2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How he’s managed to worm his way into an influential role at AFL level is astounding. We sacked him because we knew he was a failure. And now we’ve allowed him back having actual influence again.
Adam Kelly needs to be sacked.

Some observations from a Glenelg / Crows fan.

The Crow's game resembled our AFL games. Three quarters of rubbish disposal, handballs to stationery targets, forward leads ignored and forward entry consisted of long bombs to outnumbered forwards. The last quarter was full of running, shorter passes and forward entries and teh Crows lookd the superior team. I suspect that Glenelg had put the cue in the rack by then.

Welsh had a dirty day, was clearly frustrated by not getting the ball kicked to him and was easily beaten by Glenelg's defenders. Should have been left to play at WWT where he didn't get a key defender each week and learn the game.

Curtin and Ryan were given Hosie and McBean to defend. Why? The have a combined 4 games experience and are playing against the two best forwards in the SANFL. I thought Ryan did really well, although Hosie got 4 goals, Ryan did more around the ground and contested well.

Curtin kept going but was beaten by a larger, faster more experienced player. Should have moved him at half time, swapping hm and Himmelberg was the obvious move. Baffling coaching.

Strachan won the hit outs but didn't really tap to advantage and didn't dominate around the grounds. IMO he is a good SANFL ruck not AFL standard.

Dowling was impressive, good for all 4 quarters. Taylor was good. Schoenberg had moments but was largely unseen. Noone else really put their hand up until the last quarter when the game was over.

Having a lot of injuries to key position players hurts as the team gets replacements that aren't really SANFL standard. The young guys get better opponents then they might otherwise have done and I am not sure if it is actually helping their development.

At some point you can't just blame Nicks. If players want to be selected, they should dominate the sanfl. Too bad we don't have many good players demanding selection.

Pedlar started at the first centre bounce, iirc.

If you're afl quality you'd be dominating the sanfl, much like Crouch was when he played SANFL.

Harsh reality is, our list just isn't very good. The reasons are clear, poor draft selections (mcasey, jones, mchenry, galluci). Playing players out of position stifling their development, and poor coaching, not coaching to player's strengths.

I don't agree with any of this.

A new draftee is not going to automatically dominate the SANFL or the AFL, they take 2-3 years to develop. I'd rather they were at least getting some that development time in the AFL.

Are you trying to tell me that seeing Curtin at AFL would offer at least as much or if not more than ******* Mchenry?

Some observations from a Glenelg / Crows fan.

The Crow's game resembled our AFL games. Three quarters of rubbish disposal, handballs to stationery targets, forward leads ignored and forward entry consisted of long bombs to outnumbered forwards. The last quarter was full of running, shorter passes and forward entries and teh Crows lookd the superior team. I suspect that Glenelg had put the cue in the rack by then.

Welsh had a dirty day, was clearly frustrated by not getting the ball kicked to him and was easily beaten by Glenelg's defenders. Should have been left to play at WWT where he didn't get a key defender each week and learn the game.

Curtin and Ryan were given Hosie and McBean to defend. Why? The have a combined 4 games experience and are playing against the two best forwards in the SANFL. I thought Ryan did really well, although Hosie got 4 goals, Ryan did more around the ground and contested well.

Curtin kept going but was beaten by a larger, faster more experienced player. Should have moved him at half time, swapping hm and Himmelberg was the obvious move. Baffling coaching.

Strachan won the hit outs but didn't really tap to advantage and didn't dominate around the grounds. IMO he is a good SANFL ruck not AFL standard.

Dowling was impressive, good for all 4 quarters. Taylor was good. Schoenberg had moments but was largely unseen. Noone else really put their hand up until the last quarter when the game was over.

Having a lot of injuries to key position players hurts as the team gets replacements that aren't really SANFL standard. The young guys get better opponents then they might otherwise have done and I am not sure if it is actually helping their development.
Given some of the posititional matchups, it's almost like we are trying to sabotage the performance of our young players so they can say they are not ready.

Our best young players should be played in their best position... not the top ups.

Who cares as this season is cooked.

We need to get all our best talent to 50 games asap... & that starts now.

It's not like we are winning games playing injured & mediocre players... so what do we have to lose.

At least give them a few game as a taste & never know they be the next Max or Jake who step up from game 1.
I agree about getting some talent in, just don’t think Edwards is there yet. Dowling, Taylor, Curtin and Ryan are ahead. Pedlar should come back in. I think Crouch is our best inside mid and is in form, so will come back in. There are only so many spots.

Crouch for Laird
Dowling for Berry
Curtin for Smith
Ryan for Sholl
Pedlar for McHenry

Who else is coming out for Edwards? I’m not saying to not give him games at some stage later in the season, just don’t think he’s ready yet.

I agree about getting some talent in, just don’t think Edwards is there yet. Dowling, Taylor, Curtin and Ryan are ahead. Pedlar should come back in. I think Crouch is our best inside mid and is in form, so will come back in. There are only so many spots.

Crouch for Laird
Dowling for Berry
Curtin for Smith
Ryan for Sholl
Pedlar for McHenry

Who else is coming out for Edwards? I’m not saying to not give him games at some stage later in the season, just don’t think he’s ready yet.
I would be happy with this... but would like ROB out too.

Why not change things up in the 2nd half after getting smashed? Himmelberg is a bigger body and trained there all pre season, use him on McBean. Move Curtin up to a wing/half forward.
Berg was the obvious match up for McBean with Burgess plan B.

Godden continues to kill young talent at AFC.

Berg was the obvious match up for McBean with Burgess plan B.

Godden continues to kill young talent at AFC.
I doubt Godden picks where these guys play.

Nicks sees Curtin as a Key Defender and Godden would instruct him to play there.

He trains as a Defender, not a mid or wing.

Finally get a potential elite mid in the draft and we Nicks mis judges his talent.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nicks sees Curtin as a Key Defender and Godden would instruct him to play there.

Finally get a potential elite mid in the draft and we Nicks mis judges his talent.

Nicks sees defence first.

My thought is put him in the forward lines. Surely you dont use pick 8 on a tall BP

So the match day coach doesn't get to have a say in how to use the players?

Surely not.

There would be discussions prior with Nicks, but surely it's up to Godden on the day.

Any ways they can both piss off!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being at the game today our side this year is well below the quality of 2023

Lots of ball winners have left and more injuries this year than last

Thought our best was Billy Taylor dragon and Strauchnie.

Curtin struggled against McBean but did not give up and his last qr was his best. Still think he should he play at half back where he can get more of the ball and get his confidence up

Dragon was our best forward. He took some great pack marks that no one in our squad can do today. He has been tried before but his form in the last 1/3 of last season and today in the ressies has been good He can ruck too

Maybe time for Billy. He is not the total product but he has to be better than Ned or cook who were both woeful on Friday

Taylor’s best game for year. 9 clearances and some great passes for goal assist Has worked hard on his fitness

Pedlar not fit enough. Something wrong here. Better last half but he is struggling to impact play on way he should

Strauchnie did well despite being reamed by umps with frees against and no protection from the men in pink. Surely it’s time to give him a go

Bond back at half back and had no influence. The Irishman looks lost at this stage Edwards on wing also looked lost in new role. Also copped a knock. Ryan did some good things particularly early but not ready yet. Welsh really struggled today

Time to leave SANFL. Umpires constant reaming and top ups killing momentum.
You think it will be better in the VFL?
Bahahahahahahah

Why not change things up in the 2nd half after getting smashed? Himmelberg is a bigger body and trained there all pre season, use him on McBean. Move Curtin up to a wing/half forward.
What is the point of playing Curtin at full back? Are the coaching staff thinking he needs to learn the defensive side of the game as the first step on his development? Is this the role they have him set for?
Sounds like the lad has great skills and could be an offensive weapon of hb or the wing. Why not play him there? Get him the ball, see what he offers, grow his confidence!
This is a coaching decision. And I don’t understand it, and it’s frustrating … because he could be an elite talent. And we need elite talent!!!

Given some of the posititional matchups, it's almost like we are trying to sabotage the performance of our young players so they can say they are not ready.

Our best young players should be played in their best position... not the top ups.
Defense first thinking. Curtin needs to learn to defend before he plays AFL, so make him a key defender in the SANFL to teach him. We'll constantly focus on all his weaknesses and play him to those, rather than put him in positions of strength and spend some time developing around that.

But then when you're playing him to his weaknesses, you'll always have an excuse not to play him in the AFL since he won't dominate straight away in the role.

Defense first thinking. Curtin needs to learn to defend before he plays AFL, so make him a key defender in the SANFL to teach him. We'll constantly focus on all his weaknesses and play him to those, rather than put him in positions of strength and spend some time developing around that.

But then when you're playing him to his weaknesses, you'll always have an excuse not to play him in the AFL since he won't dominate straight away in the role.
This strategy needs to change!
For me, the sign of good coaching is getting the best out of the talent at your disposal. Finding every player’s strength, developing that and using it for the betterment of the team.
Not sure we are doing that at the moment.

What is the point of playing Curtin at full back? Are the coaching staff thinking he needs to learn the defensive side of the game as the first step on his development? Is this the role they have him set for?
Sounds like the lad has great skills and could be an offensive weapon of hb or the wing. Why not play him there? Get him the ball, see what he offers, grow his confidence!
This is a coaching decision. And I don’t understand it, and it’s frustrating … because he could be an elite talent. And we need elite talent!!!
The Eagles sure as hell wouldn’t be wasting him at FB in the lower leagues. He was rated alongside Reid as the best talent of last years draft, and yet we have him playing on monsters at SANFL level in a position he will never play at AFL level.

Let’s face it, finals are not happening this year.
So let’s get games into players like Curtin who projects to be a key player when we finally contend. He will most likely thrive in better company .. elite talent usually do.
Seen enough of McHenry and Scholl for now. Time for new blood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back