading too much into these so called journalists opinions as they have shown collectively over an extended period of time, that they talk s**t.

Re-watch the game and you will be pleasantly surprised by how Keath played.

Really unlucky to lose his place to Hartigan, who has been very good in his last two games.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

I think you should watch it again

I'm not fused he will get better he may still be required if we cop any injuries and him or otten may be required

If not he has another pre season to develop which is required

Kind of hard to find this stuff on the SANFL site (if it even exists), so went though all the SANFL stats myself to see who averaged what, so here's some of the top guys for a bunch of categories if anyone is interested (I put a minimum 3 game limit on it so we don't have guys like Crouch blowing everyone away from his 2 games!)

Top 10 Disposals per game
  1. Wigg - 25.2
  2. Thompson - 24.9
  3. Greenwood - 24
  4. Seedsman - 23.3
  5. Beech - 17.3
  6. Doedee - 17.2
  7. Knight - 16.3
  8. Gallucci - 16.1
  9. Murphy - 15.8
  10. Poholke - 15.5
Top 10 marks per game
  1. Seedsman - 7.1
  2. Beech - 5.8
  3. Cheney - 5.6
  4. Doedee - 5.4
  5. Fry - 4.8
  6. Wigg - 4.7
  7. Menzel - 4.6
  8. Himmelberg - 4.5
  9. O'Brien - 4.4
  10. Knight - 4.3
Top 10 contested possessions per game
  1. Thompson - 15.4
  2. Greenwood - 14.6
  3. Wigg - 9.5
  4. Gallucci - 8.2
  5. Doedee - 8.1
  6. Signorello and Poholke - 7.7
  7. Hunter - 7.6
  8. O'Brien - 7.5
  9. Knight - 7.3
  10. Seedsman - 7.1
Top 10 tackles per game
  1. Greenwood - 8.4
  2. Thompson - 8.1
  3. Gallucci - 5.5
  4. Knight - 5.3
  5. Wigg - 4.6
  6. Fry - 4.5
  7. Launder - 4.3
  8. Gore - 4.2
  9. Hunter - 4.0
  10. Menzel and Signorello - 3.8
Top 10 clearances per game
  1. Greenwood - 7.4
  2. Thompson - 7.3
  3. Wigg - 4.9
  4. Gallucci - 3.1
  5. Hunter and Poholke - 2.4
  6. O'Brien - 2.2
  7. Signorello - 2.1
  8. Gore - 1.9
  9. Knight - 1.7
  10. Seedsman - 1.6
Top 10 goal scorers
  1. Menzel - 24
  2. Himmelberg - 19
  3. Beech and Pinyon - 13
  4. O'Brien and Jarman - 12
  5. Signorello - 10
  6. Galluci and Poholke - 9
  7. Leigh - 7
  8. Thompson and Hunter - 6
  9. Seedsman, Greenwood and Dear - 5
  10. Wigg, Davis, Wittwer and Keath - 4
Going to go through tomorrow and take a look at some disposal efficiency numbers.

I think there's some definite failings in our development here in SA. Unfortunately there's little to no incentive for the SANFL and it's clubs to invest in elite level development. The other issue is a South Australian U18 comp is always going to struggle compared to Victoria just through sheer population. Where Victoria can produce an U18 comp with 8 high quality teams, we might be able to produce 2-3 teams of the same quality.

Quite frankly I think we were better off with an U19 league, as at least that way the elite junior level comp in SA could be propped up by some slightly more mature, experienced talent. Instead, our juniors have to play in senior level comps to get the same experience, in teams who's focus is on playing good SANFL footy, not on their development and there's big gulf in style and quality when comparing AFL to SANFL.

One only needs to look at mock ups of a South Australian State of Origin team to realise the dearth of talent that's come from SA in the past 10 years.

What the best model is, I'm not certain, but it's not the current model and I'm by no means saying an AFL run model would be any better. Personally I think academies for Crows and Port to assist with the development of elite young talent, that then plays through the SANFL/Schools and/or Crows/Port Reserves might work best. Although the question then becomes whether we get any special access to these kids for or hard work. Not an easy dilemma to solve.
I wonder if its just a coincidence the quality of player coming through the system has dipped since the end of State of Origin. Perhaps with that went any incentive for the SANFL to showcase their talent at the top level. Their really is no reason to do this now.
Back then I would follow every SA based player in the VFL. It was about state pride. Now I wouldn't know who is from where. It's just not that important anymore. Goddam we had some quality back then. Carlton fielded half our origin team...well 3 quality players from the SANFL system anyway. If you were to ask me to name 3 current players (not Crows) I would struggle. Popolou and that guy from West Coast come to mind. The tall guy for Collingwood with the beard.....and Gibbs!!! Good players but hardly the core of a dominant SOO team.

The SANFL needed to pump the best talent through the system to feed the VFL and SOO team. Nowadays its not so exciting. Why waste resources on players that won't fly the flag?

The SANFL are not in the same situation that the emerging markets in Queensland and NSW find themselves. These organisations have to compete with their traditional codes to an extent where they will not survive if they have the attitude and smugness of the SANFL. Thats not meant to be a criticism but it highlights the difference between the traditional and the Eastern state markets.

I have no idea how to turn this around. Our own club is mostly "Big V". The quality of the TAC Cup has seen to this. Should we really even care which competition supplies our next crop of players? As far as the AFC is concerned the under 18s in SA is of little consequence....Sadly.

Kind of hard to find this stuff on the SANFL site (if it even exists), so went though all the SANFL stats myself to see who averaged what, so here's some of the top guys for a bunch of categories if anyone is interested (I put a minimum 3 game limit on it so we don't have guys like Crouch blowing everyone away from his 2 games!)

Top 10 Disposals per game
  1. ...
Going to go through tomorrow and take a look at some disposal efficiency numbers.

Love your work. Well done. It would be interesting to compare Grigg's numbers as the medal winner to the top Crows in the SANFL. Not suggest you do it, but would be an intriguing comparison.

Well it does look like a 1st round pick bust Doedee couldn't even grab one vote in the magarey medal even jimmy Toumpas got a vote

Lol rating a defender on a midfielders medal.

Never change marty.

It's alright everyone, marty36's a long time SANFL supporter, not a Crows supporter, he knows what he's talking about

Yes I am a long time supporter having played at an SANFL club and playing for a number of grass roots clubs I probably have more insight than most

But to not realise why QLD and NSW are producing more players and Victoria you would have to be stupid

The AFL are pouring multi millions into those 3 states and for good reason it's about 75% of the population they would be dimwits if they didn't

Unfortunately we are being left out but again for good reason we are only 7% of the population if you can't see where the growth will come from then there is noting else to say

To create these elite academies or a stand alone comp like the TAC for those very very few elite kids it cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. If the AFL want to invest they can although some are saying they aren't allowed to which is absolute crap it's a totally commercial decision where these funds are spent ,we are nowhere near a priority , WA is 12% of the population they should spend it there first

The AFL will invest in locations which offer the greatest expansion we are saturated we can't even fit anymore people into AO

There isn't enough coin to go around the majority of AFL clubs are struggling financially and they control the AFL commission

Trying to get SANFL clubs to invest more come on not even AFL clubs can

Comes down to dollars and cents and the AFL have their priorities and they are justified

Bottom 10 in kicking efficiency

1. O'Brien - 48%
  2. Greenwood - 50%
  3. Marini - 52.4%
  4. Thompson - 54.5%
  5. Dear - 55.5%
  6. Hunter - 56.7%
  7. Davis - 57.7%
  8. Gallucci - 57.8%
  9. Signorello - 58.3%
  10. Himmelberg - 58.6%
Top 10 in kicking efficiency
  1. Keath - 80.3%
  2. Cheney - 80.2%
  3. Launder - 75%
  4. Knight - 72%
  5. Seedsman - 71.6%
  6. Hill - 70.9%
  7. Wittwer - 70.4%
  8. Beech - 70.1%
  9. Leigh - 69.6%
  10. Pinyon - 68.9%
Bottom 10 in handball efficiency
  1. Poholke - 64.6%
  2. Fry - 66.7%
  3. J.Brown - 68%
  4. Pinyon - 68.4%
  5. Thompson - 70.5%
  6. Gallucci - 70.9%
  7. Seedsman - 72.6%
  8. O'Brien - 73.3%
  9. Menzel - 73.8%
  10. Hill - 74.5%
Top 10 in handball efficiency
  1. Davis - 94.1%
  2. Boxer - 92.9%
  3. Leigh - 90.7%
  4. De Michelle - 90.4%
  5. Tharldsen - 88.2%
  6. Knight - 87.5%
  7. Greenwood - 86.2%
  8. Dear - 86%
  9. Keath and Beech - 85.7%
  10. T.Lever - 85.3%
Bottom 10 in disposal efficiency
  1. O'Brien - 57.8%
  2. Gallucci - 61.2%
  3. Fry - 62.8%
  4. Poholke - 62.9%
  5. Thompson - 63.3%
  6. Hunter - 63.9%
  7. J.Brown - 64.8%
  8. Dear - 65%
  9. Wigg - 66.7%
  10. Greenwood and Menzel - 67.5%
Top 10 in disposal efficiency
  1. Cheney - 82.6%
  2. Keath - 82.2%
  3. Leigh - 80.9%
  4. Knight - 79.6%
  5. De Michelle - 77.5%
  6. Launder - 77.1%
  7. Beech - 76.4%
  8. T.Lever - 73.3%
  9. Wittwer - 73%
  10. Tharldsen - 72.9%

As I posted in another thread

Grigg's averages in 2016 - 24 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 4 inside 50's, kicked 15.16 - Gets 2 votes
Grigg's averages in 2017 - 25 disposals, 4 marks, 6tackles, 4 inside 50's kicked 19.13 - Gets 23 votes
Umpires arent biased....hang on, he only got how many votes in 2016...? SPORT-AFL-Umpires-Roadshow-Troy-Pannell-New.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back