WRFL Div 1 discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

fairly polite but good response from the clubs socials...
I wonder if the person complaining is even involved around the club?

Local leader reporting WRFL is appealing DP and StA move again.

Appeal hearing date to be determined.
WRFL again appeals Deer Park and St Albans’ EDFL moves

Two local footy clubs dreaming of a move to a neighbouring competition again have their futures up in the air. Here’s why.

The future of two wantaway Western Region Football League clubs is again up in the air.

WRFL officials have confirmed they will again appeal to AFL Victoria about the potential moves of Deer Park and St Albans to the Essendon District Football League.

“Following on from previous updates regarding the objection of Deer Park and St Albans’ application to transfer to the Essendon District Football League, the WRFL Board has opted to exercise its right to go through the AFL Victoria appeals process after both objections to transfer were dismissed,” the WRFL said in a statement.

Under AFL Victoria policy, the WRFL had 10 days to appeal the previous decision.

This period of time was set to expire on Friday.

The date of the appeal is yet to be determined.

Earlier on Wednesday, the WRFL confirmed two new clubs would enter the competition in 2023.

Aintree will enter junior sides while the VU Western Spurs will compete in the women’s competition.​

hahaha, I'm pretty sure both YSE and PC spent nowhere near their total Salary Cap last year, they didn't overpay their players, which means they have room to recruit new/better players. Good mamangement, built on top of strong junior numbers starting to eventuate.

Just like CS, who are a few years ahead in their junior development. They had a core base of local product playing, and they paid imports to come and play around them for success.

All the right way to do it. But just doing it the right way doesn't guarantee you win the flag!
Fair response. Sat down with a mate from CS and he went through the players on the day who were homegrown. Bloody good players, the young blokes were impressive and there's more to come.
I hear they've got Pepi from St Albans. Smart recruiting.

WRFL should just give up.
Rather than maintain clubs that don't want to be in the comp, get creative and find ways to work with what you've got. Bone lazy.

It’s certainly a tough one and if I was the league I would be doing everything I could to keep the two clubs. The league could sell a deal that the two clubs stay for 1 more year under new boss Dick Hinton and give him a genuine chance to mend the broken relationships. Then if that fails they are free to go. Everyone is a winner that way

WRFL should just give up.
Rather than maintain clubs that don't want to be in the comp, get creative and find ways to work with what you've got. Bone lazy.

Interesting because I don't think many clubs in the EDFL want them either......

I'm not sure what the WRFL are playing at. By going through yet another appeals process, all they are doing is damaging DP and StA ability to recruit, which in turn puts them at a disadvantage regardless of which competition they play in. If the WRFL win, they manage to keep 2 clubs that don't want to be in here, 2 clubs that will be weakened and thus add nothing to the competition and ultimately make it a weaker, less valuable product. Hmmm......

I'm not sure what the WRFL are playing at. By going through yet another appeals process, all they are doing is damaging DP and StA ability to recruit, which in turn puts them at a disadvantage regardless of which competition they play in. If the WRFL win, they manage to keep 2 clubs that don't want to be in here, 2 clubs that will be weakened and thus add nothing to the competition and ultimately make it a weaker, less valuable product. Hmmm......
My gues would be financial more than anything...

There's a fair chunk of affiliation fees out the door if the two clubs move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like how they are making it somewhat difficult. Perhaps they are learning from experiences that other leagues have dealt with in the past. In the mid 90's Sunbury, Gisborne, Darley, Melton, Melton South (maybe more clubs than that) all left the RDFL in the space of a couple of years and almost destroyed that competition.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back