Grimsey

Rookie
Apr 3, 2012
Portland
AFL Club
Carlton
Whatever happened to Penola to joining the Wbfl
I thought that was going to happen back in 2018

Wasn’t the original plan that the furthest kntfl clubs join the mallee league and the rest of the Wbfl, mid se and kntfl form a 2 tier competition

Whatever happened to Penola to joining the Wbfl
I thought that was going to happen back in 2018

Wasn’t the original plan that the furthest kntfl clubs join the mallee league and the rest of the Wbfl, mid se and kntfl form a 2 tier competition
I’m not sure how to break this to you but...the Mallee League finished in about 2015. Casterton will drop back into the South West - SACFL will need to sort it out, which won’t happen

I’m not sure how to break this to you but...the Mallee League finished in about 2015. Casterton will drop back into the South West - SACFL will need to sort it out, which won’t happen
[/QUOTE
So does Casterton have an option for junior footy
Pretty certain Mallee was going in 2019, not sure if they are up and running again

Chief let me assure the Mallee League has been dead for a few years - they were down to 5 sides; Ouyen United went into the Sunraysia after merging with Walpeup Underbool, Southern Mallee Giants (Hopetoun & Beulah) played the final season 2015 then went to Horsham & District and eventually Wimmera. Woomelang Lascelles just folded and Sea Lake Nandaly Tigers went into the North Central League. Casterton juniors can play in the GSW Junior League which incorporates the former Portland & Hamilton junior leagues.

Last edited:
Chief let me assure the Mallee League has been dead for a few years - they were down to 5 sides; Ouyen United went into the Sunraysia after merging with Walpeup Underbool, Southern Mallee Giants (Hopetoun & Beulah) played the final season 2015 then went to Horsham & District and eventually Wimmera. Woomelang Lascelles just folded and Sea Lake Nandaly Tigers went into the North Central League. Casterton juniors can play in the GSW Junior League which incorporates the former Portland & Hamilton junior leagues.

Mallee league in SA

Mallee league in SA
Ok - 6 team comp, Murrayville have been struggling for kids for some time and lots have headed over to Ouyen / the problem is that no one actually lives in these places and there’s no major town to supply players.
Rationalisation/ Mergers are essential, but the peak body has no money to facilitate it

It will be a big break if it happens.
As i understand things the MSEFL doesn't feel like it owes the WBFL anything and as far as Penola goes my impressions are the same.
Cant see it happening voluntarily or by force.
Having said that local footy needs something to recreate its profile in the area.

I’m hoping something can be worked out between south Gambier and Kalangadoo if the do join
Kalangadoo need juniors and south have way too many

(Log in to remove this ad.)

South East regional football ‘elder statesman’ Keith Sneath has unleashed a withering attack on the sport’s governing body in this
state, the SANFL. On the eve of the 2023 season opener, he is upset the SANFL has signalled it will force a merger of the Mid SE and Western Border football and netball competitions in 2024. “If a merger with the Western Border is forced on the Mid SE, as a last resort, the Mid SE should seriously consider dis-affiliating from the SANFL,” Mr Sneath said.

Mr Sneath approached The SE Voice and asked that his opinions be aired in print.

“The Mid SE is doing very well and no change is necessary. It began in 1936 and has barely changed in almost 60 years,” he said. “We have up to 600 netballers and 700 footballers across all grades in the Mid SE. “Why stuff up a good league? There should be common sense shown by the SANFL.” The SANFL Merit Award recipient said it was “a bad mix to have clubs from a city competing with clubs from small towns”. “We have always regarded ourselves as a country league and a family league,” he said. “If we are forced to merge with the Western Border, then the Mid SE should go alone.

“The insurance situation will need to be sorted out. “Likewise, we will have to create a solution so there is still a pathway to the SANFL and AFL for our young players. “This can be done.”

Mr Sneath suggested there could be some changes at three of the clubs currently in the Kowree Naracoorte Tatiara Football League.
According to Mr Sneath, Kingston could join the Mid SE while Naracoorte and Penola could join the Western Border.

His involvement with the Mid SE dates back to the 1950s and includes being a player, sponsor and club and league administrator. Mr Sneath served four years as Tantanoola Football Club president followed by a lengthy period on the Mid SE executive committee culminating in a decade as its president.

The citation for his rare SANFL Merit Award states it was for his “long and valuable service to Australian football”.

The 81-year-old remains active in business circles as a commercial property developer and investor and was elected president of the Lions Club of Beachport and Rivoli Bay in 2022. He is a past president of both the Mount Gambier and Millicent racing clubs.

15 team league call it South East Border FNL, smaller town teams will be the concern.
I thought the WB could have gotten Coleraine and Penola in.
Hamilton could start a new team to go into WB, surprised that hasn't happened.

IMG_20230512_102423.jpg
This is just a snippet of the situation.
This just isn't the way. How out of touch is the SANFL. Keith travelling to the mount is ridiculous.
WB Had the nucleus for a league, just needed to pinch a few teams over the next couple of years. Or by force.

15 team league call it South East Border FNL, smaller town teams will be the concern.
I thought the WB could have gotten Coleraine and Penola in.
Hamilton could start a new team to go into WB, surprised that hasn't happened.
Hamilton field another team? What are you 🚬 man? Don’t discount the South West League changing over this way and bringing Casterton back

Hamilton field another team? What are you 🚬 man? Don’t discount the South West League changing over this way and bringing Casterton back
Just a thought, I'm guessing by your reaction you think they wouldn't have the numbers. I think they could do it. But would need time and planning. Won't happen anyway.
Casterton in the sw would be ideal but with sw having no juniors its an issue. Unless jnrs from Casterton were somehow involved in the Hamilton and Portland jnr league

Just a thought, I'm guessing by your reaction you think they wouldn't have the numbers. I think they could do it. But would need time and planning. Won't happen anyway.
Casterton in the sw would be ideal but with sw having no juniors its an issue. Unless jnrs from Casterton were somehow involved in the Hamilton and Portland jnr league
Sth West now has juniors - Hamilton have no hope of fielding another side there are currently 6 - 7 teams within 30 km’s of Hamilton - population is declining - teams will drop off not increase - Portland and Hamilton junior leagues no longer exist

If I was the MSEFL, I'd be disaffiliating. This was a review which had the outcome pre-determined all along. A lot of the contents are baffling to think they supposedly came from football people.
It’s going to be very hard to handicap the 4 Mount sides whatever the outcome. I always thought logic had the WB, Mid SE & KTNFL wild be merged into 2 but who plays in the major league would always be the big issue

Good for the SW that the Hamilton and Portland jnrs no longer exist. Can only assume then that Casterton don't want to join SW thinking they are at a better standard or that SW don't want them as they'll be too strong. A shame, makes sense with them being half Sanford. Splitting the Mt sides is madness imo. One of the leagues should be Mt Gambier based and be the strongest league.

North, south,east,west, Millicent, port Mac, robe, Mt burr, Penola. Atleast the travel wouldn't be bad.
Sth West now has juniors - Hamilton have no hope of fielding another side there are currently 6 - 7 teams within 30 km’s of Hamilton - population is declining - teams will drop off not increase - Portland and Hamilton junior leagues no longer exist

Remove this Banner Ad

Back