Game Day Game Day: Crows v Pear, Round 8 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

no it means they had an off night kicking for goal. lol.
Ive been thinking on this all night - plus other great things - I think a little bit from A and a little bit from B

Yes they seemed to miss easy ones from set shots but general play was more throw on the boot and hope - and thats defensive pressure

The more they missed the more pressure built

That our defenders continued to strangle them highlights their efforts not Port players efforts

Can't wipe the grin off my face this morning!

Can't help but think Port really need to re-visit their list strategy. Picking up fringe players from other teams just isn't working for them. They beat their chest about how they are a 'destination club' but all they get are players that can't get games in other teams. Ratugolea and BZT were meant to be their saviors this year, but they just aren't very good.

Fog has not played well all year and gave BZT an absolute towelling.

Port have a very talented midfield, arguably one of the best in the comp, but the rest of the team is pretty ordinary.

Long may it continue! :)

The good - another 8 years of watching the brilliance that is Izak Rankine. What a player.

Can't wipe the grin off my face this morning!

Can't help but think Port really need to re-visit their list strategy. Picking up fringe players from other teams just isn't working for them. They beat their chest about how they are a 'destination club' but all they get are players that can't get games in other teams. Ratugolea and BZT were meant to be their saviors this year, but they just aren't very good.

Port have a very talented midfield, arguably one of the best in the comp, but the rest of the team is pretty ordinary.

Long may it continue! :)
Fog was on Ratugolea mostly, BZT was on Tex.

surprised seeing JHF only had 14 touches last night. Bang for buck per touch for him is unreal. Hate the pear, and I don't like JHF, but he's a deadset gun. Needs to spread and cover the ground a bit more to accumulate, but his stoppage work is elite. He was a constant threat last night.
The sort of player that makes everyone around him that much more nervous. He constantly reminds me of Danger, but with superior foot-skills and decision-making. Unlike Danger, Jason is able to routinely calm down those last few steps before hitting his target.

They beat their chest about how they are a 'destination club' but all they get are players that can't get games in other teams. Ratugolea and BZT were meant to be their saviors this year, but they just aren't very good.

If Zerk-Thatcher was Ports idea of what constitutes improving a side's defence, they may as well start looking into healing crystals as the next source of self-improvement as a football club.

Do tell…?

Players up the ground to pressure their speed and ball movement through the centre for disposals into their forward 50 allowed us to pressure pretty much all their shots on goal or caused them to be kicking from 50

Left space in our forward line and allowed our talent to have one on one opportunities or even extra number at times - easy over the top goals or set shots from marks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If Zerk-Thatcher was Ports idea of what constitutes improving a side's defence, they may as well start looking into healing crystals as the next source of self-improvement as a football club.
I saw an interview with Ken before a game (can't remember which one) and he said their problem with going out in straight sets was due to their defensive personnel and they addressed that in the off season.

As is the case every year, Ken claims the club have recruited exceptionally and this is the best list they've ever had.

no it means they had an off night kicking for goal. lol.

5 or 6 rushed behinds. There were 3-4 set shots they missed that they would have hoped to kick. Most others were scrappy snaps or hail Mary’s under pressure from 50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sort of player that makes everyone around him that much more nervous. He constantly reminds me of Danger, but with superior foot-skills and decision-making. Unlike Danger, Jason is able to routinely calm down those last few steps before hitting his target.
Yeah that acceleration to full speed followed by the short low kick to hit Rioli on the lead was a thing of beauty

Given the number of games he’s played, Keane is odds on to be a gun.
I didn't think he had the football nous or feel for the game to be an AFL player but gladly I was wrong. Becoming a really important player and I love his aggression.

Players up the ground to pressure their speed and ball movement through the centre for disposals into their forward 50 allowed us to pressure pretty much all their shots on goal or caused them to be kicking from 50

Left space in our forward line and allowed our talent to have one on one opportunities or even extra number at times - easy over the top goals or set shots from marks

So our entire game plan was up push up high from half forward?

That’s a rudimentary tactic not an entire system or game plan

We tried something that had an effect, it’s not a validation of the way we play

5 or 6 rushed behinds. There were 3-4 set shots they missed that they would have hoped to kick. Most others were scrappy snaps or hail Mary’s under pressure from 50

Two of our behinds were rushed and several of our goals were shots on the run under some pressure. Not sure you are making the point you think you were. Several of their misses weren't under pressure either.

For us to win by 5 goals kicking only 12.6 and they had 5 more scoring shots tells you they had a bad night kicking for goal. Its not an opinion, its fact. If they score just one of those, it brings it back to the centre where they were statistically likely to get the clearance and score.

Its amazing how blinded people get to flaws after a win. I'm telling you we give a side kicking accurately half the space we did to Port we lose by a country mile. Its not the defence fault, its the midfield. It was their midfield ripping us apart.

I'm happy we won, but we are 3-5 for the year for a reason.

Ive been thinking on this all night - plus other great things - I think a little bit from A and a little bit from B

Yes they seemed to miss easy ones from set shots but general play was more throw on the boot and hope - and thats defensive pressure

The more they missed the more pressure built

That our defenders continued to strangle them highlights their efforts not Port players efforts

Im the first one to admit scoring shots are a misconception. Because if a goal is scored the ball starts back in the middle and the whole dynamic of play shifts. So it being stuck down one end like it was with countless missed shots at goal wont happen if they kick goals.

What I am getting at is we were soundly beaten in the midfield. So had they kicked just one of those goals, it is more than likely they would have got the centre clearance.

Hey at the end of the day we are winners and winners are grinners. Just had things go our way.

Two of our behinds were rushed and several of our goals were shots on the run under some pressure. Not sure you are making the point you think you were. Several of their misses weren't under pressure either.

For us to win by 5 goals kicking only 12.6 and they had 5 more scoring shots tells you they had a bad night kicking for goal. Its not an opinion, its fact. If they score just one of those, it brings it back to the centre where they were statistically likely to get the clearance and score.

Its amazing how blinded people get to flaws after a win. I'm telling you we give a side kicking accurately half the space we did to Port we lose by a country mile. Its not the defence fault, its the midfield. It was their midfield ripping us apart.

I'm happy we won, but we are 3-5 for the year for a reason.
3 more scoring shots given the goals JHF and Marshall kicked from BS free and I dare say we had a better chance of gaining possessions from a center clearance than our s**t kick-ins.

Im the first one to admit scoring shots are a misconception. Because if a goal is scored the ball starts back in the middle and the whole dynamic of play shifts. So it being stuck down one end like it was with countless missed shots at goal wont happen if they kick goals.

What I am getting at is we were soundly beaten in the midfield. So had they kicked just one of those goals, it is more than likely they would have got the centre clearance.

Hey at the end of the day we are winners and winners are grinners. Just had things go our way.
We were soundly beaten in the 2nd half of the 2nd quarter and broke even for the other time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back