WRFL Div 1 discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon their departure is a good thing for the league as I reckon Division 1 will be pretty close and competitive next year, plus the league admin won't have so many issues to troubleshoot with the voucher distributors being elsewhere. Bring on 2023.
You from Laverton 😂😂😂🙄

I reckon their departure is a good thing for the league as I reckon Division 1 will be pretty close and competitive next year, plus the league admin won't have so many issues to troubleshoot with the voucher distributors being elsewhere. Bring on 2023.
You are not wrong.

Firstly well done to Deer Park with the 7 in a row. Not all of them were controversial, only 4 and you will have reunion after reunion.

However, moving leagues means they really have lost a lot of meaning. You are now in a competition where more clubs have deeper pockets, stronger traditions and great junior programs. Your past has no relevance to them at all. Good luck with that.

St Albans despite paying well have not really been a force for well over a decade. Understand why you moved but are now competing directly with the clubs you were concerned about.

The WRFL get your act together. Your comp is in trouble, have a good think about where you are really heading and plan for that.

The city of Wyndham may be a huge growth area but it is not an AFL growth area by any means. Support and work better with all of your traditional clubs

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree with Iachy, the WRFL have lost well at least currently, 2 keys Division 1 clubs that have been key long term members of the FDL/WRFL for 60 years.

Then Mortlock Watcher you mention less issues to worry about from a WRFL perspective.
Far more pressing and concerning issues would be Newport and Wyndhamvale loosing match points for spectator brawls in Division 2 during 2022. Division 3 clubs like Laverton and North Sunshine are on life support forfeiting games, with one not completing the season. West Footscray somehow still playing in Division 2 after not winning a senior game for 4 seasons. WRFL umpires refusing to umpire at a club venue in 2022, which is unheard of anywhere.
Premiers Braybrook Division 3 Reserves, refusing to take the field and forfeiting match points, as they were concerned about opposition violence.

Plenty of other examples, this is not WRFL bashing, just trying to point out over many decades Deer Park and St Albans have been important, key, leading WRFL clubs and are irrareplacable.

Last edited:
With the two clubs leaving, where does that leave the WRFL having 3 Divisions, will it be back to 2 divisions in 2023, would be terrible for Lavo, North Sunny and to a lesser extent Heights and Tarneit.

With the two clubs leaving, where does that leave the WRFL having 3 Divisions, will it be back to 2 divisions in 2023, would be terrible for Lavo, North Sunny and to a lesser extent Heights and Tarneit.
Looking at it. It really aint that big of a deal losing the two clubs and we can still run the 3 divisions.

Lets hope we can get a Manor Lakes back up, Rockbank over to the WRFL (which the majority of the club wanted) and maybe target 1-2 more clubs. Not all doom and gloom.

Id go like this, hope im not missing any clubs :D

Div 1:
Altona
Caroline Springs
Werribee
Hoppers Crossing
Point Cook
Point Cook Centrals
YSE
Spotswood

Div 2:
Wyndham Vale
Parkside
Newport
North Footscray
Sunshine
Wyndham Suns
Albion
Braybrook
Glenorden

Div 3:
Laverton
North Sunshine
Albanvale
Sunshine Heights
Tarneit
West Footscray

Looking at it. It really aint that big of a deal losing the two clubs and we can still run the 3 divisions.

Lets hope we can get a Manor Lakes back up, Rockbank over to the WRFL (which the majority of the club wanted) and maybe target 1-2 more clubs. Not all doom and gloom.

Id go like this, hope im not missing any clubs :D

Div 1:
Altona
Caroline Springs
Werribee
Hoppers Crossing
Point Cook
Point Cook Centrals
YSE
Spotswood

Div 2:
Wyndham Vale
Parkside
Newport
North Footscray
Sunshine
Wyndham Suns
Albion
Braybrook
Glenorden

Div 3:
Laverton
North Sunshine
Albanvale
Sunshine Heights
Tarneit
West Footscray
I thought the preference for Diy 1 was always to have a 10 team competition, no point playing Div3 season, just play finals now, with 6 team comp, Lav and North aren't playing finals.

That's why I was wondering about viability of 3 div comp, either way you are robbing Peter to pay Paul, unless they get more teams, there will be arguments on structure of comp.

Big part of the reason West Footscray and North Sunshine are on life is because your power clubs Deer Park and Altona refused promotion into div 1 after winning the premiership in div 2.
Both clubs showed no balls at the time and west and north have never recovered after being forced to stay in div 1

Well done Avg at best, yes this could work although it will create only 8 clubs in Div 1. Which means only 14 home and away games or an unfair draw, where you play everyone twice and 4 clubs 3 times. If you play every club 3 times its 21 games, with no breaks for public holidays or rest rounds, impossible to squash it in under the current final 5 system. Div 2 can work by promoting a team that didn't win the Div 3 flag and relegating last place from Div 1, although you create a weekly bye. Div 3 would be the biggest concern on 2022 happenings, some clubs not fielding 2 sides weekly, with another pulling out prior to the season concluding. If that occurs again it could be 2 games weekly for Div 3, which just cant happen and would be ridiculous.
Is 2 divisions for 2023 the best outcome for the short term?

Last edited:
Big part of the reason West Footscray and North Sunshine are on life is because your power clubs Deer Park and Altona refused promotion into div 1 after winning the premiership in div 2.
Both clubs showed no balls at the time and west and north have never recovered after being forced to stay in div 1
The WRFL rules should run promotion and relegation, with the basic system used in all other metropolitan leagues. Clubs shouldn't be able to choose when or if they are promoted, or finish last and still stay up in that division, which happens currently. In the EFL, VAFA, EDFL or NFL you earn the right to go up or down through effort and form, full stop, nothing else should be or is considered. The points you make from recent past history a decade ago are correct, so WRFL learn and dont make these mistakes again.

9 teams in Div 1, it may create a bye, but it gives you your 16 game season, top 5 is still ok rather than top 4.

Plus, while people say they hate buys, it does give club volunteers a weekend away from footy as well during the season.

9 Div 1
8 Div 2
6 Div 3

I think either way the league need to move fast, clubs need to know where they are playing, how many games, etc

Very hard to have a player budget if you don’t know how much you can spend each game. Cap is important but so is number of games - look at Div 3 premiers, 2022 budget is based on 16 games, 2023 budget will be based on 18 games (presuming there is 8 teams in 2023). 2 games makes a big difference.

Realistically, the league should already have the answer and should have consulted clubs already as a contingency. Has this occurred??

Well done Avg at best, yes this could work although it will create only 8 clubs in Div 1. Which means only 14 home and away games or an unfair draw, where you play everyone twice and 4 clubs 3 times. If you play every club 3 times its 21 games, with no breaks for public holidays or rest rounds, impossible to squash it in under the current final 5 system. Div 2 can work by promoting a team that didn't win the Div 3 flag and relegating last place from Div 1, although you create a weekly bye. Div 3 would be the biggest concern on 2022 happenings, some clubs not fielding 2 sides weekly, with another pulling out prior to the season concluding. If that occurs again it could be 2 games weekly for Div 3, which just cant happen and would be ridiculous.
Is 2 divisions for 2023 the best outcome for the short term?
Yeah was just a bit of a f*** around without thinking too much about it
No doubt a club like the Suns are good enough for div 2, perhaps even to make finals in div 2
Will be interesting to see what happens!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much better having a tighter, competitive 8 team D1 than forcing 2 D2 Clubs up who wouldn't be competitive. Wouldn't be good for those two short and long term. A tight, competitive 8 team D2 last season was the most interesting division in the competition.

The WRFL should go with 8 short term but with the stated objective of returning to 10 by 2025, subject to the retention of the current clubs. This would give clubs such as Parkside, North Footscray and perhaps Albion 3 seasons and not 3 months to bridge the gap to D1. Hopefully the new CEO who began his new job today hits the ground running and can quickly sense the crossroads the comp finds itself in.

Think it's important we retain 3 divisions with a view of encouraging a few more clubs over and Manor Lakes to return. Don't forget there are several new junior clubs developing who may field seniors sides in the next 5 years e.g Truganina with Aintree Giants joining this year (I think).

You would think the wrfl will be regretting the move of Deer park & St Albans but I doubt it. How could management of a league who cannot even arrange suitable catering for a finals series for paying spectators be expected to consider the impact of two long standing clubs exiting the league. Despite all the animosity towards deer park there is no doubt it was a match up that was looked forward to by every club and by every player worth their salt.
RIP WRFL.

You would think the wrfl will be regretting the move of Deer park & St Albans but I doubt it. How could management of a league who cannot even arrange suitable catering for a finals series for paying spectators be expected to consider the impact of two long standing clubs exiting the league. Despite all the animosity towards deer park there is no doubt it was a match up that was looked forward to by every club and by every player worth their salt.
RIP WRFL.
Disagree with you mate. People were saying to boycott DP games a few years back. They won one of their flags by 130 pts. That’s not a competition. That’s playing for second, hence difficult to recruit and weakens the comp overall.
Will be interesting to see how clubs go recruiting with them gone now.
I’ve never bought into the deer park hype personally. When they stayed in div 2 after winning a flag that’s how I remember them. I don’t respect there recent history. When they had a legitimate chance to be courageous as a club they failed. Once GA jumped on board it was easy to play the role.
Respect is earned. Not paid for.

The great GA was well respected in EDFL circles, must have been at Greenvale then Maribyrnong Park for 15 seasons or more.

His efforts along with many other good club people, took these 2 clubs from weekly floggings in lower divisions, to multiple Premier Division flags.
Both clubs have great stability now, with excellent junior and women's programs, multiple grounds, great lights and scoreboards, very professional outfits.

Glen was also on the EDFL Board for a short time around 2010, now Deer Park has come across, coincidence maybe.

Both clubs have great stability now, with excellent junior and women's programs, multiple grounds, great lights and scoreboards, very professional outfits.
Deep Park don't have any of that.

I wonder why his EDFL success wasn't replicated here.

I wonder what will happen to their juniors (1 DP team and 1 combined team with Albion). I wouldn't be surprised to see their junior find new WRFL clubs to be honest

The great GA was well respected in EDFL circles, must have been at Greenvale then Maribyrnong Park for 15 seasons or more.

His efforts along with many other good club people, took these 2 clubs from weekly floggings in lower divisions, to multiple Premier Division flags.

Glen was also on the EDFL Board for a short time around 2010, now Deer Park has come across, coincidence maybe.
Please don’t give GA the credit for the rise of Greenvale. Greenvale is the club today on the back of 2 great men in Bruce Kent and Ken Hutchinson. Yes those guys have had lots of help over the last 20 years but the amount of time those to men have put into the Greenvale sports club both footy and cricket is amazing. GA was there for about 5 mins compared to those to men. It’s disrespectfully to say it was GA that made Greenvale the club it is today

Please don’t give GA the credit for the rise of Greenvale. Greenvale is the club today on the back of 2 great men in Bruce Kent and Ken Hutchinson. Yes those guys have had lots of help over the last 20 years but the amount of time those to men have put into the Greenvale sports club both footy and cricket is amazing. GA was there for about 5 mins compared to those to men. It’s disrespectfully to say it was GA that made Greenvale the club it is today
I wasn't comparing him to Bruce and Ken big fella, who have been at GFC 30 years since day one, I was merely pointing out his contribution to local footy.

Must say my WRFL knowledge isn't fantastic, however everyone seems to complain constantly about Deer Park, yes I get the $$$ situation.
Clubs like Aberfeldie and Spotswood have played off in 8 A Grade grand finals in a row over recent times, yet there is very little said about them.

I wasn't comparing him to Bruce and Ken big fella, who have been at GFC 30 years since day one, I was merely pointing out his contribution to local footy.

Must say my WRFL knowledge isn't fantastic, however everyone seems to complain constantly about Deer Park, yes I get the $$$ situation.
Clubs like Aberfeldie and Spotswood have played off in 8 A Grade grand finals in a row over recent times, yet there is very little said about them.
The issue with Deer Park is that unlike the Premier Division of the EDFL or NFDL they were the only club paying significantly above the others.

Initially when there was no salary caps or points there really was no issue. Once points came in they recruited under 19s from other clubs to get around this but that never really worked.

Then the Salary cap came I which was and still is a joke. It cannot be policed so all it really did was cast Deer Park as cheats when they were doing nothing different to clubs in other competitions, it is just the case that none of the other WRFL clubs were dripping in money.

They were forced away with their points allocation for this season given the interrupted covid seasons as well as lack of juniors to come through a large part due to demographics.

After finals they finished 4th well short of the top 2. At the EDFL they have a minimum of 46 points so may be able to recruit. However, they are now in direct competition with significantly stronger full clubs so their progress will be interesting.

As for the WRFL, there are significant issues going forward and losing these 2 clubs may not be close to the biggest issues they are facing

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Deep Park don't have any of that.

I wonder why his EDFL success wasn't replicated here.

I wonder what will happen to their juniors (1 DP team and 1 combined team with Albion). I wouldn't be surprised to see their junior find new WRFL clubs to be honest
But the move is suppose to have kids from other Wrfl clubs knocking on the door to join DP cause they don’t have to play against friends anymore😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back