WRFL Div 1 discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Is point cook the new deer park. Appear to be spending heaps of $$$.
Don’t know how they get termed the ‘new Deer Park’ after 1 pre season of spending.
Deer Park did it for a decade…..and got results!
Let’s see if Point Cook can string a few wins together first before we start getting carried away.

It looks like it Deer Park have GA, Point Cook have Greg Waugh (GW) he had been heard telling a lot of people that he will make sure Point Cook spend 100% of the salary cap.
And the rest. 2 ex AFL Geelong, plus Deery now Burton who is a gun. Plus I believe at least 1 more announcement prior to Xmas of another good player.

Last edited:

The new recruits have history with the new coach clay smith ! I guess that’s what you get when you play afl . Burton was a PC junior.
Totally understand but they still will demand good coin especially to play in this league which after 2 clubs have left is really probably one of the bottom leagues. Below southern league now imo.

The issue with Deer Park is that unlike the Premier Division of the EDFL or NFDL they were the only club paying significantly above the others.

Initially when there was no salary caps or points there really was no issue. Once points came in they recruited under 19s from other clubs to get around this but that never really worked.

Then the Salary cap came I which was and still is a joke. It cannot be policed so all it really did was cast Deer Park as cheats when they were doing nothing different to clubs in other competitions, it is just the case that none of the other WRFL clubs were dripping in money.

They were forced away with their points allocation for this season given the interrupted covid seasons as well as lack of juniors to come through a large part due to demographics.

After finals they finished 4th well short of the top 2. At the EDFL they have a minimum of 46 points so may be able to recruit. However, they are now in direct competition with significantly stronger full clubs so their progress will be interesting.

As for the WRFL, there are significant issues going forward and losing these 2 clubs may not be close to the biggest issues they are facing

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Excellent post, I know in the EDFL there were at least 8 clubs paying between $250K to $450K, prior to the so called salary cap being introduced in 2017.
All that is required by clubs is to make their books fit the cap, that's all end of story, its impossible to police.
Some ways around the cap not all, is sign on fees big up front small weekly amount, clubs split individual player money between football and cricket seasons, cricket doesn't have a cap. Players work for sponsors especially in the building trade, extra weekly dollars for hours not worked, one EDFL club gave a players partner $1K a week for a few hours in the canteen. Another example a car was purchased for a player, the club paid it off over 2 seasons, holiday bills picked up at seasons end, with cash there are many other ways. Have points that's fine the salary cap is impossible to enforce, it just creates issues and speculation which may be right or wrong.

Excellent post, I know in the EDFL there were at least 8 clubs paying between $250K to $450K, prior to the so called salary cap being introduced in 2017.
All that is required by clubs is to make their books fit the cap, that's all end of story, its impossible to police.
Some ways around the cap not all, is sign on fees big up front small weekly amount, clubs split individual player money between football and cricket seasons, cricket doesn't have a cap. Players work for sponsors especially in the building trade, extra weekly dollars for hours not worked, one EDFL club gave a players partner $1K a week for a few hours in the canteen. Another example a car was purchased for a player, the club paid it off over 2 seasons, holiday bills picked up at seasons end, with cash there are many other ways. Have points that's fine the salary cap is impossible to enforce, it just creates issues and speculation which may be right or wrong.
Exactly, the salary cap is pointless. Just base it on the player points as that's the best way for the system not to be beaten.

Was below SFL before DP and St Albans bolted... Rename it Werribee & District Football League
Yes, bring it back WDFL as it was in 1964 +/- before it was renamed the WSFL, then subsumed into a renamed FDL, viz WRFL. Back to the future! Bring back Metro Farm, Werribee South and Irish National Forresters which will enhance and enlarge the new Werribee DFL.

Totally understand but they still will demand good coin especially to play in this league which after 2 clubs have left is really probably one of the bottom leagues. Below southern league now imo.
When St.Albans and Deer Park left, one of the comments on here was for Yarraville and Point Cook to "Step Up".....

Maybe they are just filling the void

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should they do nothing and keep finishing in the bottom 2 while the same clubs play finals every year?
Don’t agree with clubs breaking the cap but realistically how many are I under the cap? Wouldn’t be many. Across the state in metro div 1 and the higher ranked country leagues I would guess close to all of them would be over the cap. Creative accounting at its finest.
It would be good for the WRFL if Pt Cook, Yarraville, Centrals etc could jump into the top 5 and shake up the comp. Look at Caro this year. Their improvement pushed spotty out of the finals which is rare. Werribee made a GF from 5th or 4th I think. An even comp would be a good comp I reckon.

Can somebody please tell me why some WRFL clubs close by the Maribyrong River, haven't got or seem to have struggled for years with juniors?

Clubs like Braybrook, North Footscray, Parkside and North Sunshine come to mind.
Then on the EDFL side, Ascot Vale have reinvented themselves and are expanding.
Maribyrnong Park and Aberfeldie, have close to the maximum number of 4 junior teams for every age group, all these clubs are only a few kilometres apart.

Surely there must be some way of sharing ideas and learning's, over that last decade between clubs and both Boards.

Can somebody please tell me why some WRFL clubs close by the Maribyrong River, haven't got or seem to have struggled for years with juniors?

Clubs like Braybrook, North Footscray, Parkside and North Sunshine come to mind.
Maribyrnong Park and Aberfeldie, have close to the maximum number of 4 junior teams for every age group, all these clubs are only a few kilometres apart.

Surely there must be some way of sharing ideas and learning's, over that last decade between clubs and both Boards.
Even though its only a few km's that seperate these clubs i think the demography is different in those areas. Places like Sunshine to Footscray have a large Vietnamese population where as those clubs in the areas you mentioned dont. Generalistic comment I know but this is backed up by the last sensis.

Travis Varcoe signed on YSE.
Loved watching him in the AFL should bring some excitement to the league!

Even though its only a few km's that seperate these clubs i think the demography is different in those areas. Places like Sunshine to Footscray have a large Vietnamese population where as those clubs in the areas you mentioned dont. Generalistic comment I know but this is backed up by the last sensis.
I think the inner West clubs are effected like you say large pockets of migrated Australians with no interest in AFL. Also an aging demographic.

I think we can compare clubs like Newport and Yarraville to Ascot Vale, young families moved there 15 years back the great buy and reno the old style homes period, they have gone from an aging population to families.

West Footscray have been growing junior numbers of recent years.

If you want to see growth and power clubs have a look at AFL Barwon juniors, even before Covid clubs were booming, covid has just added a lot more people down there

Have you actually been to Braybrook, then ventured over to Maribyrnong? Go to Sunshine, then venture on over to Aberfeldie. Think the answer is pretty obvious.

And people slam Deer park. I mean how much is YSE paying for Varcoe and how much are PC forking out for their recruits and need I ask how much CS paid out this year to FAIL.
YSE have recruited 1 high profile player. Let’s remember they have a lot of juniors come through the system there. Point Cook to I guess..

Demographics…age of population, multiculturalism, economic status all play a big part too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back