Western Border FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

On past comments, I don't think Penola are keen on going back to the WB - then again, their attitude may have changed in recent years.

Penola thought their juniors would struggle but I’m hearing now they are a bit sick of competing against teams further North that bring in the bus loads from Adelaide.
Personally I think it would be a good move for Penola but I don’t think it’s going to happen.
When they left they thought they were going to be another shrinking country town but then the Aussie wines went boom.

How likely is it that Penola could join Portland in an expanded WBFL next season?

The Eagles have long held the view that they didn't want to return to the WB but I have heard recently that this view is not as strong given the info in Boston Tiger's post above.

An eight-club WBFL would be more viable but none the less still susceptible if one club wants out. Casterton-Sandford still seems keen on life in the MSE instead.

How likely is it that Penola could join Portland in an expanded WBFL next season?

The Eagles have long held the view that they didn't want to return to the WB but I have heard recently that this view is not as strong given the info in Boston Tiger's post above.

An eight-club WBFL would be more viable but none the less still susceptible if one club wants out. Casterton-Sandford still seems keen on life in the MSE instead.
As I have alluded to their is change happening in the South West league over here that may be attractive to Casterton

Taken over the GSWFL juniors from next season
Great idea. They could even play say Portland v Heywood jnrs prior to say Dartmoor vs Heywood and rotate them around. Gives younger players exposure to the different senior clubs in the area. Should really boost the swdfnl numbers once these kids move up through the ranks. Having played in both comps it's only a positive. I used to run around in the old hjfl when the teams were unofficially aligned to the schools it seemed like it ran really well.

Great idea. They could even play say Portland v Heywood jnrs prior to say Dartmoor vs Heywood and rotate them around. Gives younger players exposure to the different senior clubs in the area. Should really boost the swdfnl numbers once these kids move up through the ranks. Having played in both comps it's only a positive. I used to run around in the old hjfl when the teams were unofficially aligned to the schools it seemed like it ran really well.
The Portland side will represent Westerns - unfortunately the Hamilton Juniors and Portland Juniors no longer exist with both clubs now fielding sides in the Hampden Junior Comp on Sunday’s. I think Dartmoor will struggle but they’re hoping to get some kids out of the Mount

Last edited:
So has the East and Casterton joining the Mid Se and rest of the WBFL clubs joining KNTFL fallen through?

There has been no further mention of it

So has the East and Casterton joining the Mid Se and rest of the WBFL clubs joining KNTFL fallen through?

There has been no further mention of it
Lots of moving parts here - all reliant on dominos falling - once a be goes the rest will follow - but it relies on one or two falling first as that will dictate the rest and which direction that they fall - there is a lot going on on both sides of the border behind the scenes in both major and minor leagues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any news how Penola’s meeting with the SANFL went last night

According to Play HQ data quoted by Mr Mourbey, there are 170 players registered in the KNTFL who live in Adelaide.
He said Penola had no Adelaide players but Kingston had 22. o_O

What are the numbers of travellers from Adelaide for the Mt Gambier clubs?

If they are lower than some of the KNT clubs, you could see the pendulum swinging the Western Border's way - especially if they get the alleged incentives offered to them and also Portland re-joining the fold which would get the number of clubs up to eight and ensure the WB stays around for a bit longer.

There is a fair bit happening this side of the Border, Casterton may come back to the South West League
This situation has dragged on for along time, with numerous reviews and everytime different recommendations
I wonder how AFL Victoria would've handled it

This situation has dragged on for along time, with numerous reviews and everytime different recommendations
I wonder how AFL Victoria would've handled it
My honest opinion is "No better" - this s**t is hard, no one likes change. People remember the glory days of the past with rose coloured glasses. When I was a lad, the Mininera League had 10-11 Clubs.

Caramut Swans
Glenthompson Bloods
Dunkeld Kangaroos
Woorndoo Tigers
Hawkesdale Cats
Penshurst Bombers
Willaura Saints
Tatyoon Hawks
Wickliffe Magpies
Lake Bolac Bombers
SMW Rovers Bulldogs

All sides had juniors.

Fast Forward 35 years it still has 12 clubs but due to mergers and changes its very different. Going forward I see a few more falling over. So travel becomes a bigger issue. No one likes admitting defeat but it always occurred to me that the WBFL, KTNFL and Mid SE had to morph into two leagues. Getting the balance right was always going to be an issue in terms of standard and travel. The easiest thing would be for the WB clubs to merge into the Mid SE, but that would create some mismatches in the initial stages and I am not sure how you do equalise that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back