Review Good/Bad vs Gold Coast, Round 1 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

You know what sucks about your position AFC979810 ... It seems it's mostly "the experts know what they're doing and have a perfect plan"

Incorrect.

I have been on record of being critical of the many of the clubs decisions. This one was logical for me for the reasons I have outlined a million times.

But then you also get to say Soligo should have come on a quarter earlier!

If you get to say the plan was wrong by 1 quarter of football, why can't others say it was wrong by 2 quarters of football?

They can have their opinion as I have mine.

But then I think that if they think that Soligo should have started the game it implies that they think one of two options:

1. Burgess is incompetent has mismanaged the fitness of Soligo.

2. Burgess declared him fit, but Nicks ignored him and doesn't think Soligo is best 22 (even with a decent injury list).

I disagree strongly with both of these.

I'm not convinced it was Burgess decision.

And not only that if this was standard Burgess decision making, refer back to my previous question. Has he ever done this before?

Its always Nicks' decision as he is the head coach.

But how you can try and convince yourself that it Burgess wasn't a huge part of this and that his opinion of Soligo's fitness ultimately led Nicks to the decision is amazing.

My last post on this topic as I think we've done it to death now, cheers for the good back and forth. Let's all hope together that he starts again Geelong, runs the whole game out, and has a great one.

Incorrect.

I have been on record of being critical of the many of the clubs decisions. This one was logical for me for the reasons I have outlined a million times.
Sorry mate, didn't mean to imply that, I meant only this time. IDK your general position, it seems you're a logical bloke who thinks his statements through, much appreciated.

They can have their opinion as I have mine.

But then I think that if they think that Soligo should have started the game it implies that they think one of two options:

1. Burgess is incompetent has mismanaged the fitness of Soligo.

2. Burgess declared him fit, but Nicks ignored him and doesn't think Soligo is best 22 (even with a decent injury list).

I disagree strongly with both of these.

Yep, fair. Personally I just find it so weird that 35% TOG seem like it was the exact plan, but you still get to say you'd do it differently, but be against others saying they would also do it differently.

Or maybe you've actually never cared about that, and just sticking to "Starting Soligo as sub was right" part of the argument. IDK that feels actually mostly irrelevant.

To me the whether he starts or is sub is technically irrelevant, I just wanted him to have much higher TOG (~60-70%?) and to achieve that you generally wouldn't start as sub.

Without Tex, our forward line has no structure - nobody to demand the ball, and we break down across the middle as a result.
Finally - a post worth responding to. Tex would have made a big difference, even if he didn't kick any goals - he is an onfield coach and provides leadership to a young forward line

Out of interest who actually tipped the Crows in the tipping comp? For the record I tipped the favourites the Suns who had all the advantages of their home deck, conditions and no key players not available unless you rate Lachie Weller I suppose.
so because I tipped Gold Coast I somehow cant comment on the shitness that was Adelaide

Hot take

What if Berry had marked the ball and kicked a goal. And what if, we won the clearance, and rushed through a behind in the dying seconds to win.
You're discussing speculation above, as opposed to dealing with what actually happened. Speculation can be very interesting, for sure.
However, the what-ifs, once started, can go on and on eg:
What if the Crows had started better?
What if Sholl was taller and heavier and had Berry-like tackling intent?
What if Murphy was more effective than being just a presence, free-flopper and finger-pointer? (the latter is not leadership, btw. Leaders lead by doing,not telling)
What if Thilthorpe had not done his knee?
What if Tex had been fit to play?
What if Soligo had not been injured and not needed managing?
What if we had a better Coach? (Craig McRae, please) etc etc...
Are the coaches votes going to change so dramatically based on 60 seconds of football? Or would the losing team dominate the coaches votes in that instance.
They seem like fair questions.
Maybe the votes would have been different in the hypothetical Crows' one-point win, but we'll never know because that's not what happened.

Out of interest who actually tipped the Crows in the tipping comp? For the record I tipped the favourites the Suns who had all the advantages of their home deck, conditions and no key players not available unless you rate Lachie Weller I suppose.
If you'd told me before the game we'd lost by a goal that's about what I expected. I would've been disappointed to be so close but lose anyway

The way we played was the far more concerning thing, first 3 quarters and a bit was complete garbage. If we keep playing like that we'll be bottom 4 if not in the conversation for the spoon. It was that bad.

If you'd told me before the game we'd lost by a goal that's about what I expected. I would've been disappointed to be so close but lose anyway

The way we played was the far more concerning thing, first 3 quarters and a bit was complete garbage. If we keep playing like that we'll be bottom 4 if not in the conversation for the spoon. It was that bad.
FWIW I don’t think we’ll be that bad much often this year. Was a some bad factors for us culminating at once - we’re a terrible wet weather side, GC had a game in hand already while we were coming in only off of a PS game against the Eagles

That said, we can’t ever afford to be that sloppy and undisciplined like the first 75 mins, I hope this is drilled into us

I'll start to worry if we put up a similar effort against the Cats
Totally fair call.

For me, I worry about 2 things: better selection (according to my desires only of course 😉) and winning away from home

Unfortunately a good win next week will leave me happy, but unfulfilled in my worries.

More interested to see the changes be inspiring tbh!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the conditions and the fact we were playing a team at full strength coming off a good Round 0 win agaomst the Tigers also on their home deck whereas we were 1st up in unfamiliar conditions and down at least 2 of our best 22 players so personally I wouldn't be reading too much into that result. The Suns were heavily advantaged....I'll start to worry if we put up a similar effort against the Cats this week in what looks to be good conditions for football looking at the expected weather forecast this far out.
We kicked a goal in a half, there are no excuses for that especially when we kicked 5 in a qtr when we changed the way we played plus better structure with Soligo on.

Going small would have made no difference.

We had like 5 smaller guys at the fall of the ball most times inside 50, and they all did * all ...
... until it was too late. :mad:

Winning/tying that game might have had 2 consequences, either
1) give them a boost and confidence, not just the 4 points,
or
2) paper over the first 3 quarters' shitness.
Maybe both.
Imagine tying or stealing a game on the back of an eighth of a game of decent footy! :poov1: :expressionless:
The 6-point loss flattered the Crows and will give Nicks motivation ...
to back the boys in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back