Analysis 2024 AFC Stats Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
Couldn't find a dedicated thread in which to share, discuss and analyse footy stats related to our 2024 season so I figured I'd start one.

The first resource I wanted to share was MatchSlice which is a novel way of depicting AFL matches (such as the one that we just played) based on different phases and to assess and benchmark teams against key metrics (e.g. how many centre bounce stoppages did we win and what were our scores).

1713923814697.png

With a hat tip to Interloperer another very interesting resource is the AFL Player Ratings that are calculated for all players for all matches and (depending on your opinion!) are a much better guide to how effective and valuable a player has been in a given match than simply raw stats such as disposals or superficial metrics like Fantasy/Dreamteam points.

1713924220341.png

Just a couple of examples of stats that can help us get a deeper handle on exactly why we're so s**t ;)

Love to hear others' views of stats they find valuable and / or opinions on these stats that I've shared.

Couldn't find a dedicated thread in which to share, discuss and analyse footy stats related to our 2024 season so I figured I'd start one.

The first resource I wanted to share was MatchSlice which is a novel way of depicting AFL matches (such as the one that we just played) based on different phases and to assess and benchmark teams against key metrics (e.g. how many centre bounce stoppages did we win and what were our scores).

View attachment 1969003

With a hat tip to Interloperer another very interesting resource is the AFL Player Ratings that are calculated for all players for all matches and (depending on your opinion!) are a much better guide to how effective and valuable a player has been in a given match than simply raw stats such as disposals or superficial metrics like Fantasy/Dreamteam points.

View attachment 1969006

Just a couple of examples of stats that can help us get a deeper handle on exactly why we're so s**t ;)

Love to hear others' views of stats they find valuable and / or opinions on these stats that I've shared.
MatchSlice is on Emlyn's blog, bit easier to find stats from past games there - https://credittodubois.com/ :cool:

Good thread choice.

But how can Max be rated less effective and value than about ten (or more) players above him on the list? Can a median average be added next to the mean average?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back