Restricted Free Agent Will Hayward [RFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't offer more than 600k.
If Carlton are offering 800 they can have him.

Got to pay overs (financially) to get good players to the club. Plus the Salary Cap is going up an extra couple of million when the next TV rights deal is negotiated in the next year or two.

Surely the Crows can afford to pay it given Sloane is off the books at the end of the year/Tex likely to retire etc ?

Adelaide's not that far off from contending (imho) and he is a SA lad..

Unless the Crows are making a big play for some other player(s) I don't see why you/they wouldn't pay him to bring him over.

Can’t see why the Swans wouldn’t give him a 6 year deal also, we’re doing longer deals with most of our players

Monster offer if true. Not sure we could match the $$.

I am surprised the Crows are looking to continue to invest so much in their forward line but a quality SA free agent is hard to turn away. He makes any team better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am surprised the Crows are looking to continue to invest so much in their forward line but a quality SA free agent is hard to turn away. He makes any team better.
We need more of Rankine and Rachele in the midfield, Rankine has played there this year and been excellent and Rachele played there for the first 8 weeks last year and averaged 20 disposals and kicked 10.10.

If it means Murphy and McHenry aren’t picked anymore I’m all for it. Hell I’d probably pay more.

With McAdam leaving we have lost that hybrid not small/not tall type that also creates pressure. Also allows Rach and Rankine to play more around the ball and the past couple of weeks can see it has been beneficial to have Rankine around the ball.

800K with new cap coming in looks a lot now but probably is above average wage but not massively in a few years time.

We clearly have money lying around somewhere if we threw 10 years at Gulden and now 6/800K at Hayward.

If it means Murphy and McHenry aren’t picked anymore I’m all for it. Hell I’d probably pay more.

With McAdam leaving we have lost that hybrid not small/not tall type that also creates pressure. Also allows Rach and Rankine to play more around the ball and the past couple of weeks can see it has been beneficial to have Rankine around the ball.

800K with new cap coming in looks a lot now but probably is above average wage but not massively in a few years time.

We clearly have money lying around somewhere if we threw 10 years at Gulden and now 6/800K at Hayward.
Yep, 600k under the new agreement will be $771k in 2027. Think we as fans need to accept 800k is about what a good role player will cost in the near future.

Yep, 600k under the new agreement will be $771k in 2027. Think we as fans need to accept 800k is about what a good role player will cost in the near future.
If clubs can get in early with FA’s too and get them a fair whack of their money in the next year or so it’ll open up more options later too.

But I think the money side of things needs to be slightly forgotten until the new deal comes in and we see where “average” sits.

They probably see Rachelle , Rankine & Hayward as players with midfield abilities
Surely Essendon have shown them 20 years of what that's going to be like. They need a big body in there. It'll be fine if they can land both without putting pressure on their salary cap, but I suspect that won't be the case.

We need more of Rankine and Rachele in the midfield, Rankine has played there this year and been excellent and Rachele played there for the first 8 weeks last year and averaged 20 disposals and kicked 10.10.

Both could be excellent mids but I’m not sure either will be full time in there (particularly Rachele). I think their tricks are somewhat wasted higher up the ground even if it means they get their hands on it more. I will admit Rankine has transitioned better than I expected.

There was an article today by David King on Izak Rankine. I for one have said since day dot he will become an elite midfielder and it seems he is already on the way there. By getting Hayward, it allows the Crows to play Izak almost full time in the midfield along with Rachele who was a mid at underage level and has shown craft there. To my eye, its a structurally smart attempt to secure a quality offensive player that will overall benefit our stucture. And if Sydney don't match IF he chooses to leave, they will likely get band 1 compo for him and it won't cost us any draft capital. I am on board with it for those reasons.

Surely Essendon have shown them 20 years of what that's going to be like. They need a big body in there. It'll be fine if they can land both without putting pressure on their salary cap, but I suspect that won't be the case.
I wouldn't be so sure.
Had a 1 million per year offer for Gulden on the table.
Allegedly 900k for Petty which thankfully fell over.
Reports of us chasing Hayward and Perryman.

Wouldn't be shocked to see us end up with Hayward/Perryman and LDU/McCluggage combo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back